This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you want MMORPGs to tell you a story?

#61KillerTrufflePosted 2/24/2014 11:41:45 AM
^ That would actually be very cool also - some of the best players could actually be promoted to GMs as well. I've always longed for a way to really translate the pen-and-paper with GM style gameplay *smoothly* into computer. And a system like that would actually flow very smoothly into the whole concept of players generating the story and endgame material. The GM players could also have the power to spawn minions and custom bosses and stuff. Could have some very interesting results.

One thing I think it would be great to get rid of in MMOs is the whole universal chat system. One thing I always hated was how as soon as you log in, you basically see everything everyone on that server is saying. IMO, "looking to sell" and "looking to buy" should be relegated to a specific message board type system - you actually approach a bulletin board or something and have access to universal sales/looking for stuff. Chat, IMO, should be limited to realistic earshot only. That would be a major step toward making a game more roleplay-centric and immersive. You can provide a way for people who want to chat with others on the server a way to do that, but don't just automatically force it on *everyone*.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#62r7gerrabbitPosted 2/24/2014 11:42:21 AM
No.
In an MMO I want the players to tell the story. Not the developers.
---
Sig.
#63reincarnator07Posted 2/24/2014 12:23:00 PM
Not exactly. I want to have some sort of effect on the world, some sort of lasting impact.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#64Sub TankPosted 2/24/2014 12:47:48 PM
I hate it when MMORPGs pretend like you're the only important character, and there aren't a thousand other guys running around doing the exact same thing as you.
---
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
#65hitokiri13Posted 2/24/2014 12:54:32 PM
I played World of Warcraft. Your the one that makes the story. I have a lot of stories of PVP and exploration. There are few moments of achievement I'm not talking about those achievements in-game tab. I mean real ones that you feel that you achieve something.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#66Hi CPosted 2/24/2014 1:17:48 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
SonyHoundDawg posted...

EQ1 had it right

Freeport had corrupt guards, Felwithe was under attack by crushbone orcs being funding by dark elves. Blackburrow gnolls in kara. There was so much stuff going in the world, you didn't be ZOMG its leet hero guy who went through this crappy ass story as he leveled from 1-60. EQ1, WOW and EQ2 did it fine.

I absolutely loved EQ's lore. Most zones had some sort of cool story behind it, and you just kind of pieced it together as you went. It's also what I love about games like dark souls.

I HATE when video games try to force narrative down my throat because it's almost universally god-awful. Just give us a cool world with its own politics and factions and villains and heroes, and let us be a part of it.

I hate when games force you to do some massive overarching "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE!" Story, when there are 50 other PCs sitting in front of the questgiver.

In EQ, you start out killing rats and selling beetle legs to a vendor so you can afford a weapon that isn't rusted.

Post of the thread.
---
You'll be my John G.
#67BogePosted 2/24/2014 2:59:12 PM
I don't care about story with MMOs. I just want awesome combat, awesome coop, an awesome huge seamless world I can freely explore with exploration actually having reward, awesome strategic battles that are challenging instead of pressing 1 and 2 and then celebrating.

Crap, I could go on forever. Let's just say MMORPGs are a great thought, but they need a serious revamp.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#68akuma634Posted 2/24/2014 4:00:47 PM
The story was the best part of SWTOR. I'd like more games to be that ambitious, but of course the gameplay was very substandard in TOR. I'd like a MMORPG that really does things different, sort of like the concepts behind Guild Wars 2 and then have the great storytelling of TOR. I don't think you can say a genre shouldn't be allowed to try and tell a good story. Look at the latest Mortal Kombat game, it greatly raised the bar on fighting game stories and Injustice took it even further. I'd like more progressiveness in gaming as a whole, don't half ass anything just because of what's expected of you.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Zu6jtNK.jpg
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#69LaManoNeraIIPosted 2/24/2014 6:01:34 PM
I'd prefer a MMO be designed in a way that gives players plenty of opportunities to create their own stories.

So, no, I don't like single player design being rammed into MMO design
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009