This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How fast of an internet plan should I get?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How fast of an internet plan should I get?
2 years ago#1
I've been limited up until now on what plans I could get by college and parents. I recently bought a house and I now have to choose what I am going to get. What internet speed should I aim for? I don't want to pay too much for something I don't need and don't want to watch my videos buffer for hours.

I mostly:
Watch HD movies online
Play PC games
Email, messaging, etc.

I live alone but that may change in a few months.
2 years ago#2
10-20
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
2 years ago#3
2 years ago#4
10 as a minimum, 20 would be better. What are your options?
We march for Macragge!
And we shall know no fear!
2 years ago#5
Depends on your options and pricing.

I get 50 down for $40 a month. If I wanted 100 down it would be $100/mo -- too expensive to justify the extra speed IMO.

Since you live alone, 25 down should be good, but I wouldn't get less than 10. Less than that and video streaming starts to go.
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
2 years ago#6
SampsonM posted...

I get 50 down for $40 a month. If I wanted 100 down it would be $100/mo -- too expensive to justify the extra speed IMO.

Since you live alone, 25 down should be good, but I wouldn't get less than 10. Less than that and video streaming starts to go.

Is that a promo man?I pay 65 a month for 60 down but i only have 2 choices 60 and 80 which 80 is like 115 too high for 20 more.
3820 5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | 3way FTW670 4gb |Sammy 830 256gb SSD I sammy 1tb l Mobo ASUS Rampage IV Formula l ASUS PB278Ql PSU ST1500 l HD598 l HDTV PN51D8000
2 years ago#7
jonnyram4000 posted...
SampsonM posted...

Is that a promo man?I pay 65 a month for 60 down but i only have 2 choices 60 and 80 which 80 is like 115 too high for 20 more.

I happen to live in an area that's served by AT&T Uverse, Comcast and WOW, so everytime they try to jack up my rate, I just call and say I'm switching. Competition is amazing, too bad so few people get access to it.
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
2 years ago#8
Depends on where you are. I'm paying $70 or so a month for 50/5, but I can use 500+ GB of bandwidth a week.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
2 years ago#9
I'm paying $70 for 50 down. I'm ok with it, I actually get 50 without a cap and there's really no other decent option around here so I'm happy that they're not gouging me. I imagine 20 or 25 down would be fine if you don't have more than one other person using the connection.
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
2 years ago#10
ISDN line
~-> este914 <-~
Mind Over Matter.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How fast of an internet plan should I get?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived