The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thief gets a 6.8/10

#1Spidey555Posted 2/24/2014 7:21:12 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/24/thief-review
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#2PokenubPosted 2/24/2014 7:27:11 AM
It's IGN. That score is worth nothing.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3ThePonyColliePosted 2/24/2014 7:27:25 AM
Meh. It's a $10 game at most.
#4nonexistingheroPosted 2/24/2014 7:31:56 AM(edited)
Pokenub posted...
It's IGN. That score is worth nothing.

While I agree with you, I can't say the new Thief particularly looks great in terms of gameplay as they seem to be going backwards in terms of game mechanics.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#5PraetorXynPosted 2/24/2014 7:36:33 AM
So... let's recap.

1. A hub world with near-constant loading screens like Deus Ex 2
2. Special arrows really only work in contextual situations placed by the developers
3. No jump, you have to use contextual climbing
4. Very linear level design
5. Game is designed around crutches like Focus Mode and the ability to dart 15 feet ahead of you instantly

Yeah. <$5 Steam sale if at all.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#6blax34dmPosted 2/24/2014 7:42:59 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
So... let's recap.

2. Special arrows really only work in contextual situations placed by the developers
5. Game is designed around crutches like Focus Mode and the ability to dart 15 feet ahead of you instantly

This
#7SpazH3dPosted 2/24/2014 7:48:16 AM
This really doesn't surprise me. Why is the color scheme so horribly muted too? The originals were at night, but still had color everywhere.
---
- My vision is augmented
#8Kerr AvonPosted 2/24/2014 8:12:15 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
So... let's recap.

Well summed up. Granted my hopes weren't high for the game, but I'm still *very* disappointed. It's not even a bad Thief game from the sounds of it, as it completely misses the gameplay and immersion of the Thief games. Even if it was a good game (which it looks like it totally isn't), it wouldn't please people looking for the Thief experience, as it deviates so much from the freedom and feel of the Thief series.

I really hate so much of modern gaming :o(
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#9Bellum_SacrumPosted 2/24/2014 8:14:11 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
So... let's recap.

Too bad 2, 3, 4 are wrong and in the case of 5, you don't understand what a crutch is.

There is too much loading though, much like Dishonored, Deus Ex: HR and Thief: Deadly Shadows.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#10dekouPosted 2/24/2014 8:18:36 AM
It's a decent review. Looks like linearity is the worst thing about this game, as I suspected it would be. Add poor storytelling to the mix and you've got a reboot that botches everything that made the originals great.