This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thief gets a 6.8/10

#211ZethPosted 2/25/2014 8:04:11 PM
Thief is going to end up as one of those games that get blasted at release but everyone slowly warms up to it as people forget about the release-hate and plays the game to see it has its own merits.

It'll be the reverse of Skyrim where everyone and their mom was praising it as best game ever but people slowly saw some of the flaws and while still a great game, not the GOAT like the release-hype made it out to be.
---
"Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
3DS FC: 5172 0388 6449
#212Crux5Posted 2/25/2014 8:21:08 PM
I was really hoping this game would be good :(
#213steveboblarryPosted 2/25/2014 8:35:35 PM
Just started playing the game, pretty good so far
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#214ShadowThaReaperPosted 2/25/2014 8:49:50 PM
Zeth posted...
Thief is going to end up as one of those games that get blasted at release but everyone slowly warms up to it as people forget about the release-hate and plays the game to see it has its own merits.

Nope.

It's the game where people feebly try and defend it just to be contrarian, despite the fact that it has major flaws. Eventually, nobody will talk about it, except for on occasion where one of said contrarians brings it up to once again try and defend it, even though nobody really liked it.

Just like DmC.
#215ZethPosted 2/25/2014 9:04:45 PM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Nope.

It's the game where people feebly try and defend it just to be contrarian, despite the fact that it has major flaws. Eventually, nobody will talk about it, except for on occasion where one of said contrarians brings it up to once again try and defend it, even though nobody really liked it.

Just like DmC.

The post above you says they like it. Where's your argument now?
---
"Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
3DS FC: 5172 0388 6449
#216LoshadtPosted 2/25/2014 10:58:22 PM
Zeth posted...
The post above you says they like it. Where's your argument now?

That does very little to counter his argument. And he's pretty much right, if this wasn't called Thief and didn't stir up the controversy it did, there would be very few people from either camp talking about it. No, it isn't the worst game ever, but it's certainly not a good game either. I don't know why anyone would spend money on this when there are hundreds of better games that could be played instead. After a little while the only time this game will really come up is when somebody inevitably makes another dumbed down reboot to another great series, and then we will continue this cycle.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#217TheOtherGuyXPosted 2/25/2014 11:07:16 PM
There are so many fan missions, mods, tweaks and even The Dark Mod -- there's no point of this to even exist or anyone even interested in Thief to waste time playing it. Just another franchise being necroed for the wrong reasons and tainted. As if Jagged Alliance:BIA and Dungeon Keeper mobile weren't bad enough.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#218jakisthePosted 2/25/2014 11:29:38 PM
Haven't read the entire topic yet, but any word on the mod capabilities of this one?
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#219Spidey555(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 3:58:09 AM
Not sure, would be nice if there is.
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#220Logical_OnePosted 2/26/2014 4:34:06 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
Back on topic. Thief is fun. Yep, its linear, yep you can't jump but you know what? Swooping around on max difficulty with no alerts is still stressful and fun. Haters gonna hate.

Meh. I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap just to turn all the challenges on and run through it 100%on Master to say I've done it.

How the hell could they f*** up the level design that badly. From what I've seen of the game in videos, the damn hub world isn't much bigger than one of Thief 2's levels, and they didn't have loading screens.

Its not too bad. The areas generally feel coherent and make sense. They aren't all that large but the texture work is pretty good (mostly). I can see why they designed it that way considering not everyone has a beast machine. The load screens are a couple seconds at most here. I still can't praise the game too much as I've only beaten about 4 scenarios but there is a ton of loot to find and collect. The secrets are decently hidden at times and it definitely still FEELS like a thief game if you played them as a stealth purist.

Going back to thief 1 recently was actually a chore for me. Yes the level design was great but the movement was about as basic as it gets and there really isn't much to the overall game design there either. You get put in a barren map that has several routes to get to the main objective and several side rooms with minor loot. That remains here but with the one caveat being there are more 'hallways' joining the more open sections. I've rarely felt like there wasn't another option for getting around so far. Also you CAN jump from a ledge to your death, and you can jump up pretty much any logical spot you would expect. The swoop mechanic is a bit overpowered but only because you can use it more than once in a row. The replayability if you like hunting down all the treasures is actually pretty high. I have yet to see if the leaderboards take time into account but if they do I can see it having a decent speed run fun factor.

I'll reserve any further judgement for after I beat it but so far I'm quite satisfied and I have enjoyed thief 1 and 2 quite extensively.

I have to agree--well worth the $25 I paid on GMG.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun