This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thief gets a 6.8/10

#221AlleRacingPosted 2/26/2014 6:21:14 AM(edited)
SilentHawk29 posted...
Really? Try looking at most of the sub 5 reviews on metacritic, like this one for example:

Uh, I told you to look at them because I already have, and I mentioned what I saw. You cherry picked the first snippet of a review that supported your initial claim. While some certainly comment on the character makeover, that criticism is usually relegated as a minor caveat. The largest complaints, present in nearly every single review, are the poor combat, colour-coded enemies, and low difficulty.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dmc-devil-may-cry/user-reviews?dist=negative

SilentHawk29 posted...
Oh, I don't know... The fluent gameplay, good level design, tight controls, decent length, decent graphics, minimal bugs, good voice acting...

Terrible plot, bad writing, poor platforming sections, ridiculously easy gameplay, no reward for variety.

It wasn't a bug fest with broken controls and poor gameplay.

Being bug free with functioning controls doesn't automatically afford a 60% in my book, and a lot of the gameplay was poor, namely, the combat.

Whether you liked it or not is a different story and that's where the other 40% comes from.

How about things like great writing, combat that rewards variety and style, an acceptable difficulty selection, great graphics, excellent replayability. Those are some things I might expect at a 90% rating. When something is in the 85-90% range, I don't want to hear the word 'decent' to describe it, because that score is obviously inflated.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#222SilentHawk29Posted 2/26/2014 8:17:55 AM(edited)
AlleRacing posted...
Terrible plot, bad writing

Same thing, more or less. What was so bad about the plot anyway?

poor platforming sections

3 had quite a bit of platforming as well while navigating the tower.

ridiculously easy gameplay

If you are a hardcore action game fan. Try Darksiders if you want "ridiculously easy gameplay." Difficulty could have been better, I agree, but it wasn't the worst ever. It's just like the arguments saying the D. Souls games are ridiculously hard. It's an over-exaggeration from people not accustomed to games with moderate difficulty.

no reward for variety.

Aside from statues and end-level rankings (pretty sure DmC had this as well? Been awhile since a touched it), there were rewards for variety in the previous games? I don't know about you, but I varied my attacks because I enjoyed watching the combos play out, same in DmC.

and a lot of the gameplay was poor, namely, the combat.

You keep saying this, without explaining how so. It played just like a DMC game, with some added enhancements, like easily being able to combo multiple weapons together.

quoteHow about things like great writing/quote

Because the previous games had wonderful writing? LOL.

quotecombat that rewards variety and style/quote

Again, you need to explain this.

The bottom line is it played fluently with minor issues. Difficulty and the fact that it doesn't play exactly like previous DMC games does not mean it is a less-than-mediocre game. Sure, I don't think it deserves 90%, but it's certainly at least 70-75%.

Edit: and this is my last post about the matter. Explaining how a game like DmC isn't a 0-30% game like some people make it out to be is getting to be ridiculous. Same with most decent games that come out and are labeled as trash.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#223TrialZero654Posted 2/28/2014 12:08:01 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
So... let's recap.

1. A hub world with near-constant loading screens like Deus Ex 2
2. Special arrows really only work in contextual situations placed by the developers
3. No jump, you have to use contextual climbing
4. Very linear level design
5. Game is designed around crutches like Focus Mode and the ability to dart 15 feet ahead of you instantly

Yeah. <$5 Steam sale if at all.

Too bad 2, 3, 4 are wrong and in the case of 5, you don't understand what a crutch is.

There is too much loading though, much like Dishonored, Deus Ex: HR and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

What? Thief: DS was made over a decade ago, and i have no idea what you're talking about with Dishonored and DE: HR, Dishonored in particular has very few loading areas and even so, it's the one game on my computer with the fastest loading screens i've ever seen, averaging maybe 2 seconds per loading screen... if that's too much/too long for you, then holy **** are you spoiled
---
"Our glory and our downfall. Embrace the terrible risks of war; drive home the spear." - A Talent For War
GT: Trialzero
#224ShadowThaReaperPosted 2/28/2014 8:10:54 AM(edited)
I like how someone made a thread on Reddit about Thief getting its first patch.

People are so butthurt that they'll post any sort of good info that comes out about the game, no matter how small it is.
#225calcyclePosted 2/28/2014 10:48:29 AM
I would like to test out the game, but it keeps crashing on startup.

Blessing in disguise? Probably not since I still paid for it.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#226ShadowThaReaperPosted 2/28/2014 10:54:10 AM
calcycle posted...

Try running it as administrator.
#227DoomkillaPosted 2/28/2014 11:13:19 AM(edited)
ShadowThaReaper posted...
I like how someone made a thread on Reddit about Thief getting its first patch.

People are so butthurt that they'll post any sort of good info that comes out about the game, no matter how small it is.

I think it's the opposite. People are going to great lengths to get others to know that it isn't as good as its predecessors. Which to be perfectly honest, weren't as shiny as they made them out to be anyway and the crowd they're going for is much larger than before. You're more than capable of making it as difficult as the previous games. But, jesus do a lot of the posts in this thread (and more) scream entitled. People really need to get over themselves.
---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#228Logical_OnePosted 2/28/2014 11:12:13 AM
calcycle posted...

It kind of is. I beat it and IMMEDIATELY uninstalled. The last 2 chapters were torture (especially considering how creepy and interesting chapter 5 was). All I have to say is:

There was a boss fight and it was just laughable (technically 2 if you count running from cover to cover while avoiding a bursting woman and picking up shards a boss fight). Think Human Revolution bad boss fights, except the whole game was nowhere near the quality of DE: HR.

It started out OK but then the whole game went off track--terrible story, horrible voice-acting and sound quality, inconsistent platforming, brain-dead AI and a pathetic map layout.

Lastly, more than 60% of the game was not even about being a Thief. Chapters 4-8 (inclusively) were not about being a Thief but rather rescuing a girl; you could steal as a byproduct of being around loot and not because it was the point of the mission.

Meh.

I guess don't regret buying it for only $25 (closer to $10 or $15 would have been better) but I will most definitely never play it again.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun
#229TheOtherGuyXPosted 2/28/2014 12:27:28 PM
Doomkilla posted...
People are going to great lengths to get others to know that it isn't as good as its predecessors. Which to be perfectly honest, weren't as shiny as they made them out to be anyway and the crowd they're going for is much larger than before.

What the hell does that even mean? "Shiny"? No, they weren't "shiny" and didn't try to be. What they were and still are to this day are the best stealth games ever made -- with the best mechanics and level design in the genre. I guess that doesn't make them shiny though. Feel free to tell that to the countless people that continue playing them, modding them, discussing them, and the numerous fan missions and maps still being created over a decade later.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#230steveboblarryPosted 2/28/2014 12:28:53 PM
Logical_One posted...
calcycle posted...

It kind of is. I beat it and IMMEDIATELY uninstalled. The last 2 chapters were torture (especially considering how creepy and interesting chapter 5 was). All I have to say is:

There was a boss fight and it was just laughable (technically 2 if you count running from cover to cover while avoiding a bursting woman and picking up shards a boss fight). Think Human Revolution bad boss fights, except the whole game was nowhere near the quality of DE: HR.

It started out OK but then the whole game went off track--terrible story, horrible voice-acting and sound quality, inconsistent platforming, brain-dead AI and a pathetic map layout.

Lastly, more than 60% of the game was not even about being a Thief. Chapters 4-8 (inclusively) were not about being a Thief but rather rescuing a girl; you could steal as a byproduct of being around loot and not because it was the point of the mission.

Meh.

I guess don't regret buying it for only $25 (closer to $10 or $15 would have been better) but I will most definitely never play it again.
---

Chapter 5 was great. I am on 6 now I hope it will not be that bad
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw