This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How quickly do dying hard drives usually fail?

#1temgunPosted 2/24/2014 9:58:38 AM
I got a new hard drive and it's making scratching noise and clicking. I pretty sure that alone is not enough for warranty, so how quickly do hard drives die?
#2Killah PriestPosted 2/24/2014 10:00:25 AM
can range from "shes dead jim" to "years of a bad sector or two appearing here and there until it finally dies"
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3fataliPosted 2/24/2014 10:01:14 AM
Scratching noises should be enough for a warranty, I would try to contact the manufacturer right now and tell them what the drive is doing.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4-CJF-Posted 2/24/2014 10:05:10 AM
It's usually right away that they start having problems or 4-5+ years. Since yours is brand new and already making noises, I would take advantage of the warranty.
#5Fade2black001Posted 2/24/2014 10:07:59 AM
I got a HDD drive that everything says its in poor health. I mentioned it here once and everyone said It will die soon. Its been a few months later now and its still kicking. So....
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#6KillerTrufflePosted 2/24/2014 10:15:33 AM
There is no rule about how quickly it will happen, just like there's no rule about how quickly your tire will go flat if you get a hole. You could end up with a slow leak over a couple of weeks, or you could end up with a hole that empties it in seconds, or anywhere in between.

If you're starting to have bad sectors show up though, it's a good idea to start seriously looking at replacing it sooner rather than later, unless you simply don't care about anything that's on the drive.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7SinisterSlayPosted 2/24/2014 10:16:36 AM
temgun posted...
I got a new hard drive and it's making scratching noise and clicking. I pretty sure that alone is not enough for warranty, so how quickly do hard drives die?

I got a portable drive that's been doing that for 4 years already, still works fine. I don't trust it though.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8wildog2006Posted 2/24/2014 2:09:06 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
I got a HDD drive that everything says its in poor health. I mentioned it here once and everyone said It will die soon. Its been a few months later now and its still kicking. So....

when your PC decides to not boot one day, you'll come crawling here for help. we'll all point, laugh, and tell you that you should have replaced it when it was still under warranty. i'm even going to tag you as such for the future so i can laugh the hardest.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#9PsythikPosted 2/24/2014 2:11:51 PM
Anywhere from 5 minutes to three years. At least you're getting the warning signs so you have time to back up. I had a perfectly healthy WD drive suddenly die on me without warning.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#10r7gerrabbitPosted 2/24/2014 2:29:23 PM
Its called the click of death.
When you hear that just back up and move on. The drive is ready to die but that could happen any time between now and a year from now.
---
Sig.