This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How quickly do dying hard drives usually fail?

#11Dark ElfPosted 2/24/2014 3:14:22 PM
It depends on the type and scale of damage (the last dying drive I had lasted about a week; managed to back up most of the data before I couldn't copy anymore). I'd get that replaced immediately.
#12Rolen47Posted 2/24/2014 5:48:19 PM
I've had a laptop harddrive die and a desktop harddrive die. For the first 2 days they would boot up very slow, then after that they wouldn't boot at all.
#13Fade2black001Posted 2/24/2014 6:59:43 PM
wildog2006 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I got a HDD drive that everything says its in poor health. I mentioned it here once and everyone said It will die soon. Its been a few months later now and its still kicking. So....

when your PC decides to not boot one day, you'll come crawling here for help. we'll all point, laugh, and tell you that you should have replaced it when it was still under warranty. i'm even going to tag you as such for the future so i can laugh the hardest.

Uh... No I wont. I know how to take care of it. Thank you. The only thing you can do about a dead HDD is replace it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#14arleasPosted 2/24/2014 7:37:30 PM
I had a hard drive die within a week of "symptoms" showing. I had another take almost a year to finally croak. I think I actually prefer it when it dies quickly. At least then you can just chuck it and move on instead of holding on to it on life support for a long time.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#15fatboy44Posted 3/2/2014 5:16:43 PM
Where did you order or buy it from? If your purchased it in the last 30 days it would probably easier to just return to the store instead of having to ship it back to the manufacturer and wait.
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio
#16ATARIJAWAPosted 3/2/2014 7:25:43 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
wildog2006 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I got a HDD drive that everything says its in poor health. I mentioned it here once and everyone said It will die soon. Its been a few months later now and its still kicking. So....

when your PC decides to not boot one day, you'll come crawling here for help. we'll all point, laugh, and tell you that you should have replaced it when it was still under warranty. i'm even going to tag you as such for the future so i can laugh the hardest.

Uh... No I wont. I know how to take care of it. Thank you. The only thing you can do about a dead HDD is replace it.

Is there any piece of technology you own that you don't have trouble with?
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#17saltedhamPosted 3/3/2014 12:23:43 AM
time to back up all that hentai imirite guys?
---
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!
#18rpgianPosted 3/3/2014 1:21:00 AM
Fast for me. If your hard drive is acting up at all you should buy another and back everything up. The warranty for a $100 ish tb drive in no protects you from the real loss which is your data. It's like a rake breaking but also unraking your yard in the process. Your value is in the time and only you can protect that.

I'm not sure I'd send mine in anyway for warranty unless I had a big magnet box or something to pre clear it due to all the spying revelations but I'm sure something like that would void warranty too.
#19R_BrockPosted 3/3/2014 7:56:48 AM
This is a bad question. Because everyone will have different experiences. And no matter what someone says or what the majority says, if you have a different experience you'll feel like you were led astray if you're expectations aren't met.

I had a 60GB IBM DeskStar, which was in the branding of worstest most unreliable hard drives ever made. Mine took about a year to fail. But that's just an anecdote and I didn't realize it was failing at the time. I thought it was because I was traveling quite a bit with my desktop and unplugging and plugging it back in seemed to fix it up for a bit.

Do you know what sane people do who know what a failing harddrive is? They go get a new drive (if needed) and back their dying drive up and then ditch it. As it will fail. When it will completely fail is unknown. If you wait until it fails it will certainly almost be an infuriating inconvenience. And who knows you'll probably be back asking how much it costs to use a HDD data recovery service.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.