This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys play the most graphically demanding games a majority of the time?

#1TreGoodaPosted 2/24/2014 1:45:20 PM(edited)
I game on a lot of different devices but I would say I game on the pc more than anything else. I can play all of the graphically demanding games on high or max (depending on the game) with my current rigs.

However, I notice that while I do mostly play games exclusive to pc while gaming on pc, I rarely play games that are the most demanding graphically. I'm currently addicted to Smite and was previously addicted to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I also mix in games of Civ 5 and Total War with my buddies (we own them all).

This leads me to my question(s).

I'm also a console gamer (own almost every console except the PS4 which I will eventually get). I also visit the X1 and Wii U boards on occasion because I own/play games on these consoles.

Can anybody explain to me why it seems console gamers on these boards only care about slight resolution differences or the slightest graphical differences between the consoles? It doesn't make any sense. If this is really what motivates them, why are they playing consoles to begin with?

Are graphical differences your main motivation for gaming on PC?

Discuss.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#2jake-sfPosted 2/24/2014 1:48:27 PM
Graphical differences are pretty much number zero in my list of meaningful differences between PC and console. When thats all people can talk about, I just sigh and get out. I have a great PC, but I ultimately don't give a damn about graphics, and my graphic card is almost never running at its peak. In fact, it hasn't in a long while.

Its also funny that graphic whores exist both in the console & PC world.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3maybecallsPosted 2/24/2014 1:50:36 PM
My main game has been Warband for a long time, so.................no.
#4pothocketPosted 2/24/2014 1:54:30 PM(edited)
To me, PC gaming has nothing to do with graphics power or any other silly BS that doesn't really matter to gaming. It's all about ownership.

You buy a console, that's not your console. That's Sony's hardware in there, Sony's operating system, Sony's library of content. It's not yours.

My PC, however, belongs to me. I decide what hardware it runs on, I decide the software. It's mine and it makes all the difference in the world.
#5TheOppositePosted 2/24/2014 1:55:24 PM
I really haven't played anything graphically demanding on PC in a long time. I played Ys: OiF through in the last few weeks, and I've played a lot of Torchlight in the last year, but I've lost interest in modern shooters and WRPGs (not that I've played a lot of them apart from Crysis 1 and Skyrim).
#6SilentHawk29Posted 2/24/2014 2:23:19 PM
Last graphical game I played was Assassin's Creed 4. I don't bother playing games just because of the graphics, even though I can max most games out at 30+FPS, I just play what I want to play. Like right now I'm playing Grim Dawn in anticipation for the act 2 release.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#7BogePosted 2/24/2014 2:25:30 PM
For multiplatform games, the graphical difference on PC is my main reason for going PC. I have to have that resolution and framerate. Even if I couldn't get as good of textures or lighting as the console version, I'd still prefer the PC version so I could customize those graphics to give me that framerate and resolution.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#8Loserman15Posted 2/24/2014 2:28:22 PM
pothocket posted...
To me, PC gaming has nothing to do with graphics power or any other silly BS that doesn't really matter to gaming. It's all about ownership.

You buy a console, that's not your console. That's Sony's hardware in there, Sony's operating system, Sony's library of content. It's not yours.

My PC, however, belongs to me. I decide what hardware it runs on, I decide the software. It's mine and it makes all the difference in the world.

But, most likely, every game you own just about is in-fact not yours, but on a digital library.
#9HighOnPhazonPosted 2/24/2014 2:29:09 PM
The games I've been playing for the last year have been from 1998/1999/2000 so...no
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#10foodeater4Posted 2/24/2014 2:38:11 PM
Its just stupid people on the internet. Kids have always fought about consoles since I was in elementary school.

Nes Vs Sega
SNES vs Genesis vs Turbographics
PS1 vs Saturn
Ps2 vs Dreamcast vs Xbox
360 vs Ps3
etc

You can bet your ass if apple computers were more PC like and you could build your own and run apples versions of games people would fight about pc's too. People already argue a bit about Nvidi and Intel vs AMD.

Most console kids say like ZOMG a computers to expensive and yeah the upfront cost is a bit more, but youll save in the long run on games, or at the least break even.

Anyways as far as games go, I just play what I like. I recently put together a new $1000 computer and I find myself playing Path of Exile and Titan Quest the most which I was already able to run max on my old computer. I mainly got the new PC to play ESO and DA3 later on the year and whatever other games come out that im interested in.