This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to create a mod

#1ThePaleRiderpPosted 2/25/2014 3:51:45 PM
I'll be making a mod for the first time I was thinking about modding games like ff7, ff8, theif, tr etc. Anybody have any experience or know the programs I should use?
---
PSN: OverlordZeit 3DS FC: 2895-6437-9632
XBL: VongolaXIIIZeit Steam: thepaleriderp
#2TES_NutPosted 2/25/2014 3:54:12 PM
Choose a game then find out what kind of resources it uses. Like what is the engine, what is the file format for the graphics, video and audio.
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"
#3KillerTrufflePosted 2/25/2014 3:56:58 PM(edited)
"Make a mod" is an awfully non-specific thing. What are you wanting to mod? Gameplay? Models/textures? Maps? Game modes?

You have to know what you want to mod before you just say "I want to mod." You're not going to use Photoshop much if you just want to edit text or max health or something.

EDIT: As he mentioned above too, you need to pick a game. Modding requirements are very different depending on what game you're looking at. Some games are much easier to mod than others, and some are pretty much impossible for the casual/newbie modder. Pretty sure FF7 is not designed to be moddable, and mods I've seen for it actually alter game files - a "do at your own risk" sort of thing.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 4:01:05 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
"Make a mod" is an awfully non-specific thing. What are you wanting to mod? Gameplay? Models/textures? Maps? Game modes?

You have to know what you want to mod before you just say "I want to mod." You're not going to use Photoshop much if you just want to edit text or max health or something.

EDIT: As he mentioned above too, you need to pick a game. Modding requirements are very different depending on what game you're looking at. Some games are much easier to mod than others, and some are pretty much impossible for the casual/newbie modder. Pretty sure FF7 is not designed to be moddable, and mods I've seen for it actually alter game files - a "do at your own risk" sort of thing.

Okay I was thinking about modding theif first and I wanted to mod models, textures, gameplay to an extent, map, and items. Like say maybe throw in a weapon from a different game for example.
---
#5TES_NutPosted 2/25/2014 4:06:50 PM
Well a great place to get your feet wet is Modding skyrim. It's designed to be added on to and Bethesda gives away the actual tool kit they used to make it for free. The Elder scrolls construction set can't create anything new, but you can modify existing content in a visual work environment. The have a series of YouTubes that will guide you through building a dungeon and filling it with loot and baddies.
---
#6TES_NutPosted 2/25/2014 4:11:29 PM
Or you could get rpg maker xv ace off steam and learn the Ruby scripting language. Doing this you'll probably end up learning photoshop painting to create your own art rescouces.
---
#7ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 4:14:20 PM
TES_Nut posted...
Well a great place to get your feet wet is Modding skyrim. It's designed to be added on to and Bethesda gives away the actual tool kit they used to make it for free. The Elder scrolls construction set can't create anything new, but you can modify existing content in a visual work environment. The have a series of YouTubes that will guide you through building a dungeon and filling it with loot and baddies.

Ahhh okay cool thanks man.
---
#8ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 4:15:11 PM
TES_Nut posted...
Or you could get rpg maker xv ace off steam and learn the Ruby scripting language. Doing this you'll probably end up learning photoshop painting to create your own art rescouces.

Thanks dude :D
---
#9KillerTrufflePosted 2/25/2014 4:18:53 PM
With VX Ace, you can pretty much create your own Final Fantasy-style RPG.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 4:23:38 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
With VX Ace, you can pretty much create your own Final Fantasy-style RPG.

Holy crap really? I need that
---