This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

quick question...vpn...ssh...proxy....

#1KillerzOverHerePosted 2/25/2014 6:27:01 PM
Series of questions...

which is better vpn or proxy, and can i make my own? I was recently given a raspberry pi...

what is ssh? difference between vpn/proxy? can I browse via ssh?

Can this be done via windows phone (which is what I have)?
---
Me: I don't know how to describe myself, so here's Jeff to do it for me.
Jeff: I'm a slave in his basement. Contact the police. Will be killed. Find my body.
#2ChetyrePosted 2/25/2014 6:59:57 PM
Though you can accomplish some of the same things with all three, they all serve totally different purposes. Just read the wikipedia article for each for some idea of what you are getting into.

Basically,

Proxy: instead of connecting directly to the internet, you send your traffic to a second computer, and that second computer makes the connection for you.
VPN: simulates a point-to-point connection between two networks, commonly with strong encryption by default.
SSH: Remote administration (remote shell. You can think of a shell as kind of a windows cmd prompt).
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3wizardmonPosted 2/25/2014 7:17:04 PM
Most phones don't allow you to use proxies or VPNs over 3G/4G. No idea about Windows phones though. I know for sure that Sprint will not allow me to do that on my Galaxy S3.

VPN services work fine over Wifi though.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 7:17:56 PM
thanks figured it out my own :)

no networking major, but I understand :)
---
Jeff: I'm a slave in his basement. Contact the police. Will be killed. Find my body.
#5Incendia_IntusPosted 2/25/2014 7:18:10 PM
I loved my VPN through PIA.
---
All childish acts of aggression, shall be handled with laughter.
#6Davel23Posted 2/25/2014 7:19:08 PM
I have a Sprint EVO 4G LTE and I use a VPN over 3G/4G all the time.
---
Your mom's box.
#7KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 7:19:50 PM
wizardmon posted...
Most phones don't allow you to use proxies or VPNs over 3G/4G. No idea about Windows phones though. I know for sure that Sprint will not allow me to do that on my Galaxy S3.

well I should have specified in the OP it was mainly for browsing while I'm away from home, which if I had a a data plan I would do anyway. (I don't pay for data, just unlimited talk and text)
---
#8Davel23Posted 2/25/2014 7:22:01 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...
wizardmon posted...

well I should have specified in the OP it was mainly for browsing while I'm away from home, which if I had a a data plan I would do anyway. (I don't pay for data, just unlimited talk and text)

You'd need a data plan to use a VPN.
---
Your mom's box.
#9KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 7:27:12 PM
Davel23 posted...
KillerzOverHere posted...
wizardmon posted...

You'd need a data plan to use a VPN.

I thought VPN would work fine over Wifi? This is mainly just for semi-secure browsing + no browsing restrictions while i'm in other countries. For example in say India, my family's ISP blocks some sites. This is to ensure I'll still be able to view them
---
#10Davel23Posted 2/25/2014 7:30:42 PM
Yes, it'll work over WIFI. It sounded like you were hoping to use a VPN to get around the lack of a data plan.
---
Your mom's box.