This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xcom Enemy Within worth getting for $14.99+Spec Ops The Line for free?

#1BigB0ss13Posted 2/26/2014 3:04:14 AM(edited)
I played Xcom Enemy Unknown but I didn't finish cause I started like 15 games and I didn't know wtf and when the f*** to upgrade things which lead me to die due to being weak or just get stressed the hell out on when and what to upgrade. The thing where you need to excavate things to build made it worse because that area is placed randomly each game so it made me spend money on useless excavating to know where the thingys are before I can build to optimize that area.

I had a lot of fun before I ran into those problems. Does Enemy Within add anything to make the single player more fun? If I got tips on when to upgrade things, how I should build stuff in the place where I need to excavate and when and where I should get satellites as well as other purchases then I'd be willing to give Enemy unknown and enemy within another chance.

Here's the link to the sale btw

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/promotion/643
#2Majoras_pantsPosted 2/26/2014 3:50:26 AM
Both games are worth more than 15.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#3Hanlo_is_backPosted 2/26/2014 5:38:25 AM
Don't know about Xcom, but Spec Ops is worth $15 by itself, so consider the other game a bonus if you like
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#4SpazH3dPosted 2/26/2014 6:07:57 AM
That is really good value for your money.

Oh and save this to your HDD right now. http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121026045429/xcom/images/7/72/Xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart.png
---
- My vision is augmented
#5crawdadPosted 2/26/2014 6:16:56 AM
I want to Play Spec Ops the Line. I heard the story is very well done.
---
Expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#6NotQuiteAFreakPosted 2/26/2014 7:08:13 AM
You can save an extra 20% by using these promo codes:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/68662083

XCOM:EU and Spec Ops are fine games. Definitely worth $15
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#7Davel23Posted 2/26/2014 7:36:20 AM
Both XCOM: EU and EW are good games, but the expansion won't resolve any issues you had with the original. If anything, EW adds even more options for research and upgrades, if you were overwhelmed by the original EW will be even worse.
---
Your mom's box.
#8Silent Sniper IVPosted 2/26/2014 8:34:16 AM(edited)
EW is probably one of my 5 games of the generation. That said, it'll make your issues potentially even worse, because it gives you even more stuff to play with.

https://files.myopera.com/Vorlath/files/Xcom-enemy-unknown-2012-tech-tree-research-chart-ew.png

Use it extensively, don't research stuff you won't use.

I've finished it on impossible and classic/ironman, heres my basic strategy beliefs, but others can work:

-beeline workshops, which allow you to beeline satelite uplinks. full satellite coverage on a nation means no more UFO abductions, easier panic management, and a lot more money every month

-Research priority: Laser rifles and carapace armor. I think these are absolute gamechangers and you must get these asap.

-After that it really depends on what you want to do, what your strategy is, and what you're pushing for. Pushing plasma, mechs, genetics or shivs are all solid strategy while working the main story

-Have firestorms before activating the relay

-activate the alien base invasion either when you have lasers/carapace armor, but the aliens have cyberdiscs and lower, or when you have plasma.

-Play the ground game very defensively. fallback, use overwatch traps, bait aliens

-Dr. Valen is a liar. Use explosives liberally.

My base setup on the last game I played was something like a 6x grid of workshops on the left, a 4x grid of satellite uplinks on the right, power wherever needed or there was steam, stuff like officer training school, gollop chamber by the uplinks, foundry and genetics lab to the left. I don't build labs.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#9BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 11:07:45 PM(edited)
Thanks dudes. Any more tips/opinions?
#10BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 11:12:09 PM
Wtf, I just noticed they took out enemy within but it still shows the picture with the ad...Buy one of those games listed and get Spec Ops for free...Wtf is up with that? They list enemy unknown but not within