This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is this a decent budget build?

#1Mad_Mike86Posted 2/26/2014 8:15:42 AM(edited)
playing mostly RTS. would like to max games like total war. Maybe would do bf4 if this could handle.
thoughts?
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/madmike86/saved/3SPB

---
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
GT - Mad Mike86
#2phantasyPosted 2/26/2014 8:22:35 AM
skip that ssd and just get a regular drive. Or get a different brand, not sure if kingston fix it yet but v300 series has some kind of problem which causes it to be slow (not its advertised speed).
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#3PhilOnDezPosted 2/26/2014 8:36:05 AM(edited)
The only two strategy games I'm familiar with the requirements for wouldn't run terribly well on that system. SC2 would be an absolute mess in large battles, even Ivy Bridge/Ivy Bridge E i7s struggle with it, they get drops into the 20s multiplayer. SC2 loves Haswell though, I'd assume a Haswell i3 would do about as well as an IB i7 since ~70% of the work will be done in the first thread and Haswell is close to 30% faster per clock in SC2.

The other is Civ V (tbs, not rts, but very similar system requirements) in which late-game turns can take up to 5 minutes on an IB i7 but again does the bulk of the work on the first two threads despite being capable of using 8+.

It will handle BF4 nicely though while the i3 will struggle. BF4 is the exception though and not the rule.

Personally, I would drop the SSD and pick up an i5 4570 to get the best of both worlds as far as balance between strong multi threaded and string single threaded performance go based on the types of games you're interested in.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4Mad_Mike86(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 2:36:32 PM
Could I OC and get it close to an i5?
---
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
GT - Mad Mike86
#5PsythikPosted 2/27/2014 3:25:25 PM(edited)
phantasy posted...
skip that ssd and just get a regular drive. Or get a different brand, not sure if kingston fix it yet but v300 series has some kind of problem which causes it to be slow (not its advertised speed).
It may be half as fast as advertised but it's still twice as fast as a 7200RPM drive. I have one and for the price I paid it's a total steal. My PC goes from completely off to the desktop in under 20 sec and Firefox opens almost instantly, so that's good enough for me.

Mad_Mike86 posted...

No. Even a FX-9590 struggles to compete with a high-end i5. Hell, even after OCing you'd barely keep up with an i3.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#6g7g7g7g7Posted 2/27/2014 3:24:00 PM
Mad_Mike86 posted...

Not a chance, an i3,i5,i7 has far more power per core, to overclock the FX series is just throwing more power and heat at the problem.

If you want an RTS/Strategy build I would recommend intel, that isn't saying the FX6300 is terrible or bad value, its just not great at RTS games.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo