This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

D3 with Built in wifi Modem recommendations?

#1crawdadPosted 2/26/2014 7:17:03 AM
I have a Motorola SBG 6580 and it served me well until I had a power outage/surge and since then the wifi radio I think might have shorted and since, it's range has kinda crapped out on me.

Since i'll be buying a new modem, I wanted to know before I drop $100 plus on one, if any one had any ol' faithfuls for D3 modems. Built in WiFi is preferred.

If you guys thing the SBG6580 is just fine I'll get another one of them,

Thanks.
---
Expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#2Killah PriestPosted 2/26/2014 7:26:17 AM
most people will recommend avoiding gateways and getting a separate router and modem.

My experience with those motorola gateways have been hit or miss, one will be great and another will be a headache.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 7:35:13 AM(edited)
Killah Priest posted...
most people will recommend avoiding gateways and getting a separate router and modem.

My experience with those motorola gateways have been hit or miss, one will be great and another will be a headache.

EDIT NVM i just looked it up lol. ok makes sense.

I guess I'll have to figure out ho much I want to screw with my network, since the most I did before was using passthrough.
---
#4Killah PriestPosted 2/26/2014 7:59:10 AM
you really shouldn't have to screw with anything at all.

did you buy that gateway or was it supplied by your ISP? you could ask them to just give you a modem and buy your own router, they should do all the work for you but its mostly plugging it in and having them assign the new modem to your account.
---
#5crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 11:23:35 AM
Killah Priest posted...
you really shouldn't have to screw with anything at all.

did you buy that gateway or was it supplied by your ISP? you could ask them to just give you a modem and buy your own router, they should do all the work for you but its mostly plugging it in and having them assign the new modem to your account.

The problem is I work for My ISP, and our D3 modems SUCK badly. So unfortunately I know better than to use one of ours. They only use modems with Built in Wifi, and even then if I bridge the modem to use my own router, they're such crap quality it'd negate the ownership of a decent router. So rather than buying my own D3 modem and then a router that's got decent enough wireless support, i figured i'd just go for a reasonable D3 modem myself.

but if there;s a modem router combo that's better suited for the job that i can out right purchase for myself, then I'd do it.

I'm up for suggestions.
---
#6Killah PriestPosted 2/26/2014 11:58:21 AM
damn, Time Warner Cable gives out SB6121s in my area.
---
#7New LinkPosted 2/26/2014 12:07:56 PM
Don't get a "built in all in one solution."

They are crap, end of story.

Get a dumb modem and a seperate router, or repurpose an old PC to work as your router. A 200mhz x86 processor with a few dedicated NICs should be enough to run whatever you'll need. Slightly beefier specs if you want to include a cable modem in a PCI slot of the computer, which willtake the place of the dumb modem.

If you do opt to get a cheap consumer-grade "home router", get one that is actively supported by open source firmware. Check the compatibility listings for ddwrt, tomato, and openwrt when purchasing a router.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#8crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 4:32:18 AM
Killah Priest posted...
damn, Time Warner Cable gives out SB6121s in my area.

Damn, where the hell are you? They used to give us the 6580s but now it's all this Ubee and Arris crap. They blow. they have to keep being replaced or the wireless sucks.

New Link posted...
Don't get a "built in all in one solution."

They are crap, end of story.

Get a dumb modem and a seperate router, or repurpose an old PC to work as your router. A 200mhz x86 processor with a few dedicated NICs should be enough to run whatever you'll need. Slightly beefier specs if you want to include a cable modem in a PCI slot of the computer, which willtake the place of the dumb modem.

If you do opt to get a cheap consumer-grade "home router", get one that is actively supported by open source firmware. Check the compatibility listings for ddwrt, tomato, and openwrt when purchasing a router.

I find this intriguing. I'd prolly go for a dumb modem and custom firmware router solution if it works. Either that or buy someone's old crappy PC since I don;t have one yet.

recommendations on routers? My main concern is strength of signal that can support the speeds of D3 service. And i would Pick Better over Easier for the most part if there's a big enough difference. but my main concern is that the wifi is strong and reliable (competing/conflicting signals notwithstanding of course).
---
#9Killah PriestPosted 2/27/2014 6:54:30 AM
Arris and Moto are pretty much one in the same when it comes to modems and gateways.

Arris acquired motorolas broadband I believe like last year or so.
---
#10crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 7:12:50 AM(edited)
Killah Priest posted...
Arris and Moto are pretty much one in the same when it comes to modems and gateways.

Arris acquired motorolas broadband I believe like last year or so.

Buuuuuh.....
That makes sense though. It looks like they've acquired it all right up to Routing and CMTSs.

Ugh ok. So what's a good router that can give me what I need lol.
I don;t think you can bridge a 6580 which i would have no problems doing because the modem itself is fine, just the wifi sucks.

EDIT

NVM lol

https://gist.github.com/tkersey/1130675

ok so what's a good router that can support D3 and N transfer speeds?
---