This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I beat Amnesia and Outlast... what other horror games are there to play?

#1Grunt40Posted 2/26/2014 9:21:44 AM
I know of Penumbra, which I'll tackle sooner or later, but after the repetitive puzzles of Outlast I'm not sure if I'm ready for another horror game full of puzzles. I love getting the crap scared out of me, and I love all sorts of games, so what would be best to play next :D?
---
Worst Shaco NA.
#2steveboblarryPosted 2/26/2014 9:22:52 AM
Slender the Arrival, crazy ass game
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#3BatmanVonDoomPosted 2/26/2014 9:38:54 AM
Call of Cthulu dark Corners of the Earth is what you seek.

Shame it's glitchy as all hell ;-;
---
http://i.imgur.com/GC6An.jpg
#4pothocketPosted 2/26/2014 9:41:59 AM
BatmanVonDoom posted...
Call of Cthulu dark Corners of the Earth is what you seek.

Shame it's glitchy as all hell ;-;

This is a game I'm very interested in but the only reason I haven't picked it up yet is exactly because of hearing about glitches.

How bad are these glitches, what are the most common ones, and can any work-arounds be done?
#5kill2thisPosted 2/26/2014 9:42:59 AM
Ride to Hell Retribution, it's scary bad
#6PhilOnDezPosted 2/26/2014 9:48:51 AM
I found The Arrival to be more obnoxious than scary. I'll try not to spoil anything but I'll put it in tags anyway.

Slenderman (The Operator? The Marble Hornets guys helped with the game, I didn't play it long enough to see if they were related but it didn't seem like it) shows up wayyy to often and 'kills' you wayyy too slowly. Unless it changes up later on you take damage by looking at him and he doesn't move. This is a great mechanic but you can look at him up close for a good 10-15 seconds before dying. It should be 10-15 seconds at range and 3 if not 1-2 seconds up close. This should be balanced by having him spawn randomly within a certain proximity of you (but never in line of sight, had this happen to me way too many times) much less often than he does and disappear immediately when you look away, or at least after running far enough away. As it is, if he spawns where you need to go then you have to wait until he moves again. That's not scary or tense, it's just obnoxious. Hell, he -should- be waiting behind doors for you, ready with a 1 second kill if you just stand there and look at him or a few seconds if you don't run away fast enough.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7DiviDudePosted 2/26/2014 10:06:33 AM
pothocket posted...
This is a game I'm very interested in but the only reason I haven't picked it up yet is exactly because of hearing about glitches.

How bad are these glitches, what are the most common ones, and can any work-arounds be done?

I only recall two glitches in the game, one of which requires a third party fix. A certain part of the game doesn't render graphics properly so there's pretty much no way to advance other than sheer (and unlikely) luck. The fix just tells the game to skip that (very minor) part.

http://dcotetools.sucklead.com/p/dcotepatch.html

The other glitch is being unable to jump on some moving elevator like thing and having to wait for another one to come around to try that one. Apparently some of them have invisible walls or something that prevents access. That just requires a little waiting.

Otherwise it's a solid game for the most part.
#8samuraigaidenPosted 2/26/2014 10:15:10 AM
Lone Survivor is pretty cool, but it's not in first-person.
#9Ch3wyPosted 2/26/2014 10:17:04 AM
There's a pretty spooky section in Octodad, and it also has a workshop map that is a survival horror game.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#10Bazooka_PenguinPosted 2/26/2014 10:34:35 AM
Cry of Fear
Afraid of Monsters
They Hunger
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif