This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are laptops still useless for gaming ? Can anyone recommend one if not ?

#21kelemvorPosted 2/26/2014 6:38:55 PM
eragonman9 posted...
Please don't feed the TimePharaoh.
Thanks.

I dunno, maybe if he flies off the handle he'll get banned again. Worth a shot.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#22rpgianPosted 2/26/2014 6:40:54 PM
Can work great. Top of the price chain though so shop smart and shop around. Its the whole media package for me so if you use your computer for more than gaming then yes that portability pays off on those other features. Tower is where where the tower is. If your stationary then enjoy a stationary machine for a fraction of the cost. If not pay for your preference. That simple. Nothing sucks, no superiority/ inferiority complexes. Different tools for diverse jobs for diverse needs of the customer.
#23DesulatedPosted 2/26/2014 7:00:25 PM
Since I was considering getting a new laptop soon, I was thinking; will an average-priced laptop in the 500-700 dollar zone work if I want to play relatively old games (like UT3)? Not exactly a big PC gamer myself but I do play some old games from time to time.
---
3DS FC: 4785 5422 7178
https://www.fanfiction.net/~soldierofthefuture
#24eragonman9Posted 2/26/2014 7:03:53 PM
Desulated posted...
Since I was considering getting a new laptop soon, I was thinking; will an average-priced laptop in the 500-700 dollar zone work if I want to play relatively old games (like UT3)? Not exactly a big PC gamer myself but I do play some old games from time to time.

You can get by with a $400 laptop for old games.
---
stay in school
#25PsythikPosted 2/26/2014 7:05:03 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
Psythik posted...
I can't recommend a laptop for gaming unless money isn't an issue for you.
They cost way too much for way too little power, and you can't update the graphics card, so after a couple of years you need to buy a brand new laptop if you want to keep playing the newest games at high graphics settings.

So you're saying that there are no laptops that allow you to upgrade the GPU? Well, if so, you're wrong.
Last time I saw one it was 2004 (DELL XPS Gen 1), and it cost way too much money.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#26-5xad0w-Posted 2/26/2014 7:05:07 PM
Desulated posted...

You can play modern games on ~$500 laptops, it will just be on low and anything demanding will still likely not be smooth.

Gaming on a laptop isn't the fevered dream of a madman some people like to make it out to be, it's just far from ideal when desktops are taken into account.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#27DesulatedPosted 2/26/2014 7:09:02 PM
-5xad0w- posted...
Desulated posted...

You can play modern games on ~$500 laptops, it will just be on low and anything demanding will still likely not be smooth.

Gaming on a laptop isn't the fevered dream of a madman some people like to make it out to be, it's just far from ideal when desktops are taken into account.

Well I'm not exactly a big PC gamer that buys the newest games on day one of release and I don't really have more space in my house for another desktop (my parents use the old one) so I haven't really stressed on the importance of getting a desktop.
---
3DS FC: 4785 5422 7178
https://www.fanfiction.net/~soldierofthefuture
#28PharohofLaptopsPosted 2/27/2014 6:35:56 PM
BigAl519 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Lvthn posted...
The current gaming laptops are actually respectably powerful, but cost as much as an extremely powerful desktop.

-Implying gaming laptop is a thing

Your comment is ironic to me because I guarantee you my laptop is more powerful for gaming than your desktop, chump.

In your imaginary made up world, maybe.