This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Castlevania LOTS 2 is awesome

#31Zohar_MetatronPosted 2/27/2014 11:57:45 AM
r0ge00 posted...
Zohar_Metatron posted...
I have not heard the best of things about this one, honestly, but I'll probably pick it up on a sale price. No matter how bad it is it's gotta be better then anything Igarashi put out when he was running things, at the least.

From the looks of it, he was involved with SOTN, the GBA, and the DS games (among others). So you should probably clarify the statement above.

He assisted in SotN, but he wasn't in charge until after Curse of the Moon came out. Then all the portable games were just increasingly poor versions of SotN and the console games were horrific DMC knockoffs where you walked through maybe a total of five different room textures while hitting a total of maybe six different recolored enemies.

I'll give him Lament of Innocence, which was short enough not to overstay its welcome despite its severely limited content, and which had great music and mostly-standalone mythos that worked. But on the other hand, there's no way LoS2 can be worse then Order of Ecclesia or Curse of Darkness.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#32r0ge00Posted 2/27/2014 12:06:29 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
He assisted in SotN, but he wasn't in charge until after Curse of the Moon came out. Then all the portable games were just increasingly poor versions of SotN and the console games were horrific DMC knockoffs where you walked through maybe a total of five different room textures while hitting a total of maybe six different recolored enemies.

I'll give him Lament of Innocence, which was short enough not to overstay its welcome despite its severely limited content, and which had great music and mostly-standalone mythos that worked. But on the other hand, there's no way LoS2 can be worse then Order of Ecclesia or Curse of Darkness.

I liked the difference in the portable games, it made each one a new experience. Some of them worked better than others, but none of them were outright bad in my opinion.

I never played the PS2 games, so I can't comment on them. I will say that calling them DMC knockoffs isn't really accurate, due to Castlevania 64 existing.
#33DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/27/2014 12:17:10 PM
Fazeo13 posted...
LOS has such good graphics, decent gameplay, nice setting I wanted to like the game but everytime I tried it would kick me in the balls.

Horrible QTES, they force you to replay stages, it isn't always clear what to do, terrible bosses, ice giant

I think I wait for it cheap on a sale, I'm not going through all that again anytime soon. The stealth looks horrendous. Why can't they make the game more straightforward, it is an action game afterall.

They "fixed" that, going off of the demo, by highlighting things you're supposed to interact with, and pausing the game every few seconds to point them out to you with a shaky, dramatic camera, taking up a good 15 or so seconds to make sure that you can see it, and then showing you again, 20 seconds later, if you haven't completely finished whatever half-assed joke of a "puzzle" it is by then.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#34DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/27/2014 12:18:49 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...

Except the GBA and DS castlevania games were the high point of the series.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#35notSFFPosted 2/27/2014 12:40:02 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
r0ge00 posted...
Zohar_Metatron posted...
I have not heard the best of things about this one, honestly, but I'll probably pick it up on a sale price. No matter how bad it is it's gotta be better then anything Igarashi put out when he was running things, at the least.

From the looks of it, he was involved with SOTN, the GBA, and the DS games (among others). So you should probably clarify the statement above.

Care to explain why you hated Ecclesia? I personally consider it the best of the DS games.
---
SteamID: tsff20
Xbox Gamer Tag: TSFF19
#36dekouPosted 2/27/2014 1:10:37 PM
AnatomyHorror posted...
dekou posted...

LOS1 was extremely linear, too. Did they fix that?

That was a negative towards LoS1? For me that was one of the main appeals. Since it was linear it offered so many more environments and allowed so many different opportunities to arise.

But yes, they 'fixed' it in LoS2. It's now basically open world which also limited the environment variety. I guess that's what you wanted? Less cool environments to be running around in? The linearity in LoS1 offered a great experience.

Linearity and good environmental design aren't mutually exclusive. Dark Souls, The Witcher 1&2, Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider and Dishonored all offer varied, detailed environments despite being relatively non-linear. They're not sandbox games, but there's a vast array of options between Skyrim and a bunch of corridors.

protools1983 posted...
dekou posted...
I watched some gameplay videos of LoS2 and it still looks as mindless as LoS1. Monsters don't respond to your attacks and combat looks very...fake, somehow. Too bad they're not looking for inspiration in better games, like DMC3&4. Even Darksiders has better combat and I'm not a huge fan of Darksiders.

LOS1 was extremely linear, too. Did they fix that?

Combat looks "fake"? lol, grasping for complaints. This game's production values beat out DMC.

Production values don't matter that much. What matters is that combat in LoS1 was very boring compared to the other slashers I've played.