This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to decide between PS4 and PC - PC build included

#41SlaynPosted 3/4/2014 12:15:02 AM
Have you.... read my sig?
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#42NotoriousJEEBUS(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 11:32:27 PM
Slayn posted...

Yeah...it's irrelevant to the conversation. Recommend a case if you want to contribute.
#43SlaynPosted 3/9/2014 11:42:23 PM
NotoriousJEEBUS posted...
Slayn posted...

Yeah...it's irrelevant to the conversation. Recommend a case if you want to contribute.

It was relevant to the original post, I can't bother reading 40 or so posts after that. Should have been enough for you.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#44DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/10/2014 12:15:26 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Since everyone seems to hate the case, can anyone suggest a case worth buying that isn't a desktop tower (preferably HTPC, but I'm willing to look at anything) and would fit in a reasonably large entertainment center?

I have enough space where I could fit a desktop horizontally and still have room for airflow, just to give a rough idea on how much space I'm working with.

You could look into an ATX compliant box-case, but HTPC cases are not suited for gaming. It's a lot more awkward to fit everything into a small case like that, and it really screws you for cooling.
If you're dead set on it, you might want to ask on a more niche-focused PC community rather than here. You'll get good general advice here most of the time, but it's largely for more mainstream builds.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#45JonWood007Posted 3/10/2014 9:27:07 AM
Definitely the PC.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#46NotoriousJEEBUS(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 11:04:53 PM
I'm going to go with the PC for now and then the PS4 a year or two down the road if they get a lot of exclusives worth playing.

If anyone has any recommendations on what PC case to order, please let me know. Preferably something that would fit in with a living room entertainment center setup.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute build advice and constructive criticism. For the knuckleheads, trolls and snobs: I fart on your grave.
#47TheOtherGuyXPosted 3/12/2014 2:35:17 AM(edited)
1. Avoid Seagate HDD's. There may be some who will tell you otherwise that haven't had problems, but there are a hundred more who will tell you how their drive crapped out the first week or a year later right after the warranty ended. SG don't know the meaning of quality control. Get a Samsung SSD as a primary/Windows drive and a 1tb or more WD Caviar Blue or Black for storage.

2. Change that MSI motherboard for a Gigabyte or Asus z87. MSI use crap like that gimmicky Killer NIC which I've read causes nothing but headaches. MSI have been on a decline lately with their boards.

3. Exchange that Kingston ram for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG96KO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's slightly cheaper and even has better timings. 8-8-8 latency vs the standard 9-9-9 that Kingston uses Not a big difference but a difference nonetheless. Same ram I went with and it works great.

4. Don't skimp on the power supply of all things, you went cheap there. Look into a quality Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. Plenty out there, all of which are better than a Thermaltake but will cost more.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#48NemerlightPosted 3/12/2014 2:47:37 AM
If you already have a decent PC then get PS4
If you dont have PC then buy it now and wait for more games on PS4
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#49Darth_ElusivePosted 3/12/2014 6:33:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been debating between getting a PS4 (once it gets some decent games) or a gaming PC that will provide a gaming experience equal or better to the next gen consoles.

So far I've came up with the following build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30TmW

What's everyone's opinion?

Depends on the type of games you like. If you want Sony's own exclusive games like Uncharted and God of War, the answer is obviously PS4

I like fighting games such as Tekken, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive. If those are coming to PC, I might abandon the plan to get a PS4.

Also regarding the PC you want to build, I would pay $100 more and get the latest i-7 in the $300ish price range. The power supply you pick would be good but if you want to do SLI, you might want to get something with more power.
---
Forget about XBOX One. This is my XBOX720: i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Yakuza 5, Bioshock Infinite
#50NotoriousJEEBUS(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 6:18:17 PM
TheOtherGuyX posted...
1. Avoid Seagate HDD's. There may be some who will tell you otherwise that haven't had problems, but there are a hundred more who will tell you how their drive crapped out the first week or a year later right after the warranty ended. SG don't know the meaning of quality control. Get a Samsung SSD as a primary/Windows drive and a 1tb or more WD Caviar Blue or Black for storage.

2. Change that MSI motherboard for a Gigabyte or Asus z87. MSI use crap like that gimmicky Killer NIC which I've read causes nothing but headaches. MSI have been on a decline lately with their boards.

3. Exchange that Kingston ram for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG96KO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's slightly cheaper and even has better timings. 8-8-8 latency vs the standard 9-9-9 that Kingston uses Not a big difference but a difference nonetheless. Same ram I went with and it works great.

4. Don't skimp on the power supply of all things, you went cheap there. Look into a quality Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. Plenty out there, all of which are better than a Thermaltake but will cost more.

Thanks, this is all very helpful. Any specific recommendations for a case?