This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to decide between PS4 and PC - PC build included

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to decide between PS4 and PC - PC build included
2 years ago#41
Have you.... read my sig?
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
2 years ago#42
Slayn posted...

Yeah...it's irrelevant to the conversation. Recommend a case if you want to contribute.
2 years ago#43
NotoriousJEEBUS posted...
Slayn posted...

Yeah...it's irrelevant to the conversation. Recommend a case if you want to contribute.

It was relevant to the original post, I can't bother reading 40 or so posts after that. Should have been enough for you.
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
2 years ago#44
Thanks for the input everyone. Since everyone seems to hate the case, can anyone suggest a case worth buying that isn't a desktop tower (preferably HTPC, but I'm willing to look at anything) and would fit in a reasonably large entertainment center?

I have enough space where I could fit a desktop horizontally and still have room for airflow, just to give a rough idea on how much space I'm working with.

You could look into an ATX compliant box-case, but HTPC cases are not suited for gaming. It's a lot more awkward to fit everything into a small case like that, and it really screws you for cooling.
If you're dead set on it, you might want to ask on a more niche-focused PC community rather than here. You'll get good general advice here most of the time, but it's largely for more mainstream builds.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
2 years ago#45
Definitely the PC.
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
2 years ago#46
I'm going to go with the PC for now and then the PS4 a year or two down the road if they get a lot of exclusives worth playing.

If anyone has any recommendations on what PC case to order, please let me know. Preferably something that would fit in with a living room entertainment center setup.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute build advice and constructive criticism. For the knuckleheads, trolls and snobs: I fart on your grave.
2 years ago#47
1. Avoid Seagate HDD's. There may be some who will tell you otherwise that haven't had problems, but there are a hundred more who will tell you how their drive crapped out the first week or a year later right after the warranty ended. SG don't know the meaning of quality control. Get a Samsung SSD as a primary/Windows drive and a 1tb or more WD Caviar Blue or Black for storage.

2. Change that MSI motherboard for a Gigabyte or Asus z87. MSI use crap like that gimmicky Killer NIC which I've read causes nothing but headaches. MSI have been on a decline lately with their boards.

3. Exchange that Kingston ram for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG96KO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's slightly cheaper and even has better timings. 8-8-8 latency vs the standard 9-9-9 that Kingston uses Not a big difference but a difference nonetheless. Same ram I went with and it works great.

4. Don't skimp on the power supply of all things, you went cheap there. Look into a quality Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. Plenty out there, all of which are better than a Thermaltake but will cost more.
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
2 years ago#48
If you already have a decent PC then get PS4
If you dont have PC then buy it now and wait for more games on PS4
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
2 years ago#49
Hi everyone,

I've been debating between getting a PS4 (once it gets some decent games) or a gaming PC that will provide a gaming experience equal or better to the next gen consoles.

So far I've came up with the following build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30TmW

What's everyone's opinion?

Depends on the type of games you like. If you want Sony's own exclusive games like Uncharted and God of War, the answer is obviously PS4

I like fighting games such as Tekken, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive. If those are coming to PC, I might abandon the plan to get a PS4.

Also regarding the PC you want to build, I would pay $100 more and get the latest i-7 in the $300ish price range. The power supply you pick would be good but if you want to do SLI, you might want to get something with more power.
Forget about XBOX One. This is my XBOX720: i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Yakuza 5, Bioshock Infinite
2 years ago#50
TheOtherGuyX posted...
1. Avoid Seagate HDD's. There may be some who will tell you otherwise that haven't had problems, but there are a hundred more who will tell you how their drive crapped out the first week or a year later right after the warranty ended. SG don't know the meaning of quality control. Get a Samsung SSD as a primary/Windows drive and a 1tb or more WD Caviar Blue or Black for storage.

2. Change that MSI motherboard for a Gigabyte or Asus z87. MSI use crap like that gimmicky Killer NIC which I've read causes nothing but headaches. MSI have been on a decline lately with their boards.

3. Exchange that Kingston ram for this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG96KO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's slightly cheaper and even has better timings. 8-8-8 latency vs the standard 9-9-9 that Kingston uses Not a big difference but a difference nonetheless. Same ram I went with and it works great.

4. Don't skimp on the power supply of all things, you went cheap there. Look into a quality Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. Plenty out there, all of which are better than a Thermaltake but will cost more.

Thanks, this is all very helpful. Any specific recommendations for a case?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to decide between PS4 and PC - PC build included

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived