This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played the original Thief games. Should I play them or The Dark Mod?

#1anonymous46773Posted 2/27/2014 4:11:37 AM
I have all the original Thief games, but never actually installed / played them. Will pick up the new Thief game probably during the next sale or something. I'm just wondering how well the original Thief games have aged, and if The Dark Mod may have improved mechanics in that regard.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#2sauruschamp1Posted 2/27/2014 6:50:58 AM
haven't played the dark mod but having only recently played the thief games for the first time the gameplay has aged pretty well. The only thing is the graphics (especially on the first 1) can seem a bit bad but I would recommend at least giving them a go.

Also for buying the new one it has had a lot of mediocre reviews and a few good ones so waiting for a sale probably is the best option (sounds like gameplay is good, story is bad and there are a few niggles ie cant jump).
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#3anonymous46773(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 7:37:50 AM
All right, sweet, thanks :)

Is there any reason to start with the first thief, or should I just skip to the second or third one?
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 2/27/2014 7:50:13 AM
anonymous46773 posted...
All right, sweet, thanks :)

Is there any reason to start with the first thief, or should I just skip to the second or third one?

The story is only vaguely connected, but the first game has the tutorials and the intro to who garret is, the second game does not.
The second game is basically the exact same engine, menu, everything, just with different levels and intro videos.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5Bellum_SacrumPosted 2/27/2014 8:35:16 AM
Just play them in order. The events of the first game are clearly mentioned and are important in retrospect when it comes to the second game, so yeah.

The third game on the other hand...well...it can stand alone, much like the reboot.

Just make sure you give the hardest mode a chance. It may limit you to a non-lethal gameplay, but new areas and objectives open up, and some of them even introduce some important elements. For instance, a guy who only makes an appearance in the hardest version of the second chapter of the first game, shows up again in the first chapter of the second, and is the main freaking quest-giver in the reboot.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#6SinisterSlayPosted 2/27/2014 8:38:25 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Just play them in order. The events of the first game are clearly mentioned and are important in retrospect when it comes to the second game, so yeah.

The third game on the other hand...well...it can stand alone, much like the reboot.

Just make sure you give the hardest mode a chance. It may limit you to a non-lethal gameplay, but new areas and objectives open up, and some of them even introduce some important elements. For instance, a guy who only makes an appearance in the hardest version of the second chapter of the first game, shows up again in the first chapter of the second, and is the main freaking quest-giver in the reboot.

Basso?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence