This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone liking Thief??

#31exclusiveburnerPosted 2/27/2014 4:18:57 PM
I hate stories in games these days, there's almost no good ones left. Just like Hitman...while I understand why they made a story and I didn't find it too bad, I'd much rather open my laptop with a list of names of people who need to be assassinated. Then go about killing them how I want.

I honestly want an open world Hitman game. It would be tough but if done correctly it would be amazing. They already have a great engine, a few modifications and creating an open living/breathing world would be sick.
#32KillerTrufflePosted 2/27/2014 4:32:53 PM
There are plenty of decent stories left. They just don't tend to worry about putting much emphasis on story these days, or they don't hire decent story writers, or they hire decent writers but do a crappy job implementing the story.

If you take a look at modern gamers tho, it's easy to see why. Even on this board alone, you'll find tons of people who care only about gameplay. "If I want a story, I'll read a book or watch a movie." Check out that "story vs. gameplay" topic that was active a few days ago here. Kids these days don't care about playing a part in an epic story... they just care about having it be as fun as possible to kill people. And if people keep saying they don't care about story, big developers/publishers are going to listen and not care as much about putting effort into telling a good story.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#33Marioface5Posted 2/27/2014 5:11:12 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
There are plenty of decent stories left. They just don't tend to worry about putting much emphasis on story these days, or they don't hire decent story writers, or they hire decent writers but do a crappy job implementing the story.

If you take a look at modern gamers tho, it's easy to see why. Even on this board alone, you'll find tons of people who care only about gameplay. "If I want a story, I'll read a book or watch a movie." Check out that "story vs. gameplay" topic that was active a few days ago here. Kids these days don't care about playing a part in an epic story... they just care about having it be as fun as possible to kill people. And if people keep saying they don't care about story, big developers/publishers are going to listen and not care as much about putting effort into telling a good story.

I don't see where you're getting this from. Games have a much larger focus on story now than ever before. Whether those stories are good or not is up for debate, but with all of the lengthy cutscenes, QTEs, motion capture, and other things AAA developers have been doing in attempt to make their games more cinematic I don't know how you could argue that this has anything to do with modern gamers or "kids these days" not wanting story. It used to be that stories were usually, with the exception of RPGs, simple filler to give some sort of context for the rest of the game. If anything I would think that "classic" gamers would be the ones who don't care for storytelling in games.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#34KillerTrufflePosted 2/27/2014 5:29:02 PM
My only basis for claiming kids don't want story any more is the sheer number of times I see COMMENTS specifically saying "I don't care about story."

"This is a good point. You play a game to PLAY a game, not watch. Go watch a movie if you want story. Of course, an interactive movie is called a video game though, so...yeah."

"If you say "story" you probably live in your mom's basement. Seriously. Good read a novel, watch a movie or show on HBO. No game even comes close to anything done in those mediums."

"If I valued story over gameplay, I would never play video games. I would only watch movies or read books."

And so on. Comments like "if you want a good story, read a book" are becoming awfully common these days.
---
#35AlleRacingPosted 2/27/2014 5:30:40 PM
KillerTruffle posted...

I see what you're getting at, but I really, really disagree. I'm noticing an opposite trend of what you just described, where story heavy games with lack of gameplay are receiving a lot of praise. Stuff like Bioshock Infinite, Gone Home, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Mass Effect, The Walking Dead... I think what you're seeing is simply the backlash toward this trend.

In my opinion, gameplay definitely comes first. However, I always appreciate a good story, and most of my favourite games are my favourites because they managed to layer a fantastic story on top of great or outstanding gameplay, rather than in place of it. Story is not a substitute for gameplay, it is a supplement to it.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#36KillerTrufflePosted 2/27/2014 5:40:17 PM
It could be backlash, and you're right, there are games out there that put lots of emphasis on story. And I agree that the best games will incorporate a good story into good gameplay. I guess my comments come more from the fact that I've seen a lot of games trying to unnecessarily shoehorn a story in where they really don't need one, and it looks pretty ridiculous.

A decade or two ago, action games didn't worry about that. They'd maybe give you a very basic framework story at the beginning, and then some sort of cutscene at the end, and that was pretty much it. Just something to provide a basic excuse for why you were fighting cacodemons and pigmen. heh

Maybe part of the issue is that I care much more about story than I used to, but companies seem to be trying to make their games more "story-like" without actually bothering to put effort into a good story. Yeah, games will come along like Last of Us or something and tell a pretty good story, but there are a lot more games that seem more to give it a half-hearted attempt, where it feels like they should have just stuck to providing a basic framework and letting you shoot things if they're not going to really polish it up.
---