This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worth getting a second 1440p monitor?

#11AcquirePosted 2/27/2014 8:47:11 PM
I think its very well worth it. It'll add tons of extra work space. One thing to take into consideration is the sheer size of them. At 27" having two of them next to each other makes for a very wide display area. Depending on how you'll set it up it can be not that great. For me I have one centered with one to the side. Because of how big these monitors are I ended up turning the one to the side vertically because I was having to significantly turn my head left to fully be able to see what was on the monitor.

The way I use them is my primary monitor has two web browsers snapped to the either side (so one on each half). There's more than enough space to view web pages since half is 1280 pixels of width. On the second monitor I have itunes on top and steam in the middle. The bottom has a weather widget and my sound card's controls for when easy switching between headphones and speakers.

My ultimate plan is to get an extra monitor (that new asus g sync one) and have the current two set sideways to either side of the primary monitor.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#12GalaxyNexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 10:11:29 PM
Acquire posted...
I think its very well worth it. It'll add tons of extra work space. One thing to take into consideration is the sheer size of them. At 27" having two of them next to each other makes for a very wide display area. Depending on how you'll set it up it can be not that great. For me I have one centered with one to the side. Because of how big these monitors are I ended up turning the one to the side vertically because I was having to significantly turn my head left to fully be able to see what was on the monitor.

The way I use them is my primary monitor has two web browsers snapped to the either side (so one on each half). There's more than enough space to view web pages since half is 1280 pixels of width. On the second monitor I have itunes on top and steam in the middle. The bottom has a weather widget and my sound card's controls for when easy switching between headphones and speakers.

My ultimate plan is to get an extra monitor (that new asus g sync one) and have the current two set sideways to either side of the primary monitor.

That's interesting. I probably wouldn't mind having to turn my head tbqh and I have a pretty big desk so I don't think I would mind. So the 1080p one is good for movies or other little multi-tasking thing and the main 1440[ good for writing papers, games, reading, and other main things?
#13Master_BassPosted 2/27/2014 10:51:22 PM
GalaxyNexus posted...
Well what's your guys' experience? Is it good to have 2 monitors? What's it like? Does it actually increase productivity/multi-tasking? Play games/watch movies on one screen, do work on another? Etc.

Yes, I wouldn't want to go back to 1 monitor even though I could get away with it since my primary one is a 30" monitor. It's so useful to have a second one when you're working.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#14Cool_Dude667Posted 2/28/2014 12:07:29 AM
I could never go back to a single monitor...
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#15triple sPosted 2/28/2014 6:20:43 AM
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/2086x1564q90/41/tckv.jpg

^That's my multimonitor set up.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#16Killah PriestPosted 2/28/2014 7:37:15 AM
lol thats almost exactly how my set up is except I have 2 PCs with 1 monitor each (and different size monitors/tvs)

WHY YOU COPY ME TRIPLES
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#17triple sPosted 2/28/2014 6:57:09 PM
Killah Priest posted...
lol thats almost exactly how my set up is except I have 2 PCs with 1 monitor each (and different size monitors/tvs)

WHY YOU COPY ME TRIPLES

I've been watching you through your Kinect on your Xbox One.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#18MasterDonGeroPosted 2/28/2014 7:07:14 PM
triple s posted...
Killah Priest posted...

WHY YOU COPY ME TRIPLES

I've been watching you through your Kinect on your Xbox One.

You've made me laugh heartily; you have my respect.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#19GalaxyNexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 10:07:51 PM
Well I bought the ASUS VE278H and it's not bad other than not being able to adjust the height which kinda irks me. I think I might return it though just because of that. I also don't know what is a good way to put the two monitors. I have my main one in the middle and the other off to the left. Having them side by side is super long and isn't really usable. Having them side by side and face inwards looks kinda awkward for me.

I was thinking of just getting two wall mounts and mounting it on right now, but idk if that would look bad with two different monitors.
#20MaxCHEATER64Posted 3/2/2014 7:55:16 PM
It's VERY good to have two monitors. Once you get a second one you'll never want to go back.

I don't really see the need to get a second 1440p one, though. I mean unless you're planning on eventually getting a third one and going Eyefinity, there's no particular reason you couldn't just get a 1080p or 1200p monitor.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM