This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My dad bought me Windows OEM 64 bit, but now Windows claims that I'm unactivated

#1KarateKittyKillPosted 2/27/2014 4:58:40 PM
What do I do? It's saying that my product key is invalid, that there was a trace problem, and now Windows is forcing me to buy Windows 7 Home Premium.

My dad just bought it, I don't think he knew that it was an OEM software key.

This is ridiculous. What do I do?
---
People don't run mods in skyrim. They install them, get to the loading screen, get bored and install more mods, repeat ad infinitum.- Orestes417
#2Killah PriestPosted 2/27/2014 5:00:05 PM
call up MS.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3TireseasPosted 2/27/2014 5:00:12 PM
You pick up the phone and call MS support.
---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.
#4EpicKingdom_Posted 2/27/2014 5:01:49 PM
Or have daddy do it.
---
You're not Master Race until the Gaben reveals himself before you. ALL of himself. https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#5ShubPosted 2/27/2014 5:03:17 PM
Does the edition of Windows which you have installed correspond to the edition for which your dad bought a license? If you have Professional or Ultimate installed but bought a license for Home Premium, that'll be a problem. It doesn't matter if it's 32- or 64-bit, though.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 5:07:11 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
Or have daddy do it.

I really don't understand why people on this board have to be such dicks. Really, shove your attitude up yours.

Shub posted...
Does the edition of Windows which you have installed correspond to the edition for which your dad bought a license? If you have Professional or Ultimate installed but bought a license for Home Premium, that'll be a problem. It doesn't matter if it's 32- or 64-bit, though.

No. It's Windows 7 Home Premium for OEM software, with the product key.

I reentered the upgrade key again, but it says it doesn't have the availability for upgrading.

Weird stuff. Calling MS now.
---
People don't run mods in skyrim. They install them, get to the loading screen, get bored and install more mods, repeat ad infinitum.- Orestes417
#7PhilOnDezPosted 2/27/2014 5:07:26 PM
Every time I've reinstalled (not a fresh install) I've had to enter my key twice to get it to register properly for whatever reason. Maybe because I wasn't connected to the Internet during setup. It always gives me the "Windows is not genuine" message in the bottom right and asks me for the key again.

Obvious solution that you may have overlooked, but did you try entering it again?
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8ShubPosted 2/27/2014 5:08:24 PM
What's that about an upgrade key now? You didn't mention that earlier.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 5:12:04 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Every time I've reinstalled (not a fresh install) I've had to enter my key twice to get it to register properly for whatever reason. Maybe because I wasn't connected to the Internet during setup. It always gives me the "Windows is not genuine" message in the bottom right and asks me for the key again.

Obvious solution that you may have overlooked, but did you try entering it again?

I had to do the same thing, actually, in entering it twice. And yes, I just entered it again.

This was the first time I entered it after getting the message. It says, "Upgrade Key not viable," or something to that effect. Then, it asks me to run legitcheck.hta. When I run legitcheck.hta off of Microsoft.com, it says I have to buy Windows 7 Home Premium for 107.00.
---
#10Killah PriestPosted 2/27/2014 5:13:31 PM
if its an upgrade key you have to install windows xp or vista first then upgrade to 7

otherwise you'll get invalid key and you'll have to install it keyless and it won't validate.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.