This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My dad bought me Windows OEM 64 bit, but now Windows claims that I'm unactivated

#11KillerTrufflePosted 2/27/2014 6:16:38 PM
Yeah, if you purchased an upgrade version of Windows, but you do not have a previous version of Windows that you're upgrading from, the upgrade key won't work. You have to have a full version of Windows first, or buy a full version of 7 rather than an upgrade key.

The word "upgrade" ought to be a tip-off...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12a_Wizards_BakerPosted 2/27/2014 6:18:50 PM
Killah Priest posted...
if its an upgrade key you have to install windows xp or vista first then upgrade to 7

otherwise you'll get invalid key and you'll have to install it keyless and it won't validate.

Another options would be to install the upgrade, and then re-install the upgrade OS on top of the already installed upgrade. It'll see a version of windows already on the HDD and consider it 'upgraded'
#13Killah PriestPosted 2/27/2014 6:21:13 PM
You sure? I swear I tried that once and it said that the version installed did not support upgrade and to launch the full installer.

Maybe I did it wrong.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#14ShubPosted 2/27/2014 6:22:57 PM
Killah Priest posted...
You sure? I swear I tried that once and it said that the version installed did not support upgrade and to launch the full installer.

Maybe I did it wrong.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512
I've never done it myself but it's supposed to work. If it's on Paul Thurrott's website, I have no doubt that it works.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15Killah PriestPosted 2/27/2014 6:24:09 PM(edited)
Thanks, I'll have to read through that and see what I did differently.

also excellent info for the issue at hand.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#16KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 6:29:55 PM
Okay, okay. I figured it out.

When I installed windows on this PC, it restarted right after the first activation process (after I created my log-in name, "DogePC"), and proceeded to ask me to use the activation key again. I didn't name the second log-in (somehow), but that was the account that was flagged as administrator.

She said that this problem happens often with Windows activation when it asks for the key-code twice, that one of the accounts will have administrative privileges. It was as easy as making "DogePC" administrator, and re-entering the key.

Hope that helps everyone else. That sucked. After dealing with a broken GPU for a whole month and battling ASUS, I thought the worst.
---
People don't run mods in skyrim. They install them, get to the loading screen, get bored and install more mods, repeat ad infinitum.- Orestes417
#17-5xad0w-Posted 2/27/2014 6:36:10 PM
Shub posted...
Killah Priest posted...

Maybe I did it wrong.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512
I've never done it myself but it's supposed to work. If it's on Paul Thurrott's website, I have no doubt that it works.

The RegEdit+slmgr /rearm method works.

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro and use that method to reinstall directly from my Win 8 upgrade disc instead of having to reinstall Win 7 first.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#18blax34dmPosted 2/27/2014 7:02:43 PM
KarateKittyKill posted...
EpicKingdom_ posted...
Or have daddy do it.

I really don't understand why people on this board have to be such dicks. Really, shove your attitude up yours.

Shub posted...
Does the edition of Windows which you have installed correspond to the edition for which your dad bought a license? If you have Professional or Ultimate installed but bought a license for Home Premium, that'll be a problem. It doesn't matter if it's 32- or 64-bit, though.

No. It's Windows 7 Home Premium for OEM software, with the product key.

I reentered the upgrade key again, but it says it doesn't have the availability for upgrading.

Weird stuff. Calling MS now.

He's mad because his mom was late bringing the spaghettios down to him in the basement.
#19KarateKittyKill(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 2:09:14 AM
blax34dm posted...
KarateKittyKill posted...
EpicKingdom_ posted...
Or have daddy do it.

I really don't understand why people on this board have to be such dicks. Really, shove your attitude up yours.

Shub posted...
Does the edition of Windows which you have installed correspond to the edition for which your dad bought a license? If you have Professional or Ultimate installed but bought a license for Home Premium, that'll be a problem. It doesn't matter if it's 32- or 64-bit, though.

No. It's Windows 7 Home Premium for OEM software, with the product key.

I reentered the upgrade key again, but it says it doesn't have the availability for upgrading.

Weird stuff. Calling MS now.

He's mad because his mom was late bringing the spaghettios down to him in the basement.

lol
---
People don't run mods in skyrim. They install them, get to the loading screen, get bored and install more mods, repeat ad infinitum.- Orestes417