This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What MMO's have the best quest design?

#11samurai1900Posted 2/27/2014 10:35:45 PM
Hipsterrr posted...
Runescape has the best quests. You're actually using items and abilities to interact with the world to solve puzzles and progress.

As an old owner of Quest Point Cape, I can attest to this.
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#12Spidey555Posted 2/28/2014 4:25:00 AM
Lord of the Rings Online is pretty decent, has somewhat of a decent story and cutscenes.
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#13sauruschamp1Posted 2/28/2014 5:29:05 AM
yer runescape did have some of the best quests for an mmo (I got the quest cape as well shortly after nomads and while guthix sleeps etc were released) not sure how it is now though as haven't played since before the rs3 update.
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#14bravo1Posted 2/28/2014 5:34:34 AM
IcyFlamez96 posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
Nobody wants to play "open world" bull crap. Besides Skyrim (only cause it has an old fan base) just about every open world game is crap.

People say they want open world, but they never buy the open world games to support the genre.

99% of players who say they want open world are like women saying they want a good man... but then only date bad boys.

wat

---
3DS FC: 3952-7065-0089
#15r7gerrabbitPosted 2/28/2014 5:37:38 AM
Runescape.
I'm being 100% serious. It has some of the best MMO quests out there. They have their own story, and they're far more interactive than retrieving 10 cow udders.
---
Sig.
#16OrgeLambartPosted 2/28/2014 5:51:02 AM
Epic Quest from LOTRO, are great, but the rest of them are go here, kill this, use this item in this area.

The Epic quest line more than makes up for it though.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#17Hi CPosted 2/28/2014 6:32:57 AM
Everquest had the best quests that took weeks sometimes to finish.
---
You'll be my John G.
#18OrgeLambartPosted 2/28/2014 6:34:35 AM
Hi C posted...
Everquest had the best quests that took weeks sometimes to finish.

that's because many of their quest and quest lines were straight up broken and left unfinished. I'm sure you can still find plenty of quest in old world zones that were put in the game and either never discovered or just flat out broken.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#19akuma634Posted 2/28/2014 7:11:30 AM
Altmadragon posted...
AlleRacing posted...
Hipsterrr posted...
Runescape has the best quests. You're actually using items and abilities to interact with the world to solve puzzles and progress.

I'm going to have to agree with this.

runescape has the best original quest, not go here kill x amount generic quests.

I never played it but that actually sounds cool. I remember playing Star Wars TOR and you have a great story, but then there's missions like gather 5 teeth of these dogs and you have dozens of players killing them all and waiting for them to respawn and it's like I killed over a dozen of them and I only found 3 teeth despite them having a mouth full of teeth. It gives that feeling that everything outside of cut scenes is filler to pad out your time playing so you'd be more inclined to kick a few bucks their way.

That's the thing, I've spent a lot of time on MMORPGs, but I can't think of anything that I've played where the quests were that interesting. It's like kill these people, find these objects, and then they just respawn minutes later and it never feels like you're accomplishing much, especially when you're treated as some great hero when there's 100's of people on the same server doing the exact same tasks for themselves in an endless cycle.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Zu6jtNK.jpg
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#20sauruschamp1Posted 3/1/2014 6:13:39 AM
yer sounds like runescape quests would be what your looking for. The only thing is alot of quests have level requirements which does take a bit of grinding (ie must be level 30 crafting and smithing before starting this quest) but this wont be as noticable for lower level quests. Also there are a couple of quests which have a bit of filler like you said but its really just a couple of low level f2p quests ie sheep sheerer quest. The majority of them have a good story and there are several with long running storylines etc and do involve puzzle solving.

I actually played runescape for the quests (hence quiting once I attained the quest cape). If you want an idea of some of the quests you could look up a couple of youtube videos (there should be lots of guide style ones to see) if you want an idea of one of the more puzzle oriented quest lines look up elemental workshop quest but your best bet is doing f2p leveling up a bit and trying a couple of the quests (bearing in mind f2p really is just a taste of what you can do with members while still being able to level the majority of skills and try a selection of quests).
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio