This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Strange buzzing coming from computer

#1Blobs_Posted 2/27/2014 11:41:56 PM(edited)
Recently, I've noticed that there has been a very slight buzzing coming from my computer here and there. It will randomly start emitting a low, buzzing noise. Thing is, if I tap on my computer case a bit it tends to stop. What could be causing this?

Specs if necessary:

CPU: i5 3570k
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with its fan replaced by a noctua fan
MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
HDD: WD caviar black 1tb
RAM: Crucial ballistix 1x8 gb
GPU: NVIDIA geforce gtx780 w/ stock cooler
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
CASE: Corsair 200R
DVD DRIVE: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
FANS: 2x Noctua 120mm fans
---
is haha
#2JKatarnPosted 2/27/2014 11:52:14 PM
Did you check your fan/misc. cables? A cable in close proximity to a fan may be brushing up against the fan on occasion. Also, if it's a high pitched whine in certain situations, that's GPU coil "whine".
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#3CatToyPosted 2/28/2014 12:16:44 AM
Could be a fan too. When they wear out they can rotate themselves out of alignment, making noise. Case fans on a previous case I had for many years would all go back to normal for a bit if I hit my case.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#4Flaktrooper123Posted 2/28/2014 12:27:42 AM
Try running the PC with the side panel open, try to find out where the noise is coming from.
#5maybecallsPosted 2/28/2014 2:00:14 AM
Mine does that sometimes. I think it's just vibration from the various fans acting on the (rather thin metal) case. I don't think it's anythng to be concerned about. This PC has been in use, unaltered, for two and a half years.
#6pk je3busPosted 2/28/2014 2:06:24 AM
Most likely its the fans or cables when I hear a buzz noise from my computer. A quick clean out usually does the job.
---
*Please sign here _____________.*
#7Blobs_(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 3:49:18 AM
Fans eh? Alright, that doesn't sound too bad. Next chance I get, I'll try and find the source of the noise myself. However, my computer has not acted strange at all, so I'm not TOO concerned.
---
is haha
#8TheSuspectedPosted 2/28/2014 3:57:23 AM
If it's the same sound I'm thinking of, your PSU is on it's way out. I ignored that buzzing for nearly 6 months before I finally did some real research and testing, and my old PSU was on its last legs.

Luckily for me, it didn't take anything with it, but because I was lazy a $90 upgrade almost became a $1000 headache.
---
PSN iD: NaRD2ndG | www.twitch.tv/nard2ndg (BBCP, Dark Souls II next)
Thank You Senpai!! First 500 topic 8/13/2013
#9maybecallsPosted 2/28/2014 4:08:03 AM
Blobs_ posted...
Fans eh? Alright, that doesn't sound too bad. Next chance I get, I'll try and find the source of the noise myself. However, my computer has not acted strange at all, so I'm not TOO concerned.

Yeah. Like you say, if you apply a bit of finger pressure to the side of the case, the noise ceases. It's nothing, really.
#10lost_withinPosted 2/28/2014 6:58:26 AM
it could be a fan... it could be a psu getting ready to explode (by explode I mean die, not actually explode, but that would be kind of crazy if they did)... it could be case vibrations... it could be your imagination... it could be electrical interference that is actually coming from you speakers... it could be a cable in your fan...

Just a few ideas to check...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison