This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the cheapest netbook you can possibly get?

#1Enix BelmontPosted 2/28/2014 5:35:15 AM
Used or new is fine. Its literally only to play ragnarok online for a friend who is very poor - this is a game from 2003, it should run on anything. I've checked craigslist but near me, the cheapest is 120 or so. I feel like there must be some place I can get a crappy old computer.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#2LordSeiferPosted 2/28/2014 5:45:06 AM
buying used will obviously be cheapest

stores dont stock 60 dollar computers since there is no money to be made
---
^ this
#3LordSeiferPosted 2/28/2014 5:45:48 AM
alternatively buy a raspberry pi
---
^ this
#4Enix Belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 5:52:05 AM
LordSeifer posted...
buying used will obviously be cheapest

stores dont stock 60 dollar computers since there is no money to be made

It's difficult to find anywhere that sells them at all. Is there a site for this sort of thing?

LordSeifer posted...
alternatively buy a raspberry pi

Ive jsut now heard of these. Is this simple to set up? I'm no computer genius myself, he's got no monitor, no money, no job, and no anythng. I can give him a keyboard and mouse I have spare, but thats about it. He lives in the projects on disability with his brother(both autistic, older brother severely so and doesnt leave the house). I think a computer and an MMO would really help both of them stay in touch with the world. The one I'm friends with is pretty functioning and has a girlfriend but gets no social interaction outside of her and me/my friends.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#5LordSeiferPosted 2/28/2014 5:56:47 AM(edited)
craigslist is the site for that sort of thing

and yes you would need a monitor and such for a raspberry pi, its probably not ideal
---
^ this
#6PhilOnDezPosted 2/28/2014 7:55:48 AM
I don't know anything about RO but I don't see it running on a Pi unless someone has ported it over to run on ARM Linux and I've only seen a handful of games that have (quake, minecraft mobile, minecraft servers, that's about it). I've been playing with Raspbian (ARM port of Debian specifically tailored to the Pi) and you have to use a workaround for basically everything, even moreso than standard Debian. Even just playing a video with sound and media controls involves opening up the command line.

Its install media is also prone to corruption because it doesn't have a way to power down and it sends a surge through the card reader when you unplug it for some reason.

All in all, not something I'd recommend to anyone as more than a toy, definitely not something I'd recommend as a primary computer since if(more of a when, truth be told) the memory card corrupts there's literally nothing you can do without another computer to fix it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7DoramiPosted 2/28/2014 8:49:42 AM(edited)
Don't restrict yourself to netbooks. They were cheap to start with, but everybody knows about them and go for them when looking for an old, cheap computer.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T61-Laptop-Guaranteed-working-Updated-and-optimized-/271381742042?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3f2f9cc1da

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-D531-Windows-XP-Laptop-2-0-GHz-2GB-60GB-DVD-14-1-/291088001600?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item43c6326a40
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina