This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Roughly how much would a good laptop that could emulate PS2 or GC cost?

#11St34lth24Posted 2/28/2014 10:22:29 AM
Dude you're going to have to spend atleast $500 for a CPU and GPU just to be able to run PS2 or GC emulators at playable speeds.
---
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
#12Grindcorp9000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 10:37:49 AM
St34lth24 posted...
Dude you're going to have to spend atleast $500 for a CPU and GPU just to be able to run PS2 or GC emulators at playable speeds.

Hmm. What is a good laptop to handle this? Is 1,200 way to low? I don't want to spend more then that, so if it isn't possible then, oh well.
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/28/2014 10:45:11 AM(edited)
Grindcorp9000 posted...
St34lth24 posted...

Hmm. What is a good laptop to handle this? Is 1,200 way to low? I don't want to spend more then that, so if it isn't possible then, oh well.

Get something with a Core i5 or i7 and you should be fine. The higher clocked, the better. GPU doesn't matter much for emulation, contrary to popular(uneducated) belief.
However, you may want to also get some high clocked memory. IIRC, Cube emulation is inaccurate when using video memory, and becomes bandwidth starved with system memory.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#14QuestofChosenPosted 2/28/2014 10:46:46 AM
Grindcorp9000 posted...
St34lth24 posted...

You have $1,200 to spend? Why not get a $500 laptop for school and use the rest to build a desktop?
---
Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Driver: San Fransisco, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition
#15Grindcorp9000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 10:48:20 AM
Thanks for all the responses. If I got an i7 would running a ps2 emulator effect it in anyway? I have heard the term overclock but I DO NOT want to push my laptop past what it is capable of and end up ruining it. I want it for the long haul. I don't need the best but I thought being able to run PS2 would be nice.

Would this drain the battery like no other?
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/28/2014 10:53:44 AM(edited)
Grindcorp9000 posted...
Thanks for all the responses. If I got an i7 would running a ps2 emulator effect it in anyway? I have heard the term overclock but I DO NOT want to push my laptop past what it is capable of and end up ruining it. I want it for the long haul. I don't need the best but I thought being able to run PS2 would be nice.

Would this drain the battery like no other?

emulation will definitely drain your battery pretty hard, since it really eats up CPU power.

Also, clockspeed is more important than number of cores. Make sure you get a Sandy, Ivy, or Haswell laptop with a high clockspeed.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#17Logical_OnePosted 2/28/2014 10:58:45 AM
daemon_dan posted...
Grindcorp9000 posted...
-CJF- posted...
A Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz isn't going to emulate PS2 and GC very well. Emulation mostly relies on the CPU to translate instructions. I mean, it would work, but some games would be very slow.

What would you recommend. I am looking for a laptop to last me for the long run for school but can comfortably run Ps2 and GC. I am not looking for a high end gamimg pc that can play titanfall at max speca or whatver,
just a nice solid laptop.

>.> Titanfall is a source game. you could max it out on something far less powerful than something needed to run PS2 games and GC games at decent framerates

QFT.

Also, I don't think there is a CPU equivalent to the 4770 or 3770 for laptops. AFAIK the best laptop CPU ATM is 4900MQ which is worth roughly $569.

Here:

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

Just untick desktop and click laptop. They'll be in order if I'm not mistaken.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun
#18GTRagnarokPosted 2/28/2014 12:52:16 PM
It's not a simple matter of being able to run PS2/GC games or not. It depends on the game. Some games are really easy to run and others really hard. Final Fantasy X, for example, is one of the easier games to run and my 13" MBP can run it at 60fps/1080p no problem. Other games like God of War...not so much. I have to turn down the resolution for those.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. So words. Wow.
#19DesulatedPosted 2/28/2014 1:07:10 PM
I'm a newb at this kind of stuff, so emulation of older games can actually be more resource consuming than some PC games?
---
3DS FC: 4785 5422 7178
https://www.fanfiction.net/~soldierofthefuture
#20ClouddxPosted 2/28/2014 1:10:20 PM
Desulated posted...
I'm a newb at this kind of stuff, so emulation of older games can actually be more resource consuming than some PC games?

Yes, because you're emulating the whole console. This means your CPU has to emulate the PS2/GC CPU and also emulate the GPU. This puts tremendous strain on the CPU and causes SOME games to be extremely taxing on your system.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S