This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remove Pando Media Booster from your system now.

#11PsythikPosted 2/28/2014 11:53:28 AM(edited)
Remove it? Why would I install it in the first place? The name alone sounds like malware.

You guys really need to stop mindlessly clicking through installers.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#12Killah PriestPosted 2/28/2014 11:53:05 AM
Any software could be bundled with another piece of software, that doesn't automatically make it a virus.

Its not "technically" a virus but POTENTIALLY UNWANTED PROGRAM (PUP) is malware/virus type activity so thats why you'll hear people calling any and all unwanted programs malware of viri.

The whole PUP thing is just a term made up because marketing companies were upset that they were being associated with true malware viruses which are unwanted in every instance vs a program that might be useful and isn't dangerous just unwanted.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#13Bossdog421Posted 2/28/2014 12:13:17 PM
Psythik posted...
Remove it? Why would I install it in the first place? The name alone sounds like malware.

There is no option to not install it, and i don't believe it even tells you that you are installing it.

If you have LoL on you computer you probably have this and dont even know about it..

That said I've never had any issues with the program. No source to it being an issue moving forward either.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#14KillerTrufflePosted 2/28/2014 12:15:04 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less what marketing companies want... If you bundle an unwanted program with a wanted piece of software, and that unwanted program is installed surreptitiously, and it causes negative effects on your computer, and it is difficult or impossible to get rid of, it's malware. Period.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#15PsythikPosted 2/28/2014 12:16:11 PM
Bossdog421 posted...
Psythik posted...

There is no option to not install it, and i don't believe it even tells you that you are installing it.

If you have LoL on you computer you probably have this and dont even know about it..

That said I've never had any issues with the program. No source to it being an issue moving forward either.
I don't play LoL, but a double checked anyway and I don't have it installed.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#16TheSchrefPosted 2/28/2014 12:18:17 PM
PMB caused me to lag for literally weeks. I couldn't figure out what was going on and one day found a post claiming it causes lag and isn't needed. I was pretty mad to find out my lag was being caused by something so stupid.
#17darkmaian23Posted 2/28/2014 12:23:54 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Honestly, I couldn't care less what marketing companies want... If you bundle an unwanted program with a wanted piece of software, and that unwanted program is installed surreptitiously, and it causes negative effects on your computer, and it is difficult or impossible to get rid of, it's malware. Period.
#18Killah PriestPosted 2/28/2014 12:43:37 PM(edited)

I think once you start throwing "negative" effects and it being difficult to get rid of I think you've actually moved into malware.

I forget the exactness of it, but it was definitely something invented to be slightly more tactful to certain invasive applications.

Fun Fact: I just googled it and hit up wikipedia and PUP redirects to MALWARE automatically =p
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#19twopoundcowPosted 2/28/2014 1:17:48 PM
It was always of questionable value, now it's literally malware.

Luckily you could remove it immediately after installing League and have no adverse effects, so I haven't had in in years, but the companies that still use it really need to do something about it.
#20SinisterSlayPosted 2/28/2014 1:19:44 PM
twopoundcow posted...
It was always of questionable value, now it's literally malware.

Luckily you could remove it immediately after installing League and have no adverse effects, so I haven't had in in years, but the companies that still use it really need to do something about it.

Now that I think about it, I think I had it in the spybot teatimer blacklist to keep it out.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence