This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I upgrade from 4670K to a 4770K or 4790k?

#11popping4itPosted 2/28/2014 12:06:27 PM
Nicodimus posted...
popping4it posted...
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/586/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4670K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html#bench

Geez. That meager increase doesn't look like it's worth the $100-$150 difference I would have to pay for it, after selling my old CPU. I guess I will stick with this and get a new mobo and CPU in a couple of years.

i know right?
---
whens mahvel?
#12PhilOnDezPosted 2/28/2014 12:08:15 PM
If you really think you need hyperthreading the Xeon 1230v4 is very similar to the 4770, just 100mhz slower and no igp and only $10 more than the 4670k (about $40 more right now I guess, since 4670ks are on sale for $210 at a few places). Personally, I don't think it would be much of an upgrade for you though. If you wanted to see if it was your CPU holding you back you could see if undoing your overclock hurts your performance significantly, if it's only minor odds are something else is holding you back.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#13TheOtherGuyXPosted 2/28/2014 12:19:30 PM
Someone on Adobe forums said hyperthreading only showed about a 3-4% performance increase for RAW rendering. So for that task, no it's really not worth the extra $100.

For video encoding though, you could be looking at about a 20% decrease in encode times (at most) I believe but in reality that's just shaving off minutes that you could just leave the computer and go take a dump or eat something. Either way, not worth it if you ask me. That's a spare $100 you could spend on a better cpu cooler. 212 Evo isn't the greatest especially come summertime, these Haswells run pretty hot. Better off with a Noctua nh-d14, Corsair water cooler or NZXT Havik (which I use).
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#14Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 12:32:18 PM
TheOtherGuyX posted...
Someone on Adobe forums said hyperthreading only showed about a 3-4% performance increase for RAW rendering. So for that task, no it's really not worth the extra $100.

For video encoding though, you could be looking at about a 20% decrease in encode times (at most) I believe but in reality that's just shaving off minutes that you could just leave the computer and go take a dump or eat something. Either way, not worth it if you ask me. That's a spare $100 you could spend on a better cpu cooler. 212 Evo isn't the greatest especially come summertime, these Haswells run pretty hot. Better off with a Noctua nh-d14, Corsair water cooler or NZXT Havik (which I use).

Agree, it's just not substantial enough to justify the cost. Even the biggest videos finish rendering in like 10-15 minutes, but those are rare. Usually it's under 5. Shaving off 20 or 30 seconds from the average job just isn't something I would notice or care about. If it cut the time in half, it would probably be worth it.

My apartment is a lot hotter in the winter, actually. I have radiator heat that I don't control in here, and it's usually ~80 in the winter and ~70 in the summer. Running at 4.2 is not going to kill my CPU under those conditions. If I was really pushing the overclock, I would need something better for sure.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#15TheOtherGuyXPosted 2/28/2014 12:48:23 PM
Yeah I wouldn't really worry about it then, you should be fine. Really these cpu's only get hot when under full load which is pretty rare but they do run warmer than any processor I've used before.

Looking at your setup, it doesn't appear as if you'll need to upgrade anything for years to come unless the Maxwell's are truly worth it. Maybe the upcoming monitors with g-sync support that Nvidia has been bragging about but other than that, you're set.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."