This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I bought the WB HB, and it includes the F.E.A.R games...

#1lost_withinPosted 2/28/2014 10:51:15 AM
Are these games any good?

Also, I have the Batman Arkin Origins DLC that I am considering giving away, so the first person to PM me with interest will get first dibs if I decide to give it away.

Thanks
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#2Dark_SpiretPosted 2/28/2014 11:10:56 AM
FEAR 1 is great as long as you dont mind its dull environments. superb gunplay(still puts to shame most shooters), creepy atmosphere and intriguing story. outside of its environments it still holds up quite well visually despite being 9 years old. It also includes both of its expansions for free which is another 7-8hours of content.

FEAR 2 is good overall with better and more diverse areas and environments. better visuals and a nice continuation of the story. the great gameplay has been neutered somewhat thanks to consoles which is unfortunate. Its not as good as 1, but its worth checking out if you like shooters in general.

FEAR 3 is when things start to really get messy. its spooky atmosphere is nearly gone replaced by cover shooting and an xp system along with coop (tho it is decent fun). its story is butchered and in general comes off as a fairly cheap action game that lacks "soul". its multiplayer has some decent fun and its a competent shooter, but not much else. its also half the length of either the first or second game. its worth checking out if youre bored (and have already beaten the first 2 games), but its not great.

in short 1=awesome. 2=good. 3=meh.
---
Currently playing: Darksiders - Farcry 2- FF13: Lightning Returns
#3Jprime666Posted 2/28/2014 11:15:23 AM
Dark_Spiret posted...
FEAR 1 is great as long as you dont mind its dull environments. superb gunplay(still puts to shame most shooters), creepy atmosphere and intriguing story. outside of its environments it still holds up quite well visually despite being 9 years old. It also includes both of its expansions for free which is another 7-8hours of content.

FEAR 2 is good overall with better and more diverse areas and environments. better visuals and a nice continuation of the story. the great gameplay has been neutered somewhat thanks to consoles which is unfortunate. Its not as good as 1, but its worth checking out if you like shooters in general.

FEAR 3 is when things start to really get messy. its spooky atmosphere is nearly gone replaced by cover shooting and an xp system along with coop (tho it is decent fun). its story is butchered and in general comes off as a fairly cheap action game that lacks "soul". its multiplayer has some decent fun and its a competent shooter, but not much else. its also half the length of either the first or second game. its worth checking out if youre bored (and have already beaten the first 2 games), but its not great.

in short 1=awesome. 2=good. 3=meh.

This. Fear 3 is alright if you have someone to play with, otherwise it's a very forgettable FPS that lacks anything that the first 2 good.
---
Zvarri!
#4RhytenPosted 2/28/2014 11:29:24 AM
I finished FEAR 1 and the expansions, really good games. I started 2 and it's just no the same thing, but it's not that bad.
---
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-M | i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz | EVGA Gtx 570 1280 Mb | 8 Gb DDR 3 1333 Mhz | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900
3DS FC: 4313 1109 4662
#5DiviDudePosted 2/28/2014 11:37:29 AM
The general trend you're going to see is that each release gets worse.

I however think they're all pretty much mediocre in their own way, although I think 2 is the best. Didn't find the first game to be nearly as top-tier as most people seem to. But all three are worth playing, especially if your backlog is fairly thin.
#6wizardmonPosted 2/28/2014 1:07:14 PM
I found Fear3 to be on par with freely downloadable techdemos from 2006 in terms of gameplay and game engine mechanics.

Just avoid it, play fear 1 and maybe fear 2 if your feeling adventurous - I didn't like Fear 2 that much either but it's still leaps and bounds better than f3ar.

Fear 1 being among my top 10 favorite FPS games, and I've never played any of it's expansions. I really miss Fear combat, and I wish it's multiplayer did die (mostly because of that gamespy/fileplanet voodoo magic pray to the gods to get a CD key crap they pulled)
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7ClouddxPosted 2/28/2014 1:08:45 PM
wizardmon posted...
I found Fear3 to be on par with freely downloadable techdemos from 2006 in terms of gameplay and game engine mechanics.

Just avoid it, play fear 1 and maybe fear 2 if your feeling adventurous - I didn't like Fear 2 that much either but it's still leaps and bounds better than f3ar.

Fear 1 being among my top 10 favorite FPS games, and I've never played any of it's expansions. I really miss Fear combat, and I wish it's multiplayer did die (mostly because of that gamespy/fileplanet voodoo magic pray to the gods to get a CD key crap they pulled)

I loved FEAR1 multiplayer, was one of my fav things to play back then.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#8wizardmonPosted 2/28/2014 1:12:23 PM
Clouddx posted...
I loved FEAR1 multiplayer, was one of my fav things to play back then.

ROCK AND ROLL! What a mess!

Fond memories of bicycle kicking my way into a room to knock someone out, turning on slowmotion and shooting a shotgun right into his buddy causing him to just explode.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#9SinisterSlayPosted 2/28/2014 1:14:21 PM
I guess it depends TC if you like FPS games.

I got the fear series for free from xmas event on steam. I played a level and a half of the first one and was bored and sick of it already. I uninstalled it and haven't tried since.

I'm not sure if it was a bad game, only that I found it boring, but I find nearly all FPS games boring.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence