This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I actually think ESO is going to succeed.

#1DisastersaurusPosted 3/1/2014 12:17:32 PM
I realize the consensus is against me on this one, but I'm putting my money on it. This may sound backwards, but almost every time an MMO has come out since WoW, it gets lauded as 'SO AWESOME' and such, and then it bombs. Meanwhile, WoW itself was incredibly divisive before it hit, with most people calling it outright garbage. I think ESO is going to hit because of the same reason it pisses people so many people off; it's not afraid to just be an MMO and it doesn't try to impress the player with gimmicks.

I started off disliking the game, but by the time I reached Daggerfall [about level 12] I was hooked.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I wanna go on the record as making this bet.
---
hella butts
#2Hanlo_is_backPosted 3/1/2014 12:20:03 PM
It's The Elder Scrolls, so it will probably sell, regardless of quality.
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#3Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 12:21:56 PM
Hanlo_is_back posted...

Any MMO can sell. I mean I think ESO will still have a sizable, profitable playerbase five years from now.
---
hella butts
#4LoshadtPosted 3/1/2014 12:24:00 PM
Hanlo_is_back posted...

You can only do so much with name alone.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#5Hanlo_is_backPosted 3/1/2014 12:30:40 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
Hanlo_is_back posted...

Any MMO can sell. I mean I think ESO will still have a sizable, profitable playerbase five years from now.

It's definitely possible. People may not like the subscription, but that didn't stop WoW or Eve.
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#6Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 12:31:42 PM
Hanlo_is_back posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
Hanlo_is_back posted...

It's definitely possible. People may not like the subscription, but that didn't stop WoW or Eve.

Yeah, and for all the flak the game gets, I think it's actually really good. The architecture for the PvP is good, the writing and questing is actually quite fun, and if they can offer enough post-release content to keep people happy, I think this could at least be a successful game on the level of Rift, if not WoW-successful.
---
hella butts
#7KaiRyusakiPosted 3/1/2014 12:33:38 PM
With a $60 entrance fee, i think they'll atleast get close to making their money back.
#8KroosaydurPosted 3/1/2014 12:48:44 PM
I thought of that too. People said Age of Conan, Warhammer, Rift, SWtoR ect would all kill WoW and they all failed. Now an mmo is coming out that people actually expect to fail so that means it will probably do very well.
Also i remember when WoW was in beta alot of people didnt like it.
People suck and are stupid is the logical conclusion.
#9-5xad0w-Posted 3/1/2014 12:50:30 PM
It may sell, but I'm not sure about it's long term stability.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#10ThePCElitistPosted 3/1/2014 12:53:46 PM
It may or may not be a success depending on what their investors deem "profit" or not. It could get 3 million subs and still flop.