This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

whats the best free place to learn coding / languages?

#1returnofbeansPosted 3/1/2014 1:48:59 PM
friend suggested this http://www.codecademy.com/

not sure if its the best place for me since i have never set my eyes on coding. also as far as i know,

the most i want to create in the long run is a small game thats a bit like resident evil 1 through 3 styles. nothing advance. open doors, pick up items, poisons over time as my first game.
i tried using rpg maker but its not even close to what i had in mind.
---
Intel i5-4750 3.2Ghz / 2X 4GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1333 / 2 TB HDD / Geforce GTX 580 / 500W 80+ bronze
#2Greendragon854Posted 3/1/2014 2:05:52 PM
I completed a couple lessons in codeacadamy, and it does an OK job. I'm a complete newbie with coding as well. There were some times where having someone actually show me (or a video demonstrating why I was doing what I was doing) would have been intensely helpful and would have saved me a half hour here and there. But it kind of broke that wall of fear for beginning to code.

I'm still looking for something good as well though.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#3cancerstormPosted 3/1/2014 2:44:40 PM
returnofbeans posted...

not sure if its the best place for me since i have never set my eyes on coding. also as far as i know,

the most i want to create in the long run is a small game thats a bit like resident evil 1 through 3 styles. nothing advance. open doors, pick up items, poisons over time as my first game.

it'll be easier for you to use rpg maker or something similar than learning how to code from scratch for what you want to do
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#4LoshadtPosted 3/1/2014 2:57:50 PM
cancerstorm posted...
it'll be easier for you to use rpg maker or something similar than learning how to code from scratch for what you want to do

Definitely. There's no shame in using a pre-made engine to make a game, big budget AAA studios do it all the time.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#5a687947Posted 3/1/2014 3:00:32 PM(edited)
cancerstorm posted...
returnofbeans posted...

except he specifically said rpg maker isn't even close to what he had in mind. Maybe something like udk or unity would work
#6returnofbeans(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 3:11:09 PM
i believe the engine that came closest to doing what i wanted to do was i believe game maker? it had a green kog as its symbol. except stand alone it didn't have that walk up / walk down just left and right platformer feel.

though for coding wise, codeacademy is the only vote so far? i just want to know if theres anything limited by learning ruby for my first language compared to more well known ones like C.
---
Intel i5-4750 3.2Ghz / 2X 4GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1333 / 2 TB HDD / Geforce GTX 580 / 500W 80+ bronze
#7SpacePirateKhanPosted 3/1/2014 3:14:58 PM
You can do isometric in Game Maker, it's not that bad.
I freakin' love it, used it for years making silly little games.
---
"The best things in life must be taken... by force!"
~Khan from Rosetown, 4184-1827-7503
#8Treason686Posted 3/1/2014 3:34:58 PM
Loshadt posted...
cancerstorm posted...

Definitely. There's no shame in using a pre-made engine to make a game, big budget AAA studios do it all the time.

Big budget studios use full fledged game engine IDEs. However, in order to actually do anything worthwhile with these engines (examples being Unity3D or Unreal), you need to know how to code. I've dabbled in Unity3D, and it uses either C# or JavaScript with their own APIs. I know a C pretty well, but if I didn't know anything at all about programming there'd be absolutely nothing I could do in Unity except maybe make a picture that does nothing.

There are many programming concepts one should know before trying to tackle something like a game you're envisioning.

Thankfully something like Unity already has physics, lighting, and transform (Moving around) in the API, but manipulating other functions to actually make your character or enemy do things requires thorough knowledge of basic programming concepts like functions (Or methods, in Java... same difference), function parameters, return types, if/else statements, loops, and, for efficiency, an understand of algorithms and their run times (Big O) wouldn't hurt, either.

C is a great place to start, because there are tons of languages based on it. Java, C++, Objective C, C#, and others are heavily influenced by C. In fact, I believe everything in C works in C++, and much of the syntax in C is similar/identical to that of Java, C#, and Objective C.

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

Here's a free tutorial that goes over the basics of C. If you choose to use it, I'd recommend a Linux dual boot or virtual machine, as it's just way easier to compile. The gcc compiler is usually included by default in Linux distros. Some will say to use a plain text editor, which isn't a bad idea while you learn how to use gcc from the command line. After you figure that out, download something like Netbeans to make your life easier. The only reason I'd recommend starting out learning to compile without an IDE is so you understand how it works in case your IDE doesn't agree with you. Even then, sometimes it's just easier to have a separate terminal window open to compile.

I skimmed this over, and this goes over how to use gcc pretty thoroughly. If you don't want to go through the trouble of installing Linux (I highly recommend you do... There are many, many advantages over Windows when it comes to development), there is MinGW for Windows which will compile C code.

http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/programming/cpp/gcc_make.html
^^
I'd recommend reading over this first. Just go through the tutorial and copy pasta the sample hello world program. After you learn how to compile, move on to the cprogramming.com tutorial above.
---
I <3 segfault
#9Treason686Posted 3/1/2014 3:47:42 PM
returnofbeans posted...
i believe the engine that came closest to doing what i wanted to do was i believe game maker? it had a green kog as its symbol. except stand alone it didn't have that walk up / walk down just left and right platformer feel.

though for coding wise, codeacademy is the only vote so far? i just want to know if theres anything limited by learning ruby for my first language compared to more well known ones like C.

I don't know anything about Game Maker, but Unity3D is a very powerful and versatile (and free for indies) IDE used by tons of developers. Learning the ins and outs of C (Plus all the programming concepts I listed above) would put you right at home with the scripting language in C# with Unity.

I don't know enough about Ruby to have an opinion on it. I can say I don't know of a single game written with Ruby. After looking through some Ruby code snippets, I'd bet that you'd be learning Ruby just to learn another language to write code for a game.
---
I <3 segfault
#10returnofbeans(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 3:50:54 PM
thanks alot, if it means easier coding, i will definitly dual boot into linux. can i install linux into a partition while i have windows as my main? i think my friend said windows and linux dont like each other but i dont remember which he said i have to install first.
---