This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

LoL vs Dota Differences?

#1IMProdiGYPosted 3/1/2014 8:17:05 PM
Don't mean to be a noob, but I have never played either game. All I know one is free to play and that one game smashes everything with viewers on Twitch. I tried to watched both games don't get it.

I don't want to base my decision on amount of viewers because that should not mean a game is better.

Thanks
---
You know you're old when you know what flipping a game means!! glhf
#2majinbuu58Posted 3/1/2014 8:21:49 PM
Start off with League. Its easier to learn
#3Cool_Dude667Posted 3/1/2014 8:23:43 PM
Dota has more of the older mechanics like killing your own minions to deny your opponent, while LoL streamlined much of the genre, while adding customization options outside of the game, which I don't think dota 2 has, which is a good thing IMO. LoL is more pay 2 win in this manner.

I personally find the genre dull.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#4happyscrub1Posted 3/1/2014 8:26:17 PM
Dota2 has uneeded concepts and has archaic gameplay. It tried to basiclly copy some thing what, 10 years old(?) but just update the graphics.

LoL improved and streamlined the moba gameplay
---
Season 4 Tier list updated 2/15/14
http://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/12543389223/
#5Majoras_pantsPosted 3/1/2014 8:26:20 PM
LoL is easier, lower skill gap. Still a pretty competitive game compared to other genres, but easy compared to a lot of MOBAs. The free to play model is crap. Takes a LONG time to unlock all of the champions (took me over 2 years) and then you have runes to unlock. You can just unlock rune pages and champions with real money and have a huge advantage over players who didn't do so, since having a larger pool of champions is an advantage. Counterplay and team comp is extremely important, and tough to do before you have at least half of the champsions in the game.

DOTA 2 is a better game but tougher to learn. You start with everything, too.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#6majinbuu58Posted 3/1/2014 8:26:26 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Dota has more of the older mechanics like killing your own minions to deny your opponent, while LoL streamlined much of the genre, while adding customization options outside of the game, which I don't think dota 2 has, which is a good thing IMO. LoL is more pay 2 win in this manner.

I personally find the genre dull.

Wat.. Neither are pay 2 win in any manner
#7happyscrub1Posted 3/1/2014 8:30:32 PM(edited)
majinbuu58 posted...

Having lots of champions and rune pages in LoL gives you more options and flexability in rank. You a complete troll if you don't think other wise.

example: Typical solo rune top page would have armor yellows and MR per lvl blues. But if you had to lane vs Vlad, you'll really wish you could afford another page for maybe health yellows and flat MR blues.
---
Season 4 Tier list updated 2/15/14
http://www.flickr.com/photos/110210424@N05/12543389223/
#8majinbuu58Posted 3/1/2014 8:36:24 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
majinbuu58 posted...

Having lots of champions and rune pages in LoL gives you more options and flexability in rank. You a complete troll if you don't think other wise.

example: Typical solo rune top page would have armor yellows and MR per lvl blues. But if you had to lane vs Vlad, you'll really wish you could afford another page for maybe health yellows and flat MR blues.

Can't buy runes with real money, so not pay 2 win. That and by the time you get to the point where runes make a difference, you'll have runes.
#9Majoras_pantsPosted 3/1/2014 8:37:51 PM
majinbuu58 posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
majinbuu58 posted...

Can't buy runes with real money, so not pay 2 win. That and by the time you get to the point where runes make a difference, you'll have runes.

It's pay to win. You can't pay for runes but you can pay for rune pages., And there's certainly a HUGE advantage to having a larger pool of champions for counterplay and making better team comps. And there's an advantage to having more rune pages.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#10someguyshandPosted 3/1/2014 8:47:48 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
majinbuu58 posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
majinbuu58 posted...

It's pay to win. You can't pay for runes but you can pay for rune pages., And there's certainly a HUGE advantage to having a larger pool of champions for counterplay and making better team comps. And there's an advantage to having more rune pages.

Regardless if it's pay to win or not, you don't to deal with that nonsense in Dota 2 (paying for heroes or runes) which in itself is a pretty big deal, I reckon.
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif