This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To non-linux users

#1AlexKidd5000Posted 3/1/2014 9:07:00 PM
When you think of Linux, does Ubuntu immediately come to mind? Ubuntu IS linux, but linux is NOT Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not the only game in town, and certainly not the only user freindly Linux distro around. In my opinion, Ubuntu is not as user freindly, or as bug free, and stable as other distros, like PCLinuxOS, Manjaro, Chakra, Debian, and many others. Ubuntu devs often break things, especially the kernel that they ship with Ubuntu.
#2EpicKingdom_Posted 3/1/2014 9:10:41 PM
Did you say something?
---
You're not Master Race until the Gaben reveals himself before you. ALL of himself. https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#3KaiRyusakiPosted 3/1/2014 9:13:11 PM
I think that's common knowledge OP

If anything, i think it's more common for people to think linux itself is an OS.
#4AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 9:16:34 PM
KaiRyusaki posted...
I think that's common knowledge OP

If anything, i think it's more common for people to think linux itself is an OS.

Your probably right. Alot of linux users, especially new ones seem to flock to ubuntu, maybe becuase they think its the only user friendly version, or becuase its the only version they ever hear about.
#5New LinkPosted 3/6/2014 12:36:21 PM
Better question, do they view Android and ChromeOS as linux? Both of these platforms are locked down and minimal in functionality when compared to most distributions, but at their core they too are linux.

What about SheamOS? People install SteamOS for to gain better performance over Windows, but do they realize that they could just as easily install Steam on the other distributions? Heck I play my steam games on a Slackware box.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#6Majoras_pantsPosted 3/6/2014 12:40:58 PM
I don't think non-linux users think about linux. I'm sure the vast majority of them don't know what ubuntu is at all.

Personally, when someone mentions Linux, I think of green matrix text flying over a computer screen.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#7pothocketPosted 3/6/2014 12:42:48 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
I don't think non-linux users think about linux. I'm sure the vast majority of them don't know what ubuntu is at all.

Personally, when someone mentions Linux, I think of green matrix text flying over a computer screen.

I think of penguins.
#8New LinkPosted 3/6/2014 12:44:52 PM
majora's pants

wow this new gamefaqs interface sucks.

Anyway, go look at a youtube video of ElemuntaryOS. It'll give you a better idea of post-1993 linux.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#9ShubPosted 3/6/2014 12:44:58 PM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Alot of linux users, especially new ones seem to flock to ubuntu, maybe becuase they think its the only user friendly version

I think Fedora is pretty damn user-friendly.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10Orestes417Posted 3/6/2014 12:48:28 PM
Ubuntu's always had a decent marketing machine. That said I tend t avoid newbies entirely, they get grating real fast once they catch the "give em a linux box and they think they're jean luc picard" syndrome.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together