The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer from scratch that will outperform PS4 @ $400?

#1RevolutionZealPosted 3/2/2014 4:13:29 AM(edited)
This has been bugging me for quite a while. I see many people say this, but they never provide the part list. I already got a gaming PC, but I want to know this just for curiosity sake lol.

It must have:
- CPU
- GPU
- Motherboard
- RAM
- Power Supply
- Case
- OS

Not sure if it's fair to add keyboard and mouse as requirement, but the PS4 includes a controller right? It's up to you guys on that lol. Same goes with blu-ray. Oh, and if you could... don't include shops like Microcenter where it's CPU deals are inaccessible to people who don't live near one. I have to be able to go out and buy it from the internet right now if I wanted to. But I don't need or want to build it. This is more of a "give me proof that you can build this PC and it's stronger and has a cheaper price than the PS4" to the people who say they can

And yes, I also know it doesn't matter if you can or can't build one that is stronger but cheaper than the ps4 at the same. PC is better is still better for many different reasons, that much is obvious.

From what I understand, part of the value from PC gaming is that it has much more value in the long run and you save a lot of money from constant discounts of games (steam sales, etc), NOT because you can build a stronger PC compared to the consoles and somehow it's still cheaper. It might cost more at first, but it's a better value in the long term. At least, until the console life cycle is towards the end, THEN it becomes cheaper. Is this wrong? Of course, I'm going to miss a whole lot of other reasons for value, but is the reasons I've stated wrong?

Any input is appreciated, and thanks in advance for anyone who is able to provide a part list.
#2JavelinPosted 3/2/2014 3:27:35 AM
RevolutionZeal posted...
From what I understand, the value from PC gaming is that it has much more value in the long run and you save a lot of money from constant discounts of games (steam sales, etc),

No, the value of PC gaming is that you can play games designed for intelligent people.
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#3RevolutionZeal(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2014 3:29:04 AM
Javelin posted...
RevolutionZeal posted...
From what I understand, the value from PC gaming is that it has much more value in the long run and you save a lot of money from constant discounts of games (steam sales, etc),

No, the value of PC gaming is that you can play games designed for intelligent people.

So was the quoted portion false, or incomplete?
#4Majoras_pantsPosted 3/2/2014 3:30:25 AM
Nope.

And the value of PC is an open platform that allows for mods, variable control types depending on the game and upgradability. And of course the much larger pool of games.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#5WerdnAndreWPosted 3/2/2014 3:32:11 AM
You will regret buying a crap cheap pc.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#6triple sPosted 3/2/2014 3:33:59 AM
No. It really doesn't matter, because PC gaming has a lot to do with choice. WIth OS, it would probably take a $600 PC to match a PS4 but that same PS4 can't do everything that PC can. I also can't fit a 780 TI in a $400 budget but a PS4 isn't playing my games at 1440p/60fps either....get my point? At this point, my PC is also capable of playing PS1 and PS2 games at 1440p so my PC technically has better backwards compatibility than the PS4. How much money does it take the PS4 to match that? How much money does it take the PS4 to play a majoirty Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Genesis, Neo Geo and other previous system games? How much money does it take for the PS4 to have over 6.5 terrabytes of HDD space like I have in my PC?
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#7claytonbuckleyPosted 3/2/2014 3:38:09 AM
You would have a PC anyways, so instead of building a PC from scratch for less than a PS4 you should be looking at upgrading your current PC for @$400 so it's better than a PS4.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#8RevolutionZeal(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2014 3:47:03 AM
WerdnAndreW posted...
You will regret buying a crap cheap pc.

Yes I would :(

triple s posted...
No. It really doesn't matter, because PC gaming has a lot to do with choice. WIth OS, it would probably take a $600 PC to match a PS4 but that same PS4 can't do everything that PC can. I also can't fit a 780 TI in a $400 budget but a PS4 isn't playing my games at 1440p/60fps either....get my point? At this point, my PC is also capable of playing PS1 and PS2 games at 1440p so my PC technically has better backwards compatibility than the PS4. How much money does it take the PS4 to match that? How much money does it take the PS4 to play a majoirty Wii, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Genesis, Neo Geo and other previous system games? How much money does it take for the PS4 to have over 6.5 terrabytes of HDD space like I have in my PC?

Nah, I already knew all that. My only interest is whether or not the answer to the title question is yes or no (which so far, it's a no as I predicted), and whether my perception of the PC's value is "wrong" (which no one has said it's wrong, but rather incomplete - I'm too lazy to post all reasons of why the PC is more valuable).
#9teh1337gosuPosted 3/2/2014 4:04:27 AM
Its impossible with the parts you required.
---
Yvan eht nioj
#10wentzelotPosted 3/2/2014 4:35:14 AM
Javelin posted...
RevolutionZeal posted...

such as world of warcraft and league of legends!