This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer from scratch that will outperform PS4 @ $400?

#11PhilOnDezPosted 3/2/2014 6:09:31 AM
FX6300-$120
750ti-$150
Cheap mobo-$60
4 gigs of ram-$30 (yeah the PS4 has 8, but 3.5 gigs are system reserved for a total of 4.5 putting 4system+2gpu ahead)
CX430-$20
Cheap m/kb-$10
Cheap case-$15
SteamOS-$0 (doesn't have full modern game support but its library is 10x as big as PS4's)

Total-$405. These deals may not be available right this second but they're available often enough that they aren't unreasonable estimates. If you really need windows then you can add it in and still beat/match the xbone's price depending on how cheap you can get a copy of windows ($70 for students with talks of a free ad supported version in the works, not sure if the PS4 has ads but I know my 360 and PS3 do. that might leave enough room for a bluray reader if you really wanted it, not that you'd ever use it, or you could upgrade to a gtx660)

At the end of the day it won't perform quite as well as the PS4 but on paper it's graphically equal and much more powerful on the CPU front (PS4/Xbone have two cores system reserved, 6 available for use. They're clocked much lower on a much less efficient architecture, to match their crappiness you'd have to underclock the 6300 to ~1.1 ghz). If you go for the $500 windows/660 option it will beat both consoles in both graphics and processing, to say nothing of the utility.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12Fade2black001Posted 3/2/2014 6:37:07 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
FX6300-$120
750ti-$150
Cheap mobo-$60
4 gigs of ram-$30 (yeah the PS4 has 8, but 3.5 gigs are system reserved for a total of 4.5 putting 4system+2gpu ahead)
CX430-$20
Cheap m/kb-$10
Cheap case-$15
SteamOS-$0 (doesn't have full modern game support but its library is 10x as big as PS4's)

Total-$405. These deals may not be available right this second but they're available often enough that they aren't unreasonable estimates. If you really need windows then you can add it in and still beat/match the xbone's price depending on how cheap you can get a copy of windows ($70 for students with talks of a free ad supported version in the works, not sure if the PS4 has ads but I know my 360 and PS3 do. that might leave enough room for a bluray reader if you really wanted it, not that you'd ever use it, or you could upgrade to a gtx660)

At the end of the day it won't perform quite as well as the PS4 but on paper it's graphically equal and much more powerful on the CPU front (PS4/Xbone have two cores system reserved, 6 available for use. They're clocked much lower on a much less efficient architecture, to match their crappiness you'd have to underclock the 6300 to ~1.1 ghz). If you go for the $500 windows/660 option it will beat both consoles in both graphics and processing, to say nothing of the utility.

The 750TI doesn't outperform the PS4's GPU.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#13PhilOnDezPosted 3/2/2014 6:45:30 AM(edited)
I flat-out said in my post it doesn't beat it, only matches it on paper, not in practice. If you're going to quote a 2000 character post when it's already the last post in the topic (for posterity in case I edited?) to add 7 words to it make sure you at least read it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#14ConkerPosted 3/2/2014 6:47:32 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
PhilOnDez posted...
FX6300-$120
750ti-$150
Cheap mobo-$60
CX430-$20
Cheap m/kb-$10
Cheap case-$15

The 750TI doesn't outperform the PS4's GPU.

Can anyone prove this with evidence (has anyone done a comparison)? I'm actually wish a tech site would do a build and compare with something like this, because people say it all the time, but do they really know an equal graphical comparison and the hardware required? If the graphical settings were adjusted and run at the same resolution as PS4 versions of games, what would it really require on the PC side of things?
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#15PhilOnDezPosted 3/2/2014 6:52:53 AM
I've asked that same question myself a few times. People with similar setups have complained about low performance in console ports for several posts in a row but when I asked them what settings they were using and informed them that the console versions were running at 720/900p they disappeared. I'm sure it's behind by a bit but it's probably closer than anyone wants to admit for whatever reason.
---
#16Majoras_pantsPosted 3/2/2014 7:38:11 AM
750ti isn't on par with the PS4 GPU?

I mean I'm not familiar with the card but isn't it on par with the 660ti which is more powerful than the PS4 GPU?
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#17Infinity8378Posted 3/2/2014 7:43:23 AM
see sig.
---
There's only one PS4 killer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqPAbC-ECs&feature=youtu.be
#18therickmu25Posted 3/2/2014 8:26:34 AM
weird, never seen this topic before...
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#19PhilOnDezPosted 3/2/2014 8:45:29 AM
Majoras_pants posted...
750ti isn't on par with the PS4 GPU?

I mean I'm not familiar with the card but isn't it on par with the 660ti which is more powerful than the PS4 GPU?

At 1080p it gets comparable frame rates to the 650ti boost which is equivalent to a 7850 which is equivalent to a 7970m which is what's closest to what the PS4 has, though it's cut down from that with higher clocks to compensate. I think it's actually a fair bit more powerful than the 650ti boost but it has the same issue as the 650ti which is that it's hampered by its memory bus at 1080p which was the only upgrade between the 650ti and Boost. I base this on the fact that it has much higher lows than the 650ti boost did in demanding games at 1080p but slightly lower averages.

The 760 is roughly equivalent to a 660ti and the 660 is roughly equivalent to a 7870 which would solidly beat the 7850-esque gpu in the ps4.
---
#20Infinity8378Posted 3/2/2014 8:52:04 AM(edited)
7970>>>>>>>7850
(Quote:The 760 is roughly equivalent to a 660ti and the 660 is roughly equivalent to a 7870 which would solidly beat the 7850-esque gpu in the ps4.)
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
---
There's only one PS4 killer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqPAbC-ECs&feature=youtu.be