This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer from scratch that will outperform PS4 @ $400?

#71ConkerPosted 3/2/2014 9:49:43 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Conker posted...
Yeah, parts going up makes it hard. Back before the mining craze you could get a 7870 for $130 and 7850's for $110 on sale or after MIR, and it included the AMD bundle when they still had more games available.

There were also some great holiday deals on processors with mobo combos. Microcenter had the best ones, but Newegg and Amazon also had some great prices.

RAM has stayed pretty close the same, but I'm sure there were some good deals to save a little bit.

It would be smart if Newegg would do a DIY full build deal at around $500 to compete with the new consoles and include Win 8. It'd be entirely possible since they usually discount those DIY sales by $75-100.

The problem is that discounts need to be relative. That's a ~20% discount for a DIY PC. Not out of the question, but you usually don't see deals that good.

Newegg does $75-120 off $600 DIY builds all the time...making them around $500 or less. They have numerous ones right now, they just include some overpriced part or lack a good gpu. A better combo of parts could easily fix that.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#72DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/2/2014 10:23:49 PM
Conker posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Conker posted...
Yeah, parts going up makes it hard. Back before the mining craze you could get a 7870 for $130 and 7850's for $110 on sale or after MIR, and it included the AMD bundle when they still had more games available.

There were also some great holiday deals on processors with mobo combos. Microcenter had the best ones, but Newegg and Amazon also had some great prices.

RAM has stayed pretty close the same, but I'm sure there were some good deals to save a little bit.

It would be smart if Newegg would do a DIY full build deal at around $500 to compete with the new consoles and include Win 8. It'd be entirely possible since they usually discount those DIY sales by $75-100.

The problem is that discounts need to be relative. That's a ~20% discount for a DIY PC. Not out of the question, but you usually don't see deals that good.

Newegg does $75-120 off $600 DIY builds all the time...making them around $500 or less. They have numerous ones right now, they just include some overpriced part or lack a good gpu. A better combo of parts could easily fix that.

The reason for that is because those overpriced parts are harder to sell, because they're overpriced.
Better to sell at a discount than not at all.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#73ConkerPosted 3/2/2014 11:37:18 PM
I should have said they're not low enough cost to be good value for a cheap gaming build, they're not overpriced as a standalone product.

They're also likely not hard to sell, either, since a lot of the parts have hundreds of reviews and often get recommendations for builds.

The point is, a lot of their DIY builds have a cheap CPU, GPU, etc. but then has a $150 mobo that just doesn't fit the other level of products. If the combos were better focused on the gaming performance, it could be done...I'm not saying anything on why they don't, as I'm sure there are various reasons.
---
#74DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/2/2014 11:45:34 PM
Conker posted...
I should have said they're not low enough cost to be good value for a cheap gaming build, they're not overpriced as a standalone product.

They're also likely not hard to sell, either, since a lot of the parts have hundreds of reviews and often get recommendations for builds.

The point is, a lot of their DIY builds have a cheap CPU, GPU, etc. but then has a $150 mobo that just doesn't fit the other level of products. If the combos were better focused on the gaming performance, it could be done...I'm not saying anything on why they don't, as I'm sure there are various reasons.

Combos like that are almost always to vent excess stock.
---
#75ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 12:00:40 AM
Not necessarily.
---
#76wizardmonPosted 3/3/2014 12:12:07 AM
Conker posted...
Not necessarily.

almost always

I'm pretty sure 'almost always' implies 'Not necessarily' within the scope of it's definition.

What are you even saying? That in the few times it's not almost always a way to vent excess stock that it's not a deal just to vent excess stock?
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#77ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 12:26:03 AM
I'm saying that's not necessarily the case of "almost always," and there is no evidence of such. There are various logistical reasons for the sales and combos, outside of excess stock. But Dark likes to disagree with just about everything, particularly when I post general comments it seems.

The fact is, he has no basis for those comments and can't just agree that it would be nice to have a $500 DIY combo build when it is entirely possible both in parts and from a profitable standpoint for Newegg. Neither of us would be the target market anyways, so I don't see what the point in arguing the "why" behind a possible sale/combo when it's not like I picked out specific or unreasonable parts to do so outside of their current bundles.
---
#78DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 12:30:21 AM
Conker posted...
I'm saying that's not necessarily the case of "almost always," and there is no evidence of such. There are various logistical reasons for the sales and combos, outside of excess stock. But Dark likes to disagree with just about everything, particularly when I post general comments it seems.

The fact is, he has no basis for those comments and can't just agree that it would be nice to have a $500 DIY combo build when it is entirely possible both in parts and from a profitable standpoint for Newegg. Neither of us would be the target market anyways, so I don't see what the point in arguing the "why" behind a possible sale/combo when it's not like I picked out specific or unreasonable parts to do so outside of their current bundles.

Well, since you're throwing a tizzy over it, why do you think they don't do a super PS4-killer combo deal then? Surely, it's not because they're just completely inept at system building.
You're the one that seems to think this isn't for a reason.
---
#79ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 12:48:56 AM(edited)
They usually do combos for consoles within a year of release...and have already done them for the current consoles. Microsoft has a Titanfall bundle with the One for $500 and is advertising it as "same price as normal One but get Titanfall included plus Live subscription."

What about the combos that include an i5-4670k, 4GB Sniper series ram, a GTX 650 ti, ASRock Pro mobo, Seasonic 500w PSU, and a fairly popular case?

Or how about a new AMD APU with similar items but a 300w PSU and no GPU instead?

The items that don't fit for a low priced gaming build in these examples are often the CPU or mobo, that are popular sellers in the first place that you'd have no idea about excess stock.

The fact is, your assumption about almost always is not necessarily true in regards to the products I was talking about that are "overpriced" for the combos they are with.
---
#80DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 12:51:53 AM
Conker posted...
They usually do combos for consoles within a year of release...and have already done them for the current consoles. Microsoft has a Titanfall bundle with the One for $500 and is advertising it as "same price as normal One but get Titanfall included plus Live subscription."

What about the combos that include an i5-4670k, 4GB Sniper series ram, a GTX 650 ti, ASRock Pro mobo, Seasonic 500w PSU, and a fairly popular case?

Or how about a new AMD APU with similar items but a 300w PSU and no GPU instead?

The items that don't fit for a low priced gaming build in these examples are often the CPU or mobo, that are popular sellers in the first place that you'd have no idea about excess stock.

The fact is, your assumption about almost always is not necessarily true in regards to the products I was talking about that are "overpriced" for the combos they are with.

i5 4670k builds aren't what we're talking about, though. We're talking about builds in the price range of consoles.
---