This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer from scratch that will outperform PS4 @ $400?

#81ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 12:22:42 AM
That is what I was originally talking about, you take one of the DIY i5 builds and replace it with an i3 and you're down to ~$500 rather than $600+.

Or swap some of the parts in the different combos they have on sale currently to make more sense for a budget gamer build. Which nullifies your excess stock point...what I mean is, if an i3 combo has a 7870 included and an i5 has a 260x, swap the combos parts around to make for a better low-cost gaming combo where an i3 with the 260x makes more sense for a budget build, even if every other part is the same. There are lots of different examples though, with mobos, psus, ram, etc. all in different combos that would make more sense in other combos.

None of the parts are indicative of what you're arguing about excess stock and doesnt apply to their discounts if they're items already on discount anyways.

The thing is, a lot of people likely buy builds with parts that make no sense, so they still sell these combos rather than more sensible ones, regardless of all of the parts available in sales/combos.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#82DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 12:27:42 AM
Conker posted...
That is what I was originally talking about, you take one of the DIY i5 builds and replace it with an i3 and you're down to ~$500 rather than $600+.

Or swap some of the parts in the different combos they have on sale currently to make more sense for a budget gamer build. Which nullifies your excess stock point...what I mean is, if an i3 combo has a 7870 included and an i5 has a 260x, swap the combos parts around to make for a better low-cost gaming combo where an i3 with the 260x makes more sense for a budget build, even if every other part is the same. There are lots of different examples though, with mobos, psus, ram, etc. all in different combos that would make more sense in other combos.

None of the parts are indicative of what you're arguing about excess stock and doesnt apply to their discounts if they're items already on discount anyways.

The thing is, a lot of people likely buy builds with parts that make no sense, so they still sell these combos rather than more sensible ones, regardless of all of the parts available in sales/combos.

So you're still stuck on the whole "discounts are relative" thing, then.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#83ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 12:39:24 AM
So you're still stuck on unprovable pointless arguments then.
---
#84DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 12:40:02 AM
Conker posted...
So you're still stuck on unprovable pointless arguments then.

Bitter much?
---
#85ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 12:43:24 AM
I like how I proved you wrong about the PS4 comment in relation to excess stock, but instead of acknowledging it, you ignored that to make a statement about the i5 that wasn't even the point.

Thats not me being bitter, it's you being annoying and using trollish methods of arguing so there's no reason to continue giving reasonable responses.
---
#86DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 12:50:51 AM
Conker posted...
I like how I proved you wrong about the PS4 comment in relation to excess stock, but instead of acknowledging it, you ignored that to make a statement about the i5 that wasn't even the point.

Thats not me being bitter, it's you being annoying and using trollish methods of arguing so there's no reason to continue giving reasonable responses.

I like how you completely avoided the initial point, redirected the conversation, and then fell back on half-assed personal attacks instead having a rational discussion when that didn't work out, and then tried to blame everything on me when that didn't work out.
---
#87ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 1:16:15 AM(edited)
Edit: excuse the typos.

What are you talking about? The initial point I did directly respond about. You said the discounts need to be relative and at 20% would be too good to be true...well they already do those discounts which is what I responded saying, so how would it be too good to be true if they already do similar but have odd choices in various different combos, which I gave examples of. My original $75-100 discount off $600 builds is based on their current and previous DIY combo deals. And my point about an overpriced part was in relation to the rest of the build vs other combos with more sensible parts, not excess stock parts that you turned this into a discussion about...which I then also pointed out the fault in your thinking with your own example of a console sale comparison. It doesn't have to be "almost always" in excess stock to be on sale or in a combo, exactly why I said "not necessarily."

Tbh, it's also unprovable in regards to what's in excess for it's reasoning to be on sale, since we can't check the combos and know what parts cost what per unit to Newegg, and what's overpriced for what builds is subjective anyways. So yes, you're arguing pointless unprovable things rather than just going, "Yeah, they could make a combo at that price if they matched their sale items better."
---
#88DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 1:18:14 AM
Conker posted...
Edit: excuse the typos.

What are you talking about? The initial point I did directly respond about. You said the discounts need to be relative and at 20% would be to good to be true...well they already do those discounts which is what I responded saying. My original $75-100 discount off $600 builds is based on their current and previous DIY combo deals. And my point about an overpriced part was in relation to the rest of the build vs other combos with more sensible parts, not excess stock parts that you turned this into a discussion about...which I then also pointed out the fault in your thinking with your own example of a console sale comparison. It doesn't have to be almost always in excess stock to be on sale or in a combo, exactly why I said not necessarily.

Tbh, it's also unprovable in regards to what's in excess for it's reasoning to be on sale, since we can't check the combos and know what parts cost what per unit to Newegg, and what's overpriced for what builds is subjective anyways. So yes, you're arguing pointless unprovable things rather than just going, "Yeah, they could make a combo at that price if they matched their sale items better."

Right, they have those discounts on stock that's hard to vent, high margin stock, ect. Not cheap low-margin budget parts. And then you went off about some i5 build as though it was relevant, and then threw a little tizzy.
why do you think they don't do a super PS4-killer combo deal then? Surely, it's not because they're just completely inept at system building.

---
#89Infinity8378Posted 3/3/2014 1:22:02 AM
see sig

99.9% chance of outpreforming PS4
---
There's only one PS4 killer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqPAbC-ECs&feature=youtu.be
#90ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 2:12:06 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Right, they have those discounts on stock that's hard to vent, high margin stock, ect. Not cheap low-margin budget parts. And then you went off about some i5 build as though it was relevant, and then threw a little tizzy.

How isn't an i5 build relevant? You're not making sense in context of what I said about the other combo sales. If one i5 combo is $600 after the discounts and includes certain items and a separate i3 build is $300 and lacks items such as a GPU, they could mix and match the items from both combos to make a more effective gaming combo for $500. THE ITEMS ARE ON SALE EITHER WAY just with different less enticing combos for effective builds, thus it could actually be more beneficial to both a gamer to have the better mix of parts.

Perfect example, first build is $302 after MIR but needs a GPU, then compare to the second which has everything but is $585. Both need an OS though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1322757

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1536860

So what would be so difficult about taking the GTX 650ti from the i5 build and putting it with the i3 build for $400 after MIR, and adding in an OS with enough discount to make it $500? That Rosewill PSU may not be great and either is the mobo, but it will be enough to power that setup, and nothing is going to explode. Not to mention they COULD take a case/psu and mobo from another combo sale that is better. That's my whole point...similar combos have different mixes of parts but yet add in oddly choiced options (like some have $50 mobos while another with lesser parts has a $150 mobo...what?), so it's not whether they are all in excess stock.

OR for that matter, including better parts and higher cost but including a slightly higher discount like various combos DO have already. Taking a 260X or 750ti and packaging it with the i3 build and including a $75-100 discount like THIS would make perfect sense:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1189055

WHY does this have 16GB of RAM for $140, a $150 mobo, and a $90 2TB HDD when other similar total priced combos have 8GB RAM for $80, a $60 mobo, and a 1TB HDD for $60 but then have an odd PSU or case that adds $100 to the price? It would be easier to mix and match the combos to make more sense for the parts in each but ENTIRELY POSSIBLE TO GET A $75-100 discount combo deal, based on these price ranges.

why do you think they don't do a super PS4-killer combo deal then? Surely, it's not because they're just completely inept at system building.

Are you implying that they don't or won't do PS4 combo deals and when they do it will be because of excess stock? I know you used the PS4 and I used an Xbox One as an example, but the point is the same...MSFT isn't having trouble selling One's and doesn't have excess stock, but they are still doing a Titanfall bundle. Similar things will (or have) happened with the PS4.
---