This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to build a computer from scratch that will outperform PS4 @ $400?

#91That1GuyyPosted 3/3/2014 2:16:59 AM
Asking to build a computer that costs the same as a heavily subsidized prebuilt computer and outperforms it is unreasonable. The consoles are sold at a loss, giving the consoles a huge edge in price factor for the consumer.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#92arleasPosted 3/3/2014 2:32:13 AM
Don't tell me that guy is STILL going on about his PS4 killer? After seeing nothing but bad topics from him I put him on ignore and now I see people bringing up the terms "server CPU" and "Fire Hazard" again so it must be the same guy...

Anyway, Consoles are always going to be cheaper for the hardware than a PC because the PC software prices aren't jacked up with console licensing fees. After you've bought 20 games you've probably made up whatever Sony (or Microsoft, or Nintendo) lost on the hardware prices.

It's kinda like with Razors and how the handle is cheap but the razor cartridges (which are proprietary) are expensive*. They make their money off the part you're going to buy over and over, except with the way they mass produce these consoles you're going to buy that over and over again too (though hopefully by that time they'll have gone through some remodels to make it cheaper and more reliable).

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#93ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 3:46:41 AM
Oh, and I should have just corrected you earlier on this:

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Conker posted...
Yeah, parts going up makes it hard. Back before the mining craze you could get a 7870 for $130 and 7850's for $110 on sale or after MIR, and it included the AMD bundle when they still had more games available.

There were also some great holiday deals on processors with mobo combos. Microcenter had the best ones, but Newegg and Amazon also had some great prices.

RAM has stayed pretty close the same, but I'm sure there were some good deals to save a little bit.

It would be smart if Newegg would do a DIY full build deal at around $500 to compete with the new consoles and include Win 8. It'd be entirely possible since they usually discount those DIY sales by $75-100.

The problem is that discounts need to be relative. That's a ~20% discount for a DIY PC. Not out of the question, but you usually don't see deals that good.

$75-100 to make a build roughly $500 is actually a 13-17% discount, which you see everyday on Newegg's DIY supercombos. Not out of the question at all, because it's a regular thing. It IS usually you see deals that good, it's just finding the right combo to excel at gaming.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#94DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 9:09:49 AM
Conker posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Right, they have those discounts on stock that's hard to vent, high margin stock, ect. Not cheap low-margin budget parts. And then you went off about some i5 build as though it was relevant, and then threw a little tizzy.

How isn't an i5 build relevant? You're not making sense in context of what I said about the other combo sales. If one i5 combo is $600 after the discounts and includes certain items and a separate i3 build is $300 and lacks items such as a GPU, they could mix and match the items from both combos to make a more effective gaming combo for $500. THE ITEMS ARE ON SALE EITHER WAY just with different less enticing combos for effective builds, thus it could actually be more beneficial to both a gamer to have the better mix of parts.

Perfect example, first build is $302 after MIR but needs a GPU, then compare to the second which has everything but is $585. Both need an OS though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1322757

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1536860

So what would be so difficult about taking the GTX 650ti from the i5 build and putting it with the i3 build for $400 after MIR, and adding in an OS with enough discount to make it $500? That Rosewill PSU may not be great and either is the mobo, but it will be enough to power that setup, and nothing is going to explode. Not to mention they COULD take a case/psu and mobo from another combo sale that is better. That's my whole point...similar combos have different mixes of parts but yet add in oddly choiced options (like some have $50 mobos while another with lesser parts has a $150 mobo...what?), so it's not whether they are all in excess stock.

OR for that matter, including better parts and higher cost but including a slightly higher discount like various combos DO have already. Taking a 260X or 750ti and packaging it with the i3 build and including a $75-100 discount like THIS would make perfect sense:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1189055

WHY does this have 16GB of RAM for $140, a $150 mobo, and a $90 2TB HDD when other similar total priced combos have 8GB RAM for $80, a $60 mobo, and a 1TB HDD for $60 but then have an odd PSU or case that adds $100 to the price? It would be easier to mix and match the combos to make more sense for the parts in each but ENTIRELY POSSIBLE TO GET A $75-100 discount combo deal, based on these price ranges.

why do you think they don't do a super PS4-killer combo deal then? Surely, it's not because they're just completely inept at system building.

Are you implying that they don't or won't do PS4 combo deals and when they do it will be because of excess stock? I know you used the PS4 and I used an Xbox One as an example, but the point is the same...MSFT isn't having trouble selling One's and doesn't have excess stock, but they are still doing a Titanfall bundle. Similar things will (or have) happened with the PS4.

For the first build, they're getting rid of a Rosewill PSU, some overpriced memory, and an overpriced harddrive.
For the second, they're getting rid of a Raidmax PSU, an off-brand case, and the not-so-hot 650Ti low-margin.

Console combo deals are typically promotional for a new game, to encourage people to buy it at Newegg instead of elsewhere. In the cases where they aren't, yes, it's usually to get rid of some left over game stock.

why do you think they don't do a super PS4-killer combo deal then? Surely, it's not because they're just completely inept at system building.

---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#95DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 9:13:10 AM
That1Guyy posted...
Asking to build a computer that costs the same as a heavily subsidized prebuilt computer and outperforms it is unreasonable. The consoles are sold at a loss, giving the consoles a huge edge in price factor for the consumer.

Actually, due to TDP and form factor limitations, more expensive and weaker performing parts are used in newer consoles. That's one of the primary reasons that this next generation is as weak as it is.
The other is that PS3 was a horrible failure, and Sony and Microsoft finally clued in that the only way their broken subsidized business model can work is if there's only one of them.
---
#96ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 8:59:45 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
For the first build, they're getting rid of a Rosewill PSU, some overpriced memory, and an overpriced harddrive.
For the second, they're getting rid of a Raidmax PSU, an off-brand case, and the not-so-hot 650Ti

None of that has to do with why they can't sell off the parts in a more enticing combo with the same kinds of discounts. They do have the parts in combos I'm talking about. Also, those parts have already sold with individual promos, so needing a DIY combo is not necessary.

You're stuck on this "prove Conker wrong about excess inventory" when I'm not saying they aren't ever doing that. Of course they do, that doesn't mean anything in regards to putting together a gaming combo with those same excess parts.

Console combo deals are typically promotional for a new game, to encourage people to buy it at Newegg instead of elsewhere. In the cases where they aren't, yes, it's usually to get rid of some left over game stock.

There are plenty of DIY combos that are to promote buying new items and multiple products with a current manufacturer deal or other reason like packaging a new game, etc.

What are you trying to prove in relation to anything I've said?
---
#97DrelkagPosted 3/3/2014 11:00:27 PM
You'd have to spend another $200 or so to get as good or better than the PS4 OP, so no. Trying to cram something that does what a PS4 can and much more on equal price levels is just asking for disappointment.
---
Play hard or go home
#98DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/3/2014 11:37:21 PM
Conker posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
For the second, they're getting rid of a Raidmax PSU, an off-brand case, and the not-so-hot 650Ti

None of that has to do with why they can't sell off the parts in a more enticing combo with the same kinds of discounts. They do have the parts in combos I'm talking about. Also, those parts have already sold with individual promos, so needing a DIY combo is not necessary.

You're stuck on this "prove Conker wrong about excess inventory" when I'm not saying they aren't ever doing that. Of course they do, that doesn't mean anything in regards to putting together a gaming combo with those same excess parts.

There are plenty of DIY combos that are to promote buying new items and multiple products with a current manufacturer deal or other reason like packaging a new game, etc.

What are you trying to prove in relation to anything I've said?

Can you not read? The combo was to help vent unappealing or highly priced stock. By securing more sales via making it look like a better deal, they make more money in the long run.

I don't think I've actually seen any newegg combo deals for PC component promotions, actually. Just Shield and software+hardware combos. Not that that's even remotely relevant, but I guess you're trying to redirect the topic again?

You still haven't answered this question. I think you're the one stuck on the whole "win on the internet" thing. I explained why something that happens happens, and your response was that the explanation was wrong and there's no reason that it happens at all.
---
#99ConkerPosted 3/3/2014 11:49:47 PM
Whether the stock is to vent unappealing stock of utems doesn't matter when I'm talking about other combo parts. How do you not get this?

If there are two combos and one is cheaper without a GPU, take the GPU from the other combo and also put it with the cheaper one...voila, an appealing low-cost gaming combo.

You didn't explain why something happens. You asked me why I don't think they do PS4 deals...but the fact is, they do or will. You just have to argue the basis no matter what, even if someone doesn't say the why you make an assumption of the reason.

I'm not saying the WHY all the products are DIY combos, I'm saying they are so why does it matter why they are when they could offer better matches of the current combos?

Basically, A and B are on sale, if you took parts of A and B they'd make a better combo for C. Then here you are saying, "Well why isn't item D in a combo?" When all the other items are already in a combo, how is an item that isn't currently, even relevant?
---
#100DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/4/2014 11:06:15 AM
Conker posted...
Whether the stock is to vent unappealing stock of utems doesn't matter when I'm talking about other combo parts. How do you not get this?

If there are two combos and one is cheaper without a GPU, take the GPU from the other combo and also put it with the cheaper one...voila, an appealing low-cost gaming combo.

You didn't explain why something happens. You asked me why I don't think they do PS4 deals...but the fact is, they do or will. You just have to argue the basis no matter what, even if someone doesn't say the why you make an assumption of the reason.

I'm not saying the WHY all the products are DIY combos, I'm saying they are so why does it matter why they are when they could offer better matches of the current combos?

Basically, A and B are on sale, if you took parts of A and B they'd make a better combo for C. Then here you are saying, "Well why isn't item D in a combo?" When all the other items are already in a combo, how is an item that isn't currently, even relevant?

Of course it does. That's why the combo exists. Pack unappealing items with popular items to secure more sales.

I didn't ever ask about PS4 deals. I asked why you think they don't do a PS4-killer combo deal. You just ignored it and started rambling about console bundles.

I'm saying why isn't combo C up there as a thing, and giving a rational common-sense explanation while you plug (eyes?) and say the reason is wrong.
---