This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows XP service pack 3 won't install

#31jernasPosted 3/3/2014 12:46:12 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#32SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 1:08:46 PM(edited)
Rexdragon125 posted...
You're still not making sense. People will reverse engineer security updates for newer versions of Windows to see what changed and see if the vulnerabilities apply to XP. It will be easier than ever to exploit it.

But they don't do that.
They don't bother, why target that last 5% using XP when you can target the 95% using windows 7/8?
That's security through obscurity, your such a small target that no one cares anymore.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#33PsythikPosted 3/3/2014 1:12:11 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...
You're still not making sense. People will reverse engineer security updates for newer versions of Windows to see what changed and see if the vulnerabilities apply to XP. It will be easier than ever to exploit it.

But they don't do that.
They don't bother, why target that last 5% using XP when you can target the 95% using windows 7/8?
That's security through obscurity, your such a small target that no one cares anymore.
5%? More like 15-20%: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

There is still plenty of reasons for them to target XP, even more so come April.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#34SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 1:16:46 PM
Psythik posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...

But they don't do that.
5%? More like 15-20%: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

There is still plenty of reasons for them to target XP, even more so come April.

And that will drop every year. There won't be significant targets anymore on XP.
Businesses may continue to use it but they are protected by internal controls.

How many Windows 98 exploits do you see? 98 is still widely used in businesses with legacy software.

Just read the link I provided on security through obscurity.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#35Worknofun370Posted 3/3/2014 1:21:48 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...

But they don't do that.

I think you're generalizing a bit too much.

Yes, the majority of viruses writers and "crackers" will not be going after XP, nor will they be trying to see if new exploits can affect XP machines.

Some will... and that's all that matters. There are people still verifying exploits against OSes that are older than XP, so I don't see any reason to believe they won't be doing the same for XP once it hits EoL.
#36SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 1:24:17 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...

But they don't do that.

I think you're generalizing a bit too much.

Yes, the majority of viruses writers and "crackers" will not be going after XP, nor will they be trying to see if new exploits can affect XP machines.

Some will... and that's all that matters. There are people still verifying exploits against OSes that are older than XP, so I don't see any reason to believe they won't be doing the same for XP once it hits EoL.

That's like saying 1 person making 1 virus instead of 100,000 people making 100,000 viruses.
Yes there are still viruses, but it becomes statistically insignificant.
And virus scanners will continue to support XP for a very long time.
---
#37Worknofun370Posted 3/3/2014 1:31:42 PM
SinisterSlay posted...

That's like saying 1 person making 1 virus instead of 100,000 people making 100,000 viruses.

I was simply pointing out the claim you were making was incorrect. People will try to see if patched vulnerabilities in newer version of windows are vulnerable in XP, and people will try to exploit them.

Security through obscurity only goes so far.
#38SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 1:34:51 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

I was simply pointing out the claim you were making was incorrect. People will try to see if patched vulnerabilities in newer version of windows are vulnerable in XP, and people will try to exploit them.

Yes it's still insecure. But my original argument was that the swiss cheese OS XP was always insecure, no amount of patches will fix that. Each new vulnerability is just pissing into an ocean of piss.
Microsoft has just decided to stop bothering to use turkey basters to try and drain some of the ocean.
---
#39NingishzidaPosted 3/3/2014 5:00:24 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes it's still insecure. But my original argument was that the swiss cheese OS XP was always insecure, no amount of patches will fix that. Each new vulnerability is just pissing into an ocean of piss.
Microsoft has just decided to stop bothering to use turkey basters to try and drain some of the ocean.

Good to read common sense posts from someone who wasn't born yesterday.