This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Mass Effect start to speed up soon? It's kind of getting boring atm

#21Born LuckyPosted 3/3/2014 7:23:05 AM(edited)
SlashmanSG posted...
wizardmon posted...
I really wish the later games could have focused a lot more on you know, doing important things like investigating the reaver threat, confronting reaver forces and unraveling the mysteries of the ancient species. rather than collecting/destroying a ship that I still don't see how it was even important to the trilogies ending at all, or chasing after some sort of ghost child thingy which I didn't bother to understand since I disagreed with that storyline element.

Ok, first of all, REAPER. Say it with me now. "Reaper".

Secondly, "I really wish the later games could have focused a lot more on you know, doing important things like investigating the reaver threat, confronting reaver forces and unraveling the mysteries of the ancient species." What do you think fighting the Collectors was doing?

"I didn't bother to understand"
Clearly.

The game sucked (3), the storyline was stupid, and I can't even look at Thepard anymore.

Mass Effect 1 was mediocre. The trilogy goes downhill from there.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#22biohazard1775Posted 3/3/2014 10:55:34 AM
GalaxyNexus posted...
ME1 and I am at the citadel I think. It's right after the council meeting with all the aliens and stuff. I think this like several hours in? Does the story and gameplay change? Is it worth trudging along?

Several hours in at the first council meeting? What are you smoking?
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png
#23thelocalhentaiPosted 3/3/2014 11:01:36 AM(edited)
Panner posted...
When i first started playing the game when it was released on the 360 i tried 4 times to like it, but gave up due to shear boredom on the very first planet.
I tried again a fifth time and actually made myself play past it, then past the first time you go to the citadel. God i was so bored with it, but i wanted to like it.

Then all of a sudden the story and gameplay got good, VERY good. So good that by the end Mass Effect i took a day off work to finish it and was jumping up and down on my sofa with excitement at the ending.

That's actually a true story too.

Same boat as this guy. Couldn't get myself to like it, felt really slow, put the game away for about a year. Played it after going through a run on KOTOR and once the intro was done, the game became one of my favorites.

Also, the ending to the trilogy is crap but that's not the point of any story, it is the journey.
#24Hi CPosted 3/3/2014 11:03:54 AM(edited)
Jprime666 posted...
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Mass Effect 2 is terrible. It's nothing but filler.

I think it's the best of the 3. But yes it's almost entirely irrelevant to the plot as a whole. It mostly existed to set-up things that would somehow become plotholes in Mass Effect 3.

It existed as a cash in to quickly make money in a short turn around from ME1's popularity, integrity and cohesion be damned, just like Dragon Age 2 was in its series.

No reason to play anything other than the first game in either series.
---
You'll be my John G.
#25GynthaeresPosted 3/3/2014 11:15:55 AM
What's with all the people complaining about a section with lots of talking in an RPG? The Citadel was a fine part of the game. If you get bored talking to people, perhaps you should go play Gears of War or something. A pure shooter, not an RPG with shooting-based combat.

ShadowThaReaper posted...
Mass Effect 2 is terrible. It's nothing but filler.

I'd say Mass Effect 2's gameplay is fine. And an improvement over ME1's in a lot of ways.
The story is filler, that's true, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It's just not super relevant to the overall plot of the trilogy.

Jprime666 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
wizardmon posted...
I heard that they changed the ending of Mass Effect 3,

They didn't... they just elaborated a bit more on what happened to everyone while taking into account a few more of your decisions... The terrible plot piece remains. I mean it just came out of nowhere and has no plausible context. I understand the location and how that could have fit with a decent ending but the pick a color ending that changes nothing is a waste of everyone's time. Not giving you an option would be a hell of a lot better and probably wouldn't have had the same blowback from the fans. We all knew this was the last game with Shepard but they not only destroyed him, but pretty much the entire universe they created in one fell swoop.

This.

It went from being short and stupid, to longer and slightly stupider. While I think all the fuss over-exaggerated how bad it was, it's still among the worst endings to a story driven game/series that I've ever seen. I can't think of a worse one of the top of my head, but if I did some thinking I could maybe come up with a couple worse.

And yep, this. The Extended Cut DLC for ME3 was little more than a couple bandages over a gaping wound. It did solve a few problems (What happened to your squad? Was your entire crew stranded on that planet? Is the entire ME universe destroyed now?).
But the core issues with the ending -- that is, the color-coded ending choice that didn't care about your previous decisions, and that stupid deus ex machina that you had to side with if you wanted to "win" -- those still remained.

Also, yes, I'm actually a bit bitter that even if you did everything absolutely right, you still couldn't get a proper, "happy" ending. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't done in such a stupid way though.

I think the worst part about thinking of the upcoming ME4, for me... it's either going to have to pick one of those god-awful endings and make that canon. Or it's going to be set a few years before Mass Effect (since there's no way they'd make a game that doesn't have humans in it), and thus your character, lore-wise, will still be subjected to the abomination that was ME3's story.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#26SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 11:19:43 AM
Gynthaeres posted...
What's with all the people complaining about a section with lots of talking in an RPG? The Citadel was a fine part of the game. If you get bored talking to people, perhaps you should go play Gears of War or something. A pure shooter, not an RPG with shooting-based combat.

Because it dragged on. It took way to long to get anywhere and do anything. I love RPG's and I love a good town, but sometimes they overstay their welcome.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27AsucaHayashiPosted 3/3/2014 11:24:10 AM
It took way to long to get anywhere and do anything. I love RPG's and I love a good town, but sometimes they overstay their welcome.

not when they're done right... i loved the fact that FF12 had incredibly huge towns with their own sections reminiscent of MMOs which were just begging for exploration and interaction.

then again 12 was heavily disliked so maybe i'm in the minority.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#28SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 11:30:47 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
It took way to long to get anywhere and do anything. I love RPG's and I love a good town, but sometimes they overstay their welcome.

not when they're done right... i loved the fact that FF12 had incredibly huge towns with their own sections reminiscent of MMOs which were just begging for exploration and interaction.

then again 12 was heavily disliked so maybe i'm in the minority.

I actually hated 12, one of the reasons was that.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#29pothocketPosted 3/3/2014 11:39:37 AM
Skip the first game and move onto the second. The first game barely even functions as a playable game. It's a mess.
#30DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/3/2014 11:48:14 AM
The only problem I had with the citadel in ME1 was the horrible travel pace and load screens. It made moving around such a chore. Give us a turbo button for traveling or something similar. Walking around was so slow and to get from the night club to the armory just took way longer than is 'fun', even with the taxi like system.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1