This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about aim assist in PC FPS?

#51Orestes417Posted 3/3/2014 1:36:48 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
So long as the rules are the same for everyone

uh isn't this exactly what's not happening with titanfall?

You think using different input devices is the same? I understand that most of you would rather just not allow controller users, but those that are saying that they are allowed but shouldn't have autoaim clearly just want fodder to shoot. Giving a controller user a little bit of help to become even slightly competitive isn't giving them a 'cheat'.

Depends on the implementation but I agree in principle. The effect is generally no worse than allowing custom mice and keyboards.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#52XImperialDragonPosted 3/3/2014 1:52:36 PM
Playing with a controller is practically an automatic handicap, and quite frankly, if the aim assist is that high to where someone can beat me due to it then there was already a problem with how I was playing.

I've played the Infinity Ward Call of Duty games... there are plenty more reasons to die than marginal aim assist on a different control method that's generally handicapped.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#53AsucaHayashiPosted 3/3/2014 1:57:11 PM
You think using different input devices is the same?

no but using artificial gameplay implementations basically guarantees that the rules are not the same.

people can choose whatever they want to play with to the best of their ability which inludes both the player as well as the device.
however, having a 3rd factor independent of the previous two in order to artificially inflate that ability is not following the rules in the slightest regardless of how miniscule or marginal it ends up being.

referring to my previous example then macros should be allowed for pad players in fighting games and why stop there?
might as well have stick players drop down their hp to 80-90% every time they go up against a pad player in order to make it "fair" since the feature is part of the game anyways.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#54jake-sfPosted 3/3/2014 2:05:33 PM
DV8ingSources posted...

Why are you comparing this to an athletic competition? Do you really think that the games that include such options are designed to be the paradigms of competitive gaming? Give me a break. These are games, meant to be played for fun and adding in aim assist for controller users won't really change that for MK users.

Should all games have this option? Of course not. I'd cry foul as well if say, CS, had the option. The games that do offer this option aren't just tests of dexterity and accuracy but map knowledge, pattern recognition and other executions. Deciding whether the high ground vs the low ground is just as important as precise aiming. Some people have all the other skills to be successful aside from the twitch aiming with a mouse... Games with autoaim for controller users allows the games to appeal to these players as well.

Ideally as I mentioned earlier, the option to limit a servers option would satisfy everyone. Saying something shouldn't exist because you don't like it is just sad though.

Its a multiplayer PvP game.

If the competitive side (casual or not) has no relevance, then the game has no basis for existing.

I have no idea what you can't grasp here. Competition doesn't have to be super serious for the need of it to be fair.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#55DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/3/2014 2:10:00 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
You think using different input devices is the same?

no but using artificial gameplay implementations basically guarantees that the rules are not the same.

people can choose whatever they want to play with to the best of their ability which inludes both the player as well as the device.
however, having a 3rd factor independent of the previous two in order to artificially inflate that ability is not following the rules in the slightest regardless of how miniscule or marginal it ends up being.

referring to my previous example then macros should be allowed for pad players in fighting games and why stop there?
might as well have stick players drop down their hp to 80-90% every time they go up against a pad player in order to make it "fair" since the feature is part of the game anyways.

Would people please stop comparing genres like they were apple to apple comparisons? Fighters have timing and execution, generally on a 2d plane... Taking away half the equation to help is destroying the point of the game. Giving a slight aim enhancement to an inaccurate device is nowhere near the same. Go grab a controller, play some COD and see just how much it actually helps... Its not a freebie kill system. All it does it help with the more fine control that a mouse already inherently has.

End of the day, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm sure most of you purists aren't even interested in any games that have the implementation.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#56TeraPatrick2008Posted 3/3/2014 2:13:18 PM
It doesn't matter what I feel.
#57DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/3/2014 2:14:09 PM
jake-sf posted...
Competition doesn't have to be super serious for the need of it to be fair.

Exactly the point. Its giving controller users a boost to MAKE IT MORE FAIR. What are YOU not grasping? A controller is a weaker aiming device. Aim assist allows the finer control needed to be helped a little. Of course its implementation needs to be fair. Of course it can't be overpowered to the point of aimbot status. It's not unfair to bring a physical handicap up to competitive levels. If it does get abused by mouse users, then yes THOSE people are cheating.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
#58AsucaHayashiPosted 3/3/2014 2:28:47 PM(edited)
Would people please stop comparing genres like they were apple to apple comparisons?

so basically giving help to users of a specific control device in one genre =/= giving help to users of a specific control device in another genre.

Its giving controller users a boost to MAKE IT MORE FAIR. What are YOU not grasping? A controller is a weaker aiming device.

It's not unfair to bring a physical handicap up to competitive levels

funny... because a controller in fighters is a weaker execution device both due to less fluid movement as well as button placement which effectively means that pad users actually need more help in order to play on par with stick fighters.

but of course, since the genres are "so" different that a comparison "just" can't be made then i guess it doesn't matter...
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#59DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/3/2014 2:46:15 PM(edited)
AsucaHayashi posted...
funny... because a controller in fighters is a weaker execution device both due to less fluid movement as well as button placement which effectively means that pad users actually need more help in order to play on par with stick fighters.

Except it isn't inherently so. A fighter needs only digital input. A keyboard user could be just as good as a stick user in theory. The same cannot be said for an analog stick vs mouse.

The fact that you don't see how your comparison doesn't work is a little disappointing. Sure a fight stick is nice and more comfortable than a keyboard but it has the exact same functionality. Digital inputs. Macro's in a fighting game is cheating. A little aim assist for ONLY controller users is not. The aim assist is not a win button like a 30+ input macro could be.

edit: When I'm vouching for a little aim assist, I'm not doing so from a form factor or comfort standpoint in regards to the input device. I'm doing so because the technologies used are completely different from one another. Mouse is a 1 to 1 technology. You move your hand and the cursor moves in a predictable manner. An analog stick is an additive technology. You hold a little and you keep turning. Hold a little more and you turn faster. There isn't anywhere near the same predictability to any one movement.

What you are comparing is form factor when you are bringing up fighters and their peripherals. Thats personal preference and not an advantage because one person may or may not like what the next has. Even fight sticks range quite a lot in feel and layout.

Macro's are straight up cheats in any game.
---
#60Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 3/3/2014 2:42:51 PM
The pinpoint accuracy and quickness of a mouse is PC's aim assist... even more "cheaty" than an auto aim in it's own way. That's how I've always seen it anyways... in real life we don't get in quite as many multiple head shot kill streaks quite so easily. Not that I care anything about this game, but whatever. You all will admit controllers are still at a disadvantage with said "cheats", so where does that put ol' trusty point-n-click on the imaginary scale of what's fair and balanced? Seems to be quite a double standard to me.

Not that I'm a fan of overly automated aim assist either, just saying... there's nothing to get your panties in a twist over on this subject.