This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about aim assist in PC FPS?

#71PharohofLaptopsPosted 3/3/2014 5:09:12 PM
scrubs
#72pothocketPosted 3/3/2014 5:19:24 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
pothocket posted...
Every professional sport ever has placed limitations on what equipment is legal.

And none have imposed different rules based on the equipment chosen.

Hence a level playing field, not 'handicapping' the players.

Again, that's not what 'level playing field' means. It is, however, exactly what handicapping means:

hand·i·cap:
a race or contest in which an artificial advantage is given or disadvantage imposed on a contestant to equalize chances of winning

Sorry, I guess it was implied but I was agreeing that only controllers should be used. Standard equipment for all payers. No different sets of rules for different players.
#73nIMr0D888Posted 3/3/2014 5:30:28 PM
I am completely fine for any PC FPS game to implement aim assist for controller users; the more people playing the better.

A controller is already such a massive disadvantage that even adding aim assist is not going to bring it anywhere near the level of a KB/M setup.

Also: pretty much everyone in this thread except DV8 is wrong, and needs to get off their damn high horse.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#74DaedalusEx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 5:41:04 PM
pothocket posted...
Sorry, I guess it was implied but I was agreeing that only controllers should be used. Standard equipment for all payers. No different sets of rules for different players.

Standard equipment is fine, but why would controllers be the standard equipment for a PC game? Especially a high-precision genre like FPS?
#75DiviDudePosted 3/3/2014 5:43:54 PM(edited)
nIMr0D888 posted...
I am completely fine for any PC FPS game to implement aim assist for controller users; the more people playing the better.

A controller is already such a massive disadvantage that even adding aim assist is not going to bring it anywhere near the level of a KB/M setup.

Also: pretty much everyone in this thread except DV8 is wrong, and needs to get off their damn high horse.

I don't see how "players choosing to use inferior equipment should not be assisted" qualifies as a high horse, exactly. Because that's what it boils down to, really. The right tool for the right job, and all that.
#76DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/3/2014 5:56:21 PM
DiviDude posted...
nIMr0D888 posted...

I don't see how "players choosing to use inferior equipment should not be assisted" qualifies as a high horse, exactly. Because that's what it boils down to, really. The right tool for the right job, and all that.

The only reason I'm okay with it is because the controller IS standard equipment for a LOT of players. Giving a way for a console gamer to come over to the pc is something I'm interested in as a member of the pc community. Sure all the trolls will cry casuals and such but having a larger community is a great thing for all mp games. If it takes having a few more options and dialing in a few more settings 'just right' on the developers side to make it work, so be it.

Again, not all games deserve this treatment and there is a good argument to be made about segregating the input control userbases but I don't think the games mentioned in this topic need to worry about it.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#77killkountPosted 3/3/2014 6:17:05 PM
More proof that Titanfall is just another CoD
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#78Kokuei05Posted 3/3/2014 6:42:53 PM
Sir_Meowcat_Esq posted...
The pinpoint accuracy and quickness of a mouse is PC's aim assist... even more "cheaty" than an auto aim in it's own way. That's how I've always seen it anyways... in real life we don't get in quite as many multiple head shot kill streaks quite so easily. Not that I care anything about this game, but whatever. You all will admit controllers are still at a disadvantage with said "cheats", so where does that put ol' trusty point-n-click on the imaginary scale of what's fair and balanced? Seems to be quite a double standard to me.

Not that I'm a fan of overly automated aim assist either, just saying... there's nothing to get your panties in a twist over on this subject.

Rofl. It's fair and balanced cause everyone has the same means of control. It's stupid to compare this to "real life".
---
Xeon x3220 @ 3.3Ghz [367*9] | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-EP45-UD3L | Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800 | EA-430W | 1GB 560 AC Twin Turbo II | WD 500 GB | AL1916W | G400s | HTF600-S
#79-5xad0w-Posted 3/3/2014 8:14:45 PM
I don't think any kind of aim assists belongs in PC shooters.

It's a controller mechanic. (i've got nothing against controllers, have one less than a foot away plugged into my rig right now)

I like the way this guy from Uber explained it in terms of a time cost to get on target in regards to a mouse vs. a controller:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2011/01/24

Starts on the 3rd paragraph.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#80my_name_is_EdPosted 3/3/2014 8:29:14 PM(edited)
Rails646 posted...
This is really silly, after all, in real life we don't have some magical force that moves our arms in a way to assist our aiming a weapon.

Well, if you ask any religious nut from the military from any country (U.S. especially) they'll tell you God guides them and their weapons to kill the enemy..
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png