This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are so many young people today still so ignorant when it comes to properly..

#1Synbios459Posted 3/3/2014 5:51:49 AM
Protecting their PCs? I'm 28 and the "PC guy" that everyone loves to come to when their computer has a problem or they don't know how to do something. And while I will give a break to older folks, it completely baffles me how so many people my age and even younger are COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to how to properly protect their PC and understanding the dangers that can come if you don't know what you are doing. Yet they do know how to do everything else from browsing the web, downloading apps/games/movies, installing games/mods etc.

For example: Recently a friend of mine asked me to help him fix his friends comp that he just bought which was an ASUS machine that was having trouble with. It had W8 and, spec-wise was pretty decent but along with the usual bloat ware crap that comes on it, he had installed 3 different anti-virus' with the thinking "Well if you have lots of anti virus programs shouldn't that do a good job of protecting it?". Not only that but he had crap like web root and other stuff I could tell he got from just clicking "Next, next" which you'd think someone in their 20s nowadays would realize is a bad thing to do (even programs from a reputable site can sneak in a stupid toolbar or something) so I uninstalled his anti virus programs except for Windows Defender. I also told him to make sure to keep your Windows Updates updated (which I had to explain to him, yet I have found even when I do explain to people they rarely do), I installed malware byes, and spybot and showed him how to keep them updated and to scan every week or so (of course, just like with windows updates they rarely do) and about malware/adware in general which was causing lots of annoying pop ups and slowing his computer.

I cleaned it up the best I could but some programs just would not uninstall, but I did get it running much better anywhoo.

I know some may think this is trviial but as one who always ends up being asked to fix others peoples messes because they don't know a thing about how to properly protect their PCs it really bugs me, and I usually squirm if I ever have to use someone else's comp/laptop because they have, so often, half a dozen toolbars installed, along with lots of other spyware/adware crap to deal with making it run a lot slower than it should etc. etc.

But why is this? How is it that so many 20-somethings in the 21st century can work their way around a comp easily but when it comes to protecting it they're often just as clueless as someone in their 60s (and I know someone in their 60s that DOES a good job of keeping their computer protected lol)?
---
White 2 FC: 0863-1151-3669
#2SlaynPosted 3/3/2014 5:52:50 AM
tl;dr
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#3MaxCHEATER64Posted 3/3/2014 5:54:39 AM
Because W8, Mac, etc. made them feel like they didn't need to know how.
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#4Termin8rPosted 3/3/2014 5:55:21 AM
Slayn posted...
tl;dr

I have a feeling you would have found this video response more appropriate instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgflscOmW8
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif
#5SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 5:55:22 AM
New spybot is terrible. Uninstall that crap.

For users that like to install stuff. I give them sandboxie and set their browser's to always use it and teach them how to use it.
They are usually very happy that they can fix their problems on their own by just deleting the sandbox.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Fear The ClownPosted 3/3/2014 6:12:56 AM
I agree to an extent with a lot of what you said but I'm not quite so bitter about it.

The best thing for you to do in this situation is stop being everyone's pc guy, that's what I had to do a few years back though I've turned 180 and come to embrace it.

By the way web root is currently one of the most reputable anti virus companies and by far one of the best paid antivirus programs currently.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#7Benjamin_ButtonPosted 3/3/2014 6:13:34 AM
>"PC guy"
>installs Spybot

lol
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#8Synbios459(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 6:20:00 AM
Is the new spybot really that bad? I haven't had any issues with it and it caught quite a bit of stuff that malwarebytes didn't.
---
White 2 FC: 0863-1151-3669
#9Fade2black001Posted 3/3/2014 6:28:50 AM
I don't use any virus software aside of malware bytes if I suspect something. I have no AV software running 24-7 on my system. I have been fine for about 2 years now. You just have know what not to click on and install.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#10Hanlo_is_backPosted 3/3/2014 6:32:09 AM
I hate being the "PC guy". People come to me every time their computer does anything slightly out of the ordinary (something usually fixed with a simple restart). When I can't tell them what it was or why it happened, they're like "dude, I thought you were a computer guy, wtf".

And then anything weird their computer does for the next couple of weeks is automatically my fault, as if by looking through various windows settings, I somehow pressed the "screw everything up" option by mistake.

/blogfaqs
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum