This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are so many young people today still so ignorant when it comes to properly..

#11SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 7:44:18 AM(edited)
Synbios459 posted...
Is the new spybot really that bad? I haven't had any issues with it and it caught quite a bit of stuff that malwarebytes didn't.

Doesn't have teatimer, gets huge amounts of false positives, uses more memory, has an even worse interface, possible the worst interface imaginable, randomly spawns the update and scan dialogs for no reason minimizing your game.

What has spybot caught that malwarebytes didn't catch? Are you sure they weren't false positives?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12MithrilMonarchPosted 3/3/2014 7:47:33 AM
I'm 17 and I'd say my computer is well protected, but it comes from years of experience with them. I've been using computers since I was about 5 years old.
---
Genwunners are the reason why the Pokemon series is declining.
#13Pawkie07Posted 3/3/2014 8:00:32 AM
Termin8r posted...
Slayn posted...
tl;dr

I have a feeling you would have found this video response more appropriate instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgflscOmW8
#14DarthZeldaPosted 3/3/2014 8:05:21 AM
Because most people have zero clue about computers except how to turn them on and get to Facebook. I was in the same boat until I started charging people to fix their computers because it was becoming too much.
---
This sentence is false. The previous sentence is true.
#15R_BrockPosted 3/3/2014 8:08:49 AM
Protecting their PCs? I'm 28 and the "PC guy" that everyone loves to come to when their computer has a problem or they don't know how to do something. And while I will give a break to older folks, it completely baffles me how so many people my age and even younger are COMPLETELY clueless when it comes to how to properly protect their PC and understanding the dangers that can come if you don't know what you are doing. Yet they do know how to do everything else from browsing the web, downloading apps/games/movies, installing games/mods etc.

Because my self-centered friend not everyone cares to deal with it. Why are there so many oil change places when changing your oil is easy, and everyone should know how to do it after 100 years of automobiles?

A lot of people just want to use their technology and not have to worry about it. And mostly they can. The PC being such an open platform leaves people vulnerable in a way they're not when it comes to their xboxes, iphones, TV's or tablets.

And I'm sorry to say but owning and using a PC isn't a privilege, so there's no obligation to become an expert about such things or anything. Those people accept that their PC is going to get mangled. They'll either have to get a new one, pay someone to fix the mangled one, or just deal with the mess they have.

For every single thing you don't like to do or don't care to do, there's someone wondering why people like you exist when whatever thing is so easy to do and so helpful and useful that only idiots would refuse to learn or do.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.
#16R_BrockPosted 3/3/2014 8:17:28 AM
If being a PC Guy is too annoying for you, then stop. I was in that boat too. And like a lot of young guys I was learning and wanted to use what I learned and be helpful and people think you're great. But it gets to be a burden. And unless it's your Mom and/or they're paying you really well, they're just using you. As a full time application developer now I don't really have the time or interest to do it. So I just shut people down. I say I haven't been keeping up with that facet of computers anymore, which is true.

Really the whole level 1 tech support crap that you're fussing about is so inane and boring only a few people are really knowledgeable about it compared to the whole PC community.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.
#17SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 8:22:01 AM
R_Brock posted...
If being a PC Guy is too annoying for you, then stop. I was in that boat too. And like a lot of young guys I was learning and wanted to use what I learned and be helpful and people think you're great. But it gets to be a burden. And unless it's your Mom and/or they're paying you really well, they're just using you. As a full time application developer now I don't really have the time or interest to do it. So I just shut people down. I say I haven't been keeping up with that facet of computers anymore, which is true.

Really the whole level 1 tech support crap that you're fussing about is so inane and boring only a few people are really knowledgeable about it compared to the whole PC community.

It used to happen a lot to me until I made them start figuring it out themselves. They either gave up, or figured it out.

Then never ask them how
https://xkcd.com/627/
Leads to
http://xkcd.com/763/
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18mooreandrew58Posted 3/3/2014 8:25:35 AM
I can't say I know how to fix the problems, but I atleast seem to do a good job of avoiding said problems. the most computer savvy person I knew was my grandfather who was in his late 60s. but hes the type he reads the manual from front to back for everything he buys. and when it came to computers he even went out and bough a bunch of books teaching one how to operate computers in just about any way you could want to. also the only person i've met that knows how to use ms dos.

but more on topic my guess would be, because it would require people in our generation to learn things they aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn. They just want to jump on the computer and have fun
#19CelesEsperIce3Posted 3/3/2014 8:26:00 AM
Lots of people know how to use a car too, but it doesn't mean they know how to keep it running smooth. Ignorance is an intentional deliberate plot, and its only going to get worse in the coming years
---
Yes, I'm sexist, racist, and homophobic, but I'm more tolerant than you.
#20Bossdog421Posted 3/3/2014 8:28:55 AM
Not everyone knows a lot about PCs. Age means nothing.

A commercial comes to mind, think it's for fios. They show people passing by 2 identical looking PCs and tell them this one downloads a movie in 5 minutes, and that the other one does it in 30 seconds then they ask which PC is better. Everyone picks the one that does it in 30 seconds, they then reveal that they are the same computer with different internet service.

Far more people know nothing about computers, and most of those people could care less to learn more. The same can be said about anything really... sports, crafting, leisure activities, etc. Not everyone has the same interests.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll