This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are so many young people today still so ignorant when it comes to properly..

#41R_BrockPosted 3/3/2014 1:51:52 PM
Another issue I forgot about. Is that some of these people's PC's are community property or otherwise shared between multiple people. Friends come over and use them, it's a family PC, all sorts of things.

One person, even someone who is not an expert, might be able to keep things alright. But several people, using the same computer is an inevitable disaster. You're only as safe as the dumbest user. I recall one instance about 12 years ago, where my system was well protected. I was the sole user. I fixed of a friend's family PC and set it up the same, maybe even a little tighter because I knew it was a community PC. A month later it was in shambles.

15 years ago when I shared with my sister, same thing. I would come home from work and there'd be weird behaviors and new random software running amok. She didn't know anything about it, of course.

And this is one reason why corporate networks are locked down so tight. Your entire network is only as safe as the dumbest user.

And lots of people might have safe habits and some protections. But they aren't capable enough to clean up the messes other users make.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.
#42JKatarnPosted 3/3/2014 2:27:08 PM
I don't understand it either, but then again, look at all the people who know how to operate a car/negotiate traffic etc. but have a very limited understanding of how their car works/how to personally maintain it. Then there's the fact that the public at large aren't terribly bright in general.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#43JKatarnPosted 3/3/2014 2:53:20 PM
Synbios459 posted...
Is the new spybot really that bad? I haven't had any issues with it and it caught quite a bit of stuff that malwarebytes didn't.

Apparently anything that anyone has EVER had any minor issue with/doesn't meet their every criterion is "terrible". This is known as the "GameFAQs Doctrine".
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#44DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/3/2014 2:54:40 PM
JKatarn posted...
Then there's the fact that the public at large aren't terribly bright in general.

We can save everyone
We have the technology
So many new rules to keep the dumb dumbs around :P
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#45JKatarnPosted 3/3/2014 3:04:05 PM
zerodefect posted...
Synbios459 posted...
I cleaned it up the best I could but some programs just would not uninstall, but I did get it running much better anywhoo.

Rips on people for not knowing how to use a computer, but doesn't know how to uninstall software. You should be ashamed of yourself, "PC guy".

OP doesn't know the difference between standard software and malware/viruses that can become entrenched in a system, reveals his ignorance.
---
#46Synbios459(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 3:31:17 PM
JKatarn posted...
zerodefect posted...
Synbios459 posted...
I cleaned it up the best I could but some programs just would not uninstall, but I did get it running much better anywhoo.

Rips on people for not knowing how to use a computer, but doesn't know how to uninstall software. You should be ashamed of yourself, "PC guy".

OP doesn't know the difference between standard software and malware/viruses that can become entrenched in a system, reveals his ignorance.

What do you mean? On a few programs when I tried to uninstall it did the annoying go to the webpage and pay to have it uninstall crap or would just bring up a blank web page.

Also, for the one that suggested Norton/Kaspersky/Bitdefender/etc.I thought they were bad programs to have? At least they were awhile back.
---
White 2 FC: 0863-1151-3669
#47MaxCHEATER64Posted 3/3/2014 3:43:26 PM
Synbios459 posted...
go to the webpage and pay to have it uninstall

That fact that you didn't immediately identify those programs as viruses tells me you don't know what you're talking about.
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#48Treason686Posted 3/3/2014 3:56:51 PM(edited)
justchill433 posted...
IT people are basically expert google searchers.

lolno

Where do you think that information you searched for came from? This... I don't even...
---
I <3 segfault
#49Fear The ClownPosted 3/3/2014 4:05:31 PM
Synbios459 posted...
JKatarn posted...
zerodefect posted...
Synbios459 posted...

What do you mean? On a few programs when I tried to uninstall it did the annoying go to the webpage and pay to have it uninstall crap or would just bring up a blank web page.

Also, for the one that suggested Norton/Kaspersky/Bitdefender/etc.I thought they were bad programs to have? At least they were awhile back.

They pretty much have all taken strides to reduce the amount of resources they hog to run so they are improved. I would highly recommend WebRoot over those though. If you're determined to have a paid antivirus its the way to go.

Any computer work I do 'on the side' though I just install Avast and setup full scan scheduling weekly and let the user know when that is, typically overnight on a Sunday seems to work for most.

Its also a good idea to defrag any machine you're working on, chances are good that that has never happened and set it up on a schedule as well.

It sounds like you've got potential as you're interested in doing this atleast to the point that you have offered your services so people come to you. But you're doing it as a hobby so you really haven't taken your knowledge to the next level, kind of like the difference between someone who street races on weekends and someone who actually races cars on a track for a living.

I do recommend if you don't want to be taken advantage of them put a dollar amount as a trade for your favor. If I don't know you, or you're a relative of a friend, or a friend I don't see a lot then you're looking at a flat $50 to get your PC back to nearly new condition. If I owe you a favor or I know I'll need a favor soon then its free. Yea it sucks to do people you know like that but knowing how to work on PCs is similar to knowing how to work on cars, I'm pretty sure we've almost all at one point known the guy who spent all of his free time working on other people's cars for free, well I'm not that guy.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#50Synbios459(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 4:26:45 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Synbios459 posted...
go to the webpage and pay to have it uninstall

That fact that you didn't immediately identify those programs as viruses tells me you don't know what you're talking about.

Of course I knew they were virus' but to get rid of them would pretty much require a format and re-installation of Windows.
---
White 2 FC: 0863-1151-3669