This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microphone too quiet

#1MaxCHEATER64Posted 3/3/2014 7:13:54 AM
So I recently bought this headset.
Nothing seems to be working properly.

First it simply didn't pick it up at all, but after hitting my computer's jack a bit it seemed to work.
It was extremely quiet at first. I installed my mobo's sound drivers which gave me that boost slider in the control panel, but even at +30 DB and maximum sound volumes I can only hear my recorded voice if I turn my speakers up to the very maximum volume and sit really close to them.

Most games don't recognize that they're plugged in (although Windows does).

What gives? Is this a simple fix, or common, or what?

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#2datopgamerPosted 3/3/2014 4:29:11 PM
Probably a bad set.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
#3KillerTrufflePosted 3/3/2014 4:49:20 PM
What mic is it? I presume it's analog?

If you had to physically hit your computer to get it working at all, it sounds like you might have a bad jack.

Also, the slider you're talking about is probably for mic gain, not boost. Most drivers will have an alternative "Mic Boost" checkbox you have to check in order for unpowered analog mics to give you anything close to usable volume.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 4:55:41 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
What mic is it? I presume it's analog?

If you had to physically hit your computer to get it working at all, it sounds like you might have a bad jack.

Also, the slider you're talking about is probably for mic gain, not boost. Most drivers will have an alternative "Mic Boost" checkbox you have to check in order for unpowered analog mics to give you anything close to usable volume.

It's this mic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826275021

THis is a screencap of my audio driver:

http://i.imgur.com/7WwhdX1.png
I don't see any check boxes and I also don't see anything for gain.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#5KillerTrufflePosted 3/3/2014 5:02:07 PM
I guess Windows 7 also replaced the checkbox with a slider (I just looked). I'm gonna guess it's just a hardware fault in that case. I don't see any reason to think it might be software...

BTW, that driver is about as ugly as the code text you always type in. :P
---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 3/3/2014 5:03:27 PM
^ Actually, have you tried plugging it into the other jack (front panel vs. rear or vice versa)? Your driver might be working with the wrong input... Unlikely to be the problem, but it's possible.
---
#7MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 5:08:29 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I guess Windows 7 also replaced the checkbox with a slider (I just looked). I'm gonna guess it's just a hardware fault in that case. I don't see any reason to think it might be software...

Hmm...

KillerTruffle posted...
BTW, that driver is about as ugly as the code text you always type in. :P

Ik it does, mobo performs very well in terms of performance but boy is the software crap.

KillerTruffle posted...
^ Actually, have you tried plugging it into the other jack (front panel vs. rear or vice versa)? Your driver might be working with the wrong input... Unlikely to be the problem, but it's possible.

Probably should've done this first. Will try now.
---
#8MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 4:57:47 AM
KillerTruffle posted...

...I'm an idiot. That completely solved the problem. *facepalm*
---