This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm actually considering getting a "cheap" gaming laptop. How's this?

#11electroflamePosted 3/3/2014 9:15:47 PM
Zachnorn posted...
Does this laptop fail at being a decent laptop?

Decent.
Laptop.

Does not compute.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#12AraphosPosted 3/3/2014 9:27:13 PM
Gaming Desktop + cheap laptop = the cost of a gaming laptop
#13Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 11:49:37 PM
Thanks so far, everyone!

By the way, I appreciate that some of you are trying to be helpful with telling me that gaming laptops are overpriced and that I should upgrade my desktop or get a desktop+cheap laptop, and I offer the same advice to people as well.

That said, I'm not in that situation. If I were, I wouldn't be asking about this because I know that gaming on a laptop isn't the best. My problem is that I'm going to be in an apartment with roommates, and I doubt I'll have the space for a desktop to sit somewhere. If I find out that I can bring it without a problem, I'll give up on the gaming laptop idea.

My other alternative is to give up on PC gaming (or just play old PC games) for a period of a few months and just switch to my 3DS. The only thing is that the games are more expensive on 3DS, so if I can get cheaper games on PC and don't need to spend much of a premium on a gaming laptop compared to an "everyday" laptop, I'd prefer to do that.

32x2z posted...
If you can't take your gaming desktop with you, it might be wise to sell it unless you're not going to be gone for long.

It will still be in use, although not as a gaming desktop, but instead as a server and alternate PC for my mom. I could get rid of my 7870 though, I suppose. I'll be gone for 2-3 months, at least.

PhilOnDez posted...
How soon do you need it? I'm actually interested in a maxwell/Haswell laptop and hopefully the 800m series will launch soonish.

By this weekend. I have Amazon Prime and I'm near a Newegg warehouse (which means same day or next day pickup), and I live near a Best Buy, Frys, Staples, and Office Depot. I'm also near Walmart and Target, but I have yet to see them carry any decent laptops.
---
<D
Sigs are overrated. Seriously.
#14jedinatPosted 3/4/2014 12:06:06 AM
Zachnorn posted...
so if I can get cheaper games on PC and don't need to spend much of a premium on a gaming laptop compared to an "everyday" laptop, I'd prefer to do that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231238

I found that. Nice GPU. Refurbished though, and crappy hard drive/screen, etc., but that's to be expected.
#1532x2zPosted 3/4/2014 12:17:36 AM
If you're not sharing a room, then bring your PC, and get the key to the door, and keep it locked when you're not there. Problem solved.
#16Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 12:40:12 AM
I'll be sharing a room with one other person, so unfortunately, that's likely not possible unless I can get more details on the place and if I can somehow talk to my roommate first about it (and I don't know who that is yet).

jedinat posted...
Zachnorn posted...
so if I can get cheaper games on PC and don't need to spend much of a premium on a gaming laptop compared to an "everyday" laptop, I'd prefer to do that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231238

I found that. Nice GPU. Refurbished though, and crappy hard drive/screen, etc., but that's to be expected.

This might be what I'm looking for, thanks!
---
<D
Sigs are overrated. Seriously.
#1732x2zPosted 3/4/2014 12:57:22 AM
Make sure to warranty anything refurbished you purchase. Definitely don't want to be out 700 dollars.
#18thebladeofwoePosted 3/4/2014 1:33:17 AM
nothing wrong with that AMD to one you . posted, I have one with Xfire cards In, and runs everything I chuck at it medium/low with decent frames
---
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.
Fc 3969-4396-9870 FS: Phanpy, nincada, diggersby
#19ConkerPosted 3/4/2014 2:22:04 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#20ConkerPosted 3/4/2014 2:23:04 AM
^Oops, missed the link.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!