This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm actually considering getting a "cheap" gaming laptop. How's this?

#21ArkonBladePosted 3/4/2014 1:35:52 AM
I would wait till you move in to your new place. I am sure you could find a way to fit a small computer desk in there.

Its a decent laptop for gaming but if you got a desktop I would try to make that work any way I could. You cant upgrade your CPU or GPU in a Laptop. When that starts to go and doesn't run newer games well you have to spend a ton more to get a whole new Laptop. to where you could have just spent a few hundred on a new GPU for your desktop.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#22Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 10:47:21 AM
I may end up doing that. I just don't know when I'll be able to move my PC 350 miles and if it would be worth it to get a computer desk for a place I'll be for a few months. Part of my concern is that I may end up moving around a lot, but I'm still waiting for more information on that.
---
<D
Sigs are overrated. Seriously.
#2332x2zPosted 3/4/2014 10:54:43 AM
Zachnorn posted...
I may end up doing that. I just don't know when I'll be able to move my PC 350 miles and if it would be worth it to get a computer desk for a place I'll be for a few months. Part of my concern is that I may end up moving around a lot, but I'm still waiting for more information on that.

I tend to move around a lot, so I just brought a small coffee table, put my desktop (back when I gamed) on it along with two monitors +KB/M and called it a day. Just remember it's only as complicated as you want it to be.
#24Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 6:44:49 PM
That's a good point, and I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm still not sure if I'll get another laptop at all or just use what I have (which works fine, but has cosmetic damage and is getting old). I'm still considering laptops in general in case I decide to replace it.

I went out to some stores and I saw this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231521

It looks like what I'm looking for, except I cannot remove its battery (I'd like to be able to when it inevitably wears out in a few years). Besides that, should this run some games?

It was silly of me to not mention most of the games that I play. Here's some of the ones I spend most of my time on:
Left 4 Dead 2
Payday 2
Minecraft
Oblivion (maybe Skyrim at some point)
Burnout Paradise
GTA IV
---
<D
#25machetemanPosted 3/4/2014 7:14:31 PM
$800 and below is really cutting it for "gaming laptop". I'm actually in the market for a gaming laptop and I'm really looking at the Lenovo Y510P. $1000 is pretty much what you are going to be looking at for a "cheap" gaming laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313584

Anything cheaper and your graphics card becomes much worse and much harder to reliably game on.
#26Treason686Posted 3/4/2014 8:13:52 PM
Some folks don't know what it's like to move around several times in the span of a couple years.

I actually like the original Acer you posted. As long as you have realistic expectations, it can run any game out on med/low, and some on high while still being under five pounds

The Y510P looks nice also, but it's 6.5 pounds. That's pretty damn heavy for a 15.6" laptop even if it is significantly more powerful.

You're also losing out on the touch screen, which is a great feature to have.
---
I <3 segfault
#27Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 10:13:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. How important is the touch screen? I've only lightly used it with the Windows 8 Start screen at some store demos. What else does Windows 8 or programs/apps do with the touch screen?
---
<D
#28Treason686Posted 3/5/2014 7:31:27 PM
Zachnorn posted...
Thanks for the advice. How important is the touch screen? I've only lightly used it with the Windows 8 Start screen at some store demos. What else does Windows 8 or programs/apps do with the touch screen?

There's not really much to say. It's a touch screen. Metro was designed with the touch screen in mind, and the same perks of a touch screen phone or tablet apply to a laptop. Metro is awful with a mouse, in my opinion, but it's actually a pretty good interface when used with a touch screen.
---
I <3 segfault