This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm actually considering getting a "cheap" gaming laptop. How's this?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm actually considering getting a "cheap" gaming laptop. How's this?

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 years ago#21
I would wait till you move in to your new place. I am sure you could find a way to fit a small computer desk in there.

Its a decent laptop for gaming but if you got a desktop I would try to make that work any way I could. You cant upgrade your CPU or GPU in a Laptop. When that starts to go and doesn't run newer games well you have to spend a ton more to get a whole new Laptop. to where you could have just spent a few hundred on a new GPU for your desktop.
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Zachnorn

Zachnorn
2 years ago#22
I may end up doing that. I just don't know when I'll be able to move my PC 350 miles and if it would be worth it to get a computer desk for a place I'll be for a few months. Part of my concern is that I may end up moving around a lot, but I'm still waiting for more information on that.
<D
Sigs are overrated. Seriously.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
2 years ago#23
Zachnorn posted...
I may end up doing that. I just don't know when I'll be able to move my PC 350 miles and if it would be worth it to get a computer desk for a place I'll be for a few months. Part of my concern is that I may end up moving around a lot, but I'm still waiting for more information on that.

I tend to move around a lot, so I just brought a small coffee table, put my desktop (back when I gamed) on it along with two monitors +KB/M and called it a day. Just remember it's only as complicated as you want it to be.

Zachnorn
2 years ago#24
That's a good point, and I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm still not sure if I'll get another laptop at all or just use what I have (which works fine, but has cosmetic damage and is getting old). I'm still considering laptops in general in case I decide to replace it.

I went out to some stores and I saw this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231521

It looks like what I'm looking for, except I cannot remove its battery (I'd like to be able to when it inevitably wears out in a few years). Besides that, should this run some games?

It was silly of me to not mention most of the games that I play. Here's some of the ones I spend most of my time on:
Left 4 Dead 2
Payday 2
Minecraft
Oblivion (maybe Skyrim at some point)
Burnout Paradise
GTA IV
<D

User Info: macheteman

macheteman
2 years ago#25
$800 and below is really cutting it for "gaming laptop". I'm actually in the market for a gaming laptop and I'm really looking at the Lenovo Y510P. $1000 is pretty much what you are going to be looking at for a "cheap" gaming laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313584

Anything cheaper and your graphics card becomes much worse and much harder to reliably game on.

User Info: Treason686

Treason686
2 years ago#26
Some folks don't know what it's like to move around several times in the span of a couple years.

I actually like the original Acer you posted. As long as you have realistic expectations, it can run any game out on med/low, and some on high while still being under five pounds

The Y510P looks nice also, but it's 6.5 pounds. That's pretty damn heavy for a 15.6" laptop even if it is significantly more powerful.

You're also losing out on the touch screen, which is a great feature to have.
I <3 segfault

Zachnorn
2 years ago#27
Thanks for the advice. How important is the touch screen? I've only lightly used it with the Windows 8 Start screen at some store demos. What else does Windows 8 or programs/apps do with the touch screen?
<D

User Info: Treason686

Treason686
2 years ago#28
Zachnorn posted...
Thanks for the advice. How important is the touch screen? I've only lightly used it with the Windows 8 Start screen at some store demos. What else does Windows 8 or programs/apps do with the touch screen?

There's not really much to say. It's a touch screen. Metro was designed with the touch screen in mind, and the same perks of a touch screen phone or tablet apply to a laptop. Metro is awful with a mouse, in my opinion, but it's actually a pretty good interface when used with a touch screen.
I <3 segfault
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm actually considering getting a "cheap" gaming laptop. How's this?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived