This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Monitor saying no signal?

#1SkaterUBPosted 3/4/2014 10:12:54 AM
My family has an HP PC that is years old. Everything worked fine but they said that the monitor has no signal.

The monitor turns on and runs through the channels but comes up with nothing and goes back to sleep. I disconnected the VGA cable and reconnected them but nothing happened. I don't know what to do.

Anybody have a clue?
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#2Worknofun370Posted 3/4/2014 10:15:27 AM
First, Is it set to the proper input channel? As in, is it set to be displaying things from a DVI connection rather than the VGA Connection.

Second, does a different monitor work with the computer?

Lastly, does that monitor work on a different computer?
#3Killah PriestPosted 3/4/2014 10:16:49 AM(edited)
at this point I can only offer general troubleshooting tips to eliminate variables.

try another port or try another monitor using that same port

try a different cable

that too.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 10:17:14 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
First, Is it set to the proper input channel? As in, is it set to be displaying things from a DVI connection rather than the VGA Connection.

I can't even change any input channel. It searches and then sleeps. I can't change anything.

I don't have another monitor or computer to test out your other points or else I would try. This is not at my house
---
#5KillerTrufflePosted 3/4/2014 10:19:22 AM
No one has a laptop or something you can borrow long enough to test it out?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6Worknofun370Posted 3/4/2014 10:19:25 AM
SkaterUB posted...
Worknofun370 posted...

I can't even change any input channel. It searches and then sleeps. I can't change anything.

I don't have another monitor or computer to test out your other points or else I would try. This is not at my house

I'm sure they have neighbors or friends with a computer.
#7ShubPosted 3/4/2014 10:22:21 AM(edited)
If you have a laptop, you could bring it to where the monitor is and hook it up to the laptop.
Or if it's feasible, you could take the monitor home with you and hook it up to your computer. Since apparently it's for your family and it's not working anyway, they shouldn't miss the monitor. Conversely you could bring an outside monitor there and see what happens.
Of course if that's not feasible for logistical reasons, then don't mind me.

Also, this is probably not the case, but does the computer maybe have two VGA outputs (one on the motherboard and one on a discrete video card) and you're not connecting the monitor to the active output (if there's a video card, typically the output on the motherboard would disable itself) ?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 10:23:40 AM
He's old, we're lucky he has a computer.
---
#9SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 10:25:17 AM
Shub posted...
If you have a laptop, you could bring it to where the monitor is and hook it up to the laptop.
Or if it's feasible, you could take the monitor home with you and hook it up to your computer. Since apparently it's for your family and it's not working anyway, they shouldn't miss the monitor. Conversely you could bring an outside monitor there and see what happens.
Of course if that's not feasible for logistical reasons, then don't mind me.

Also, this is probably not the case, but does the computer maybe have two VGA outputs (one on the motherboard and one on a discrete video card) and you're not connecting the monitor to the active output (if there's a video card, typically the output on the motherboard would disable itself) ?

I don't see any other VGA connector. Maybe I'll try and take it home and test it on my computer. I just don't understand why this happened.
---
#10KillerTrufflePosted 3/4/2014 10:28:40 AM(edited)
Well, if the computer is old too, it's not unheard of for a component to fail - the monitor cable, GPU, or something else in the computer. Computer hardware doesn't actually last forever...

EDIT: As long as you're checking things, you might just double check the pins on the monitor cable - both ends - and make sure none of them are bent. A bent pin can easily cause it to not work.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23