This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else feel like expansion packs are dated?

#11Omnipotent_CowPosted 3/4/2014 7:47:56 PM
Expansion packs can deliver a breadth of content that regular DLC, or- God forbid, mircotransactions cannot. The smaller the content, the less it can alter the core game, and the less deep it can be. Sure, it might not come as timely, nor is it as modular, but that's a small sacrifice for the quality that they can deliver.
#12LoshadtPosted 3/4/2014 7:51:00 PM
Expansion packs are good, DLC is bad. By far the greatest expansion pack I have ever seen is Tribunal for Morrowind, which not only added a lot of great content (especially medium armor that didn't suck), but fixed the absolute worst problem in the game.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#13Freelance_WolfPosted 3/4/2014 7:52:42 PM
I still like expansion packs. They usually add a lot to the game as opposed to a billion DLC. I miss the old days where pretty much every big name game had an expansion or two.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#14Celll212Posted 3/4/2014 9:15:18 PM(edited)
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
Expansion packs can deliver a breadth of content that regular DLC, or- God forbid, mircotransactions cannot. The smaller the content, the less it can alter the core game, and the less deep it can be. Sure, it might not come as timely, nor is it as modular, but that's a small sacrifice for the quality that they can deliver.

This is why I feel piracy is so rampant among this generation of gamers (doesn't matter the platform, because all of them have piracy issues) and why it's having an adverse effect on games that are released. They are not getting all of their sales they were projecting, thus they make DLC ahead of time, and release it for the extra income boost.

If we had no piracy at all I feel that DLC packs or what have you wouldn't be released on day 1 or within 2 weeks of the initial release date. Companies would be more profitable, and would not feel the need to suck its customers dry, due to lost "potential sales" they are adding in.

Please note, I am not blaming pirates for this stuff, I am blaming the companies for being so greedy, and for them not releasing quality games that are enjoyable and have a genuine sense of accomplishment. Those games are few and far between, and they are usually swept under the rug by some multi-million dollar title that has as much substance and variety as Justin Bieber.

ETA: The industry to me has began to stagnate and not grow, it is no longer about innovation and creativity, it is 100% about profit now. Which is a nail in the coffin to us and the industry as a whole.
---
|CM HAF 932|I7-4770k @3.5GHZ|8GB Patriot Viper 3@1600MHZ|MSI Twin Frozr 7950|Antec Quattro 850|Samsung Evo 840 120GB|
#15AnnihilatedPosted 3/4/2014 9:22:11 PM
DLC is dated. The only reason we even have it is because console hard drives were small and some internet connections were not that fast. I never buy DLC, ever. Waste of money.
#16LB3Posted 3/4/2014 9:49:35 PM
I like expansion packs more but i also enjoy DLC. I a fan of new content however i can get it.
---
PSN: Bwleon7 Steam: bwleon79
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. -Albert Einstein
#17chandl34Posted 3/4/2014 10:13:05 PM
I've never seen a DLC worth playing. Expansion packs, on the other hand, were usually good.
---
... even on Earth Mode.